Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 44,103 times

Advertisements

What study should I take to obtain the job and H1B(then GreenCard) easily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 12:20 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozo View Post
What study should I take to obtain the job and H1B(then GreenCard) easily?
Two industries that there is a desperate shortage of in the U.S. that frequently recruit from abroad are nursing and computer programming. As someone interested in Finance, I doubt you have much interest in either of these two areas or of shifting your focus or career path so drastically, but those are two of the best fields to get into for people from other countries seeking to emigrate to the U.S.

For the record, the top-ranked undergraduate Finance programs according to U.S. News and World Report are:

* = public school

1. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
2. New York University (Stern)
3. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor *
4. University of California–Berkeley (Haas) *
5. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology (Sloan)
6. University of Texas–Austin (McCombs) *
7. Indiana University–Bloomington (Kelley) *
Ohio State University–Columbus (Fisher) *
9. U. of North Carolina–Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler) *
10. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
University of Virginia (McIntire) *
12. Univ. of Southern California (Marshall)
13. University of Florida (Warrington) *
Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison *
15. University of Washington *
16. U. of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign *
17. Washington University in St. Louis (Olin)
18. Boston College (Carroll)
Univ. of Maryland–College Park (Smith) *
University of Notre Dame (IN)
21. Pennsylvania State U.–University Park (Smeal) *
Purdue Univ.–West Lafayette (Krannert) (IN)*

This data is from 2005 but the schools don't change in rankings all that much. Of course, these schools are also more competitive and you can find perfectly good Finance programs at smaller schools, but I just thought I'd post this for your information.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:52 PM

364 posts, read 526,998 times
I have obtained my degree, in Finance, from Arizona State. Great school!!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:43 AM

10 posts, read 44,103 times
Ok, I understand. Now, the problem is money. I found this website: www.internationalstudentloan.com but:

All non-US applicants require a US co-signer
Applying with a US co-signer is required to be approved - there are no exceptions!

The co-signer must meet all of the following criteria:

Have a satisfactory credit, residence and employment history of at least two years.
Have proof of current income (if self-employed have been in business for at least two years).
Be a US Citizen or permanent resident and have resided in the USA for the previous two years.

And I don't have a co-signer in USA, but I have in Romania. There are some possibilities to loan with a co-signer from Romania(outside USA)?
Thanks a lot!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/index.html?student

This website has a tool that allows you to search for colleges based on your major, region of the U.S., and many other factors. There is also info on financial aid. This is a reliable source of information.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:57 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,798 times
I am going to the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) this fall and they have a LOT of international students. The college is very cultural. It is a fairly large campus, 31,968 students. It is good that you are using the internet to research your choices. You can see them online at www.UTSA.edu to see what they offer.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,125 times
Default Mba dream in usa

[FONT=Verdana]As for easier learners the university in [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]USA[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] provides best path. The best among them is MBA. The course durations for MBA in [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]USA[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] University is just one year. This is equally standard to all other universities in the world and you can register for this through internet. So make your dream true……… Be a part in [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]USA[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]University[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]. [/FONT]

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-16-2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: manual signatures not allowed

Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,123 times
Default university in USA

The University of Florida is a right place where you get all you expected. It provides quality education and also the scholarships(financial aid) for the meritious sutdents. You can also check for the Stanford University,Duke University and Yale University

-------------

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-16-2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: manual signatures not allowed

Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
It goes without saying but I'll say it anyways . Study as hard as you can and try to get good grades in hopes of getting a scholarship to significantly lower the cost. Public universities are cheaper than private universities. However, generally smaller schools, especially private, seem to work hard at recruiting international students as they feel they're an asset to their campus.
I disagree with this premise. Public universities are only cheaper for the residents of the state in which they reside (in the vast majority of the cases). As an international student, he'll be paying quite a bit more; even more than what a private university would cost. On top of that, I lot of the institutional aid (scholarships, grants, etc.) are designated for local residents as well. Again there may be exceptions to this rule....but from what I've seen (from attending a state school myself, and then working at a different state university now) in my experience.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
The streets in the U.S. are no longer paved with gold and have not been for decades. You might very well be better off to remain in Romania, especially if your government offers inexpensive tuition for students. Right now, tens of millions of Americans are unemployed or underemployed, including millions of people with college degrees, many of whom are burdened by large college student loans that they cannot get rid of in bankruptcy.

Also, health care is NOT provided by the government in the U.S. In Romania you probably don't have to worry about health care concerns at all. In contrast, in the U.S. over 40 million Americans do not have any health insurance coverage at all and many millions more have poor insurance. It's also a nation where the wealthy people are becoming wealthier at the expense of the lower classes. You might also be shocked to know that Americans often work long, hard hours that might be unheard of in most of Europe.

You might very well have a better life if you stay in Romania and focus on trying to help Romania develop its economy than you would coming to the U.S. which now has a dying economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities