U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:13 PM

64 posts, read 168,514 times

Advertisements

Im so lost on my major and minor...I enjoy the news and always interested in wahts going on in the world. I enjoy watching sports and talking about them and enjoy writing. Any ideas for me???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 04:38 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,301,645 times
International Affairs. What I majored in.

Hands down, the best academic major as it is heavy on history, geography, political science, etc....and the IA majors are some of the coolest cats on campus.

It's even better if you choose to do your degree at a school in DC or NYC, since your career options and chances for internships are virtually limitless.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:55 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,620,082 times
What can you do w/IA besides be a white house intern, and we all know what that entails

Just joking

Seriously what can you do with that?

Also it is not the best major to take, but the best Fraternity to join

Life is about connections

Again just kidding

But something like finance, engineering.

Something that gives you a skill that no one can take away

Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 PM

148 posts, read 585,638 times
With IA you could beome a Foreign Service officer (if you pass the exams etc), see the world paid for by Uncle Sam, and retire in 20 years.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:29 AM

603 posts, read 2,172,747 times
You described skills and interests that would go well with Communication (news Broadcasting/Sports Broadcasting).

Old 09-20-2008, 12:04 PM

305 posts, read 1,605,344 times
Communication sounds good, as does journalism (different but related and often universities clump them together). You could do cmn or journalism and minor in something related to sports, then go on to be a sports writer.

No offense, NJ Chutzpah, but finance or engineering are the last majors I would recommend for something with the OP's interests. Writing is not very prevalent in these, unless you like writing and learning about financial news (financial/business journalist, tech writer).

You should also take into consideration the college you'll be attending; if you're going to school in California and attending a UC (University of California) majors are going to be more theory-intensive, whereas the state schools in California (CSU - California State University) are much more practical. The differences make a huge difference in the kinds of classes you take and the knowledge you come away with. I attended UC Davis and loved my communication classes because of the theory, but my husband was an engineering major and hated it because he wanted more of a practical education; he ended up transferring to a state school because of it.

If you haven't applied for schools yet, I'd research carefully, paying attention to the differences in class curriculums and the leanings of the colleges in general; if you've already been accepted/started school somewhere (or are going to start this quarter), then I'd recommend talking to an advisor about the best programs for you, depending on how you best learn and what you're interested in. A lot of schools also have peer advising, so you can talk to other students about their classes and experiences.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:12 AM

64 posts, read 168,514 times
The classes i have so far injoyed were sociology, psyc, theories of personality, criminology, writing, intro to law, I like classes were I can express my opinion more then classes that are straight out of the books. was thinkin bout minoring in journalism...not sure about major yet maybe justice and paralegal studies

Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 AM

325 posts, read 2,863,104 times
Do you plan on going on to grad school, or stopping at undergrad? If you're stopping at undergrad, it's much more important to pick up skills that will aid you in a career. If you're going on to grad school, it's better to try a variety of classes to see what piques your interest.

You're going to have a tough time finding classes that allow you to express your opinion. When I was an undergrad, one of my college professors lamented that "these days" colleges want you to "dumb down" the classes. When he was teaching at Yale it was common for students to write a 25 page paper for a class. If you require that now (back then) at UCLA, students would revolt. For that, size of classes, and other reasons, it's less practical to evaluate written papers.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:40 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,587,401 times
Communications/Mass Comm?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:44 AM

305 posts, read 1,605,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jencoo22 View Post
The classes i have so far injoyed were sociology, psyc, theories of personality, criminology, writing, intro to law, I like classes were I can express my opinion more then classes that are straight out of the books. was thinkin bout minoring in journalism...not sure about major yet maybe justice and paralegal studies
Have you talked to an adviser? I really recommend doing that, especially if there are peer/student advisers who have taken classes in the majors you're interested in, and can help you out what other classes to take later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
You're going to have a tough time finding classes that allow you to express your opinion. When I was an undergrad, one of my college professors lamented that "these days" colleges want you to "dumb down" the classes.
I was always encouraged to express my opinion, especially if it differed from the norm, in my Literature/Writing classes. It was a lot of fun, especially when playing devil's advocate just for the experience.

Last edited by ElleBebe; 09-21-2008 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: added second response w/quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities