Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,275 times

Advertisements

A few tricks for college textbooks.

1. If it is the teachers book ask if they can get a deal, most decent teachers will get you a deal or even give you the book for free. I've had this happen a couple of times.

2. Odds are your school library will have the book on reserve, meaning that you can take the book and make copies as you need them, this nice because you almost never need every chapter.

3. Check with the teacher, I would say 70-80% of the time you can use the previous edition, which tends to be 1/2 the price or less.

4.Find a friend who used the book, especially if it is a book with a cd and workbook, a lot of students will sell their books to another student first to avoid having to mail it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 AM

305 posts, read 1,728,984 times
Good tips! The library one is especially good; most students don't realize that there are usually a few copies of textbooks in the library. Make sure you ask your professor at the beginning of the term, though, because some of them don't request the library have a copy of the text unless students ask for it.

A couple more tips:

5. If you sign up for a class and the textbook is wrapped in cellophane (it often happens for textbooks with CDs or extra materials), don't unwrap it until you're sure you're going to stay in the class. If you drop the class and the book has been unwrapped, the bookstore won't accept it for a refund and you'll have to sell it back as used.

6. Go in on an expensive book with another student; you'll gain a study partner and won't have to pay as much. I wouldn't do that with more than one person though; you won't be using the book all the time, but if you have to share it with more than one person you might not get as much time to study as you need.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Some schools will get the list of books from the teach and keep copies, and also some schools like mine kept copies that you could check out, but not take out of the library that way there will always be one there.

I once stopped a friend, a freshman from buying all of her semesters books at once, from the bookstore, it was close.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
7. You can buy books from half.com, or other online purveyors to save money.

8. Check school-related message boards, often someone will sell you their book for a price substantially less than the bookstore (usually above the "buyback" rate).

On a related note, I don't know if checking a book out from the library and making copies of it is actually legal.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM

As long as it's for personal use it's not really an issue, your not selling the copies.
Also my college had something called eres where we could put copies of articles or 10% of a book, or basically anything written, onto a system that students could then print.

I wasn't talking about copying the whole book, just needed sections.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:11 PM

325 posts, read 2,994,805 times
The best trick is not to buy the book at all. Most (of my) classes didn't reference the book or require it to do well in classes. Especially nowadays, since you can find sooo much information on the internet.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:23 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
A few tricks for college textbooks.

1. If it is the teachers book ask if they can get a deal, most decent teachers will get you a deal or even give you the book for free. I've had this happen a couple of times.

Yes, you'd be amazed at how many editions and extra books we have. Sometimes, we're just looking at books to give away.

2. Odds are your school library will have the book on reserve, meaning that you can take the book and make copies as you need them, this nice because you almost never need every chapter.

Sometimes not even just on reserve. Sometimes it's in regular circulation.

3. Check with the teacher, I would say 70-80% of the time you can use the previous edition, which tends to be 1/2 the price or less.

I'd bump that up to 90%, unless we're using a completely different book.

4.Find a friend who used the book, especially if it is a book with a cd and workbook, a lot of students will sell their books to another student first to avoid having to mail it.

That's good too.
If the book has an online component, sometimes you can pay the $35 for that and it has an e-book that goes with it.

There are some bookstores like Half Price Books that have popular textbooks for a fraction of the list price.

Last edited by anadyr21; 09-23-2008 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
As long as it's for personal use it's not really an issue, your not selling the copies.

I wasn't talking about copying the whole book, just needed sections.
Without consent giving by the publisher, this would still be illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
The best trick is not to buy the book at all. Most (of my) classes didn't reference the book or require it to do well in classes. Especially nowadays, since you can find sooo much information on the internet.
Yup I agree, but I would ask former students if the book was needed or not, not the professor.

The best piece of advice so far is that if you are going to buy a text book, then buy the previous edition. I purchased the eighth edition of an Oceanography textbook for under ten bucks (with shipping) while most of the other students bought the new ninth edition, which set them back $160 (a few bought the ninth edition from Half, but still ended up spending around $70). The funny thing is that the teacher even recommended buying the older edition as the two books are almost identical in content.

Another thing came to mind: you can also save tons of money if you buy a very used copy; the more 'used' it is, then usually the cheaper.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,437 times
College textbooks are an egregious rip-off. The publishers crank out new editions merely to discourage the used book market.

Back in the late 1990s, I read from a source I considered reliable (but I cannot now remember) that college textbooks provided 25% of the profits -- that's profits, not revenues -- of the publishing industry in North America. They have students by the ... short hairs ... and they are raping them for every piastre they can.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 PM

Buying textbooks stinks, but you do tend to need them, I used to try to find every option I could before buying a book, and I never paid full price.

I remember one of my fav. history teachers had so many books that he could not do meetings in his very large office. He was a great resource for books when I had to write a paper.

Seriously though, I do say use your library. When I worked at my college library so few students used the library, because they never knew about what they could find, and there options. Also librarians can help you find alternatives.

including getting a textbook from another school, so that even if your school doesn't have it they can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities