Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I would agree. As a current college student, and one that has to foot the majority of my own bills, my life would be a BREEZE if all I had to do was go to school. I can just imagine how simple life would be and what an accomplished student I would be if I could focus solely on school without having to factor in things like - Where will I live? What areas are affordable? What areas have job opportunities? How will I pay rent and misc. bills? Do I need roommates?
I don't mean to sound like "Hard-Hearted Hannah" here, but what about student loans? What about applying for some scholarships? My daughter is in a grad student program where the students are much discouraged from working, due to the amout of time committment needed for the program. So she is living on student loans and scholarships. The nursing program I was in as an undergrad left little to no time for work. I think it's better to take out the loans and concentrate on school than to try to work and go to school at the same time. I see nothing wrong with "just" going to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
The maturity level between a 20 and a 23 year old may not be that great. There are some 40 year olds that are less mature than 20 year olds...

"Maturity" is also quite ambiguous...

Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 PM

442 posts, read 1,572,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't mean to sound like "Hard-Hearted Hannah" here, but what about student loans? What about applying for some scholarships? My daughter is in a grad student program where the students are much discouraged from working, due to the amout of time committment needed for the program. So she is living on student loans and scholarships. The nursing program I was in as an undergrad left little to no time for work. I think it's better to take out the loans and concentrate on school than to try to work and go to school at the same time. I see nothing wrong with "just" going to college.
I took out a very small loan for my first semester away from home, but since I am an undergrad, it seems unnecessary to take out alot of loans. I don't have to pay for my college right now, but if I want to move away I have to pay for all of the expenses. It seems like I would have to take out a rather large student loan to cover my living expenses (A room shared with roommates is $400 a pop, on average here in FL, plus utilities, food, gas, etc). I was brought up to work for my money and not incur too much debt, I don't come from a college-bound family. Plus, the sound of $20,000+ of debt for a Bachelor's degree is frightening. Considering I've heard of many people with Master's degrees who can barely find a job that pays more than $30-40k a year, yet I know people who have gone to tech. school or worked the ropes and make that salary easily without the debt. It's a crapshoot!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
^^^If it is more important to you to work now instead of taking out loans and working later to pay them off, then you have to accept that you may get lower grades, which may jeapordize your job opportunities. I think some employers would rather see a graduate who applied him/herself to school.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-03-2008 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: removed some redundant words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities