Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM

13 posts, read 120,812 times

Advertisements

Most of the universities in North America do require GMAT or GRE for their master's program, but i know only a tiny minority require neither, such as UMD(Master of Business), UIUC(Master of Accountance), U of Villanova(Master of Accountancy), etc. Can anybody provide some information on the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM

690 posts, read 2,101,979 times
Why are you worried about the GMAT? It seems to me that if you plan to put in the work to get a Master's that the GMAT would be the least of your worries.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,375,861 times
The GMAT is a difficult test. But it is nothing to be afraid of. Go to your local bookstore and buy one of those GMAT prep books. Take enough of the tests so you understand what the test format is. The test format may be somewhat different from what you are used to.

For the reading comprehension part of the test, do this: 1) read the question, 2) skim read for the answer, 3) detail read the answer only 4) answer the question.

I had been out of college for 20 years and followed this method. I scored a 650 on the GMAT...so the method worked quite well for me.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM

690 posts, read 2,101,979 times
I hear that the GMAT Review is the best prep book. And you can take online practice tests for free at mba.com. It will tell you your score immediately after you finish. You should take one of those tests if you haven't already. It's recommended that you take one practice test before you do any studying...you might be surprised at your score.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,594,457 times
The GMAT is nothing. If you plan on being a CPA, the GMAT is a joke compared to the CPA exam.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,690,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
The GMAT is nothing. If you plan on being a CPA, the GMAT is a joke compared to the CPA exam.
Agreed. You can get a 600 on the GMAT without cracking a book and a 650 with minimal effort. While not amazing scores, they should be enough to get you into a MACCT program. The CPA is another story; it takes blood, sweat, and tears to pass a section (I'm talking about you, FAR) let alone the whole thing. Best of luck.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,375,861 times
A business school trhat doesn't require a GMAT usually get less respect from hiring authorities.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 45,158 times
It's amazing to read these posts. I got my college degree nearly eons ago, and the only college "admission" test I ever took was a non-study, quick show-up SAT test on a Saturday morning in high school where I didn't worry about the score, didn't study and got a 600 immediately on the basic exam and a 700 on the English Achievement test without ever seeing one practice question or reading a manual. ( you weren't allowed to then; the nature of the exam was kept a secret )

Since that time, I've accumulated 8 years of college, including liberal studies at Dartmouth and still never taken a GRE, GMAT, or anything resembling them. Am I educated? Absolutely! And therein lies the secret, namely, getting a real education, not just worrying about scores or even your precious GPA. GPA's today are so inflated (speaking as a former college professor) that most are a joke because they are often gifts to keep the grading statistics high and the teacher recommendations in good standing at a school to get more students enrolled.

The key to finding the right school is what they teach and who teaches it and how much you believe you'll learn, not some stupid score delivered by the Educational Testing Service out of Princeton, which primarily is interested in making money from the fees.

Get educated, even if that means you'll have to self-educate yourself. Then go excel. If you have to take some dumb test, do so, but don’t drive yourself to drink if your scores are not what you want. Admissions essays are almost as important ( speaking as a long-time editor/mentor who helps lots of grad students write them) Then do something worthwhile in the real world. Someone important will notice and be interested and help you succeed further. Most of all, love what you do. It will probably then love you.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:27 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,852,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbvcxz View Post
Most of the universities in North America do require GMAT or GRE for their master's program, but i know only a tiny minority require neither, such as UMD(Master of Business), UIUC(Master of Accountance), U of Villanova(Master of Accountancy), etc. Can anybody provide some information on the others?
FYI, most master's of accounting programs are really just extensions of their undergraduate accounting programs. The CPA exam generally requires 150 hours of class work to be eligible to sit for the exam. In past years, schools would do 5 year bachelor's programs but they all pretty much now do 4+1 programs where you get a bachelor's after 4 years and a master's after an additional year. So the vast majority of the students in a master's program are coming straight from the undergraduate accounting program at the same institution.

For these students, there is really no need to take the GMAT, as admissions is really not competitive for them and the school already knows that they can handle the program. It's just a second senior year for them. It's not uncommon for 85 slots at a 100 student program fitting this profile. The competition for the remaining 15 slots may be very competitive.

For students that did not go to the undergraduate program, the school would need to evaluate the candidate based on whether they could handle the rigors of a graduate accounting program. If they had success at a similar undergraduate accounting program, they may not need a GMAT score, as the admission's staff would have enough information to base their decision on. If the applicant came from an inferior school, did not do that well in school, or did not have an undergraduate accounting degree, I would think a strong GMAT score would probably be an important factor in the decision making as to whether they could handle the program.

Anyways, UIUC and Maryland are strong and very reputable accounting programs. I have no clue about Villanova, but the overall university is reputable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities