Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times

Advertisements

I am not sure what to tell my gf on this, she is just wanting to get through school and get her degree... and is wondering if she should clep out of her classes. She has thought about teaching before, which requires her masters... so if she were to do that, would a grad school look bad on her that she didn't take 60 hours of junior/senior credit and only the I think 40 she needs and clep the others just to get 120. I have no clue how they evaluate them so, not sure what to tell her, thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM

bump nebody?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:07 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
I'm not exactly clear on what's going on here. As I understand it, CLEP was the precursor to AP (Advanced Placement), and I understand some colleges still accept CLEP scores. If your gf gets a degree, it won't look "bad" on her transcript is she has some credits from CLEP. Like AP and IB, it is up to the colleges to accept these courses or not, regardless of scores. Some colleges have limits on how many credits can be "earned" this way, and in what areas (e.g major vs electives, etc).

Old 03-28-2009, 12:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,303,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I am not sure what to tell my gf on this, she is just wanting to get through school and get her degree... and is wondering if she should clep out of her classes. She has thought about teaching before, which requires her masters... so if she were to do that, would a grad school look bad on her that she didn't take 60 hours of junior/senior credit and only the I think 40 she needs and clep the others just to get 120. I have no clue how they evaluate them so, not sure what to tell her, thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.
Perhaps she should ask her advisor.....

Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Her current advisor doesn't really know as they are of course at a different school and not a grad advisor.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Quote:
Her current advisor doesn't really know as they are of course at a different school and not a grad advisor.
Her advisor should know enough to be able to answer that question. It is their job to help their students with grad school placement.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Her advisor should know enough to be able to answer that question. It is their job to help their students with grad school placement.
maybe time for her to get a new advisor, or talk to somebody higher up

Old 03-28-2009, 02:15 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,112,796 times
Quote:

Thanks.

To answer your question it depends on the school but I do not think it really matters if the tuition requirements are in her hands at the time of request.

Also, she may want to think again about going to a school that accepts more than a course or two of CLEP grades.

However, it seems like a no brainer because she must first decide what she wants to do then go to see the Grad school advisor in the school she is planning to attend. The advisor will inform her of of the minimum requirements or just ask.

In closing you are assuming she has the knowledge to pass all CLEP courses and you may be correct but my wife was an admission counselor many years ago and your gf may not pass all CLEP tests..

Old 03-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
maybe time for her to get a new advisor, or talk to somebody higher up

Perhaps.

I can share my knowledge in this area, re: AP courses. Each college accepts what they feel like accepting, accoridng to their policies. Most have limits on how many credits. You are talking about her getting 1/4 of her credits from CLEP. That may not be possible. It's possible the CLEP credits she has will not be in the right areas of study, so they may end up just as excess credits. As far as junior/senior credit, from my own kids' experience, it would not be possible to get that from CLEP, AP, IB or any other way than taking the courses. It's usually lower-division credit that you get by examination.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Perhaps.

I can share my knowledge in this area, re: AP courses. Each college accepts what they feel like accepting, accoridng to their policies. Most have limits on how many credits. You are talking about her getting 1/4 of her credits from CLEP. That may not be possible. It's possible the CLEP credits she has will not be in the right areas of study, so they may end up just as excess credits. As far as junior/senior credit, from my own kids' experience, it would not be possible to get that from CLEP, AP, IB or any other way than taking the courses. It's usually lower-division credit that you get by examination.

OK let me be a little more specific, and thanks for the information, she will get lower division credit for sure, and it will be as if she only took 3 semesters after her sophomore year essentially. As the course she is doing only requires 42 hours in the 300/400 level classes. but obviously she needs the full 120 hours to graduate. The debate is if more 300/400 classes are going to look better on her transcript for a grad school admission, or just her finishing and doing the minimum to get her degree.

I have also heard the CLEP tests are not as easy as she might be thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities