Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times

Advertisements

Just beginning to think about a mid-life career change and I think the Aquatic Biology/Aquatic Environmental fields may be a good fit for me. I have an education/background in engineering/marketing/entrepeneurship. I pursued these fields more for the career/$ opportunities and now want to pursue something I'm more passionate about. I'm now thinking about going back to school and obtaining a Masters/PhD in Aquatic Biology/Environmentalism. (I'm currently researching these degree programs as they seem to differ by school).

I'm really a researcher/environmentalist at heart and have volunteered at Nature Conservancies, Great Lakes cleanup, Canadian lake surveys, and Caribbean coral reef protection. I am a fit, hands-on, outdoorsy person who loves "getting hands dirty" and could spend all day in the water. I'm enthralled by all fish, aquatic insects, lake/stream ecology, and coral reef spawning. I've always loved research and have been told I have good public speaking/teaching/written communication skills. I am currently working toward a Master Scuba Diver certification w/specialty courses in reef ecology. When I dive with friends, they are often impressed with my knowledge of the ecosystem and ability to identify species in murky waters.

I could really picture myself doing this kind of work as a new career and into retirement. Though my family/friends probably think it's a crazy pipe dream! Is there anyone on this forum with a background in this w/some sage advice? I'm all ears....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
My friend/co-worker did it. His degree and previous work was fashion merchandising, now he is environmental. Recommend you decide what you want to do...research, wildlife management or similar, or into the regulation/management/legal aspects. It will determine which courses you want to take.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:37 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Cubs,
Consider the schools in Florida. Less rigorous but far more hands on fieldwork, which in the case of coral reef protection would be a blast.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
I am a marine biology student. I hope you like math and science and don't have any real desire to make loads of money.

You can identify species in muddy water? That is an impressive skill that would make you highly sought after. Although I don't think you meant species; phylum, order, family, genus, or common name perhaps?

One thing you should keep in mind is that you do not need a marine or aquatic science degree to work in the field. Any general biology, sub-field (ecology, zoology, etc.), math, or chemistry to name a few would be more then sufficient.

U of Hawaii is probably the best for marine ecology. UCSC is really good for that as well. California, Florida, N. Carolina, Massachusetts, and Maine have some of the best schools for the field, but you can go anywhere really.

There are a few schools missing from this list (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan are not even mentioned), but it is a good start to research schools.
US Schools offering Marine Biology degrees - MarineBio.org

Old 04-24-2009, 07:46 AM

314 posts, read 1,104,910 times
Your goals are laudable, but your employment choices are going to be fairly limited. Unless you are going to work in a firm specializing in remediation efforts, you are going to be working for the government- either for some regulatory agency or in education. I spent 8 years as a field researcher before heading for the classroom ten years ago. It's a very rewarding life, but don't plan on too many European vacations.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
My friend/co-worker did it. His degree and previous work was fashion merchandising, now he is environmental.
Thanks, it's good to hear someone has successfully done this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Consider the schools in Florida. Less rigorous but far more hands on fieldwork, which in the case of coral reef protection would be a blast.
I thought about Florida as I've volunteered at the Nature Conservancy there. They also have the only coral reef left in the U.S. and it would be great to be involved in the protection of it. Unfortunately, I'm not in the position to move there now (but maybe in the future).

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I hope you like math and science and don't have any real desire to make loads of money.
yes, yes, and yes (I've already had the career where I could make money - time for something different).

Quote:
You can identify species in muddy water? I don't think you meant species; phylum, order, family, genus, or common name perhaps?
LOL... Now this is why I need to go back to school to learn!

Quote:
One thing you should keep in mind is that you do not need a marine or aquatic science degree to work in the field. Any general biology, sub-field (ecology, zoology, etc.), math, or chemistry to name a few would be more then sufficient.
I am a bit confused by the various degree programs... I am really most interested in research/educating/protecting the ecosystem (particularly Great Lakes and Coral Reef). I'm not as interested in deeply studying specific marine animals. That's why I thought Aquatic Science/Ecology instead of, say, zoology.

Quote:
U of Hawaii is probably the best for marine ecology. UCSC is really good for that as well. California, Florida, N. Carolina, Massachusetts, and Maine have some of the best schools for the field, but you can go anywhere really. There are a few schools missing from this list (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan are not even mentioned), but it is a good start to research schools.
Thanks for the info...Which Illinois schools are good? U of I? I am currently researching Chicago schools (I know...nothing like the environment in Hawaii!). I'm now looking at Loyola which has an Aquatic Biology/Ecology Masters program where you can do Lake Michigan research. I'm also thinking about volunteering at the nearby Shedd Aquarium (maybe as a clean-up diver on the coral reef there).

K-Luv, Do you often see older students/career changers in this field? Though I'm not that old!

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 04-24-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Your goals are laudable, but your employment choices are going to be fairly limited. Unless you are going to work in a firm specializing in remediation efforts, you are going to be working for the government- either for some regulatory agency or in education. I spent 8 years as a field researcher before heading for the classroom ten years ago. It's a very rewarding life, but don't plan on too many European vacations.
Thanks for the info. I know I won't make much money w/this. It is truly a labor of love. I like the field research and am also interested in education... Which areas of education are most in demand (E.g. non-profits like WWF? museum? High School or college teachers?)

Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Another ? for those in this field...

What is the educational path for becoming a "certified aquatic taxonomist"? Is there a demand for people with this specific certification? Is this certification often paid for by employer?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

I am a bit confused by the various degree programs... I am really most interested in research/educating/protecting the ecosystem (particularly Great Lakes and Coral Reef). I'm not as interested in deeply studying specific marine animals. That's why I thought Aquatic Science/Ecology instead of, say, zoology.old!
Those were just examples pointing out that there are many different paths to the same field. The most common path is to generalize in undergrad than specialize in grad school. This is mainly to keep one from painting them-self into a corner.

Pretty much every college in the US has a biology program. What you can do is major in biology with an emphasis on ecology. You can also complement your program with as much aquatic science (or similar courses) as you see necessary.

You will not deeply study any specific marine animal or plant, but you may take an invertebrate zoology course.

There is a program at UMass Boston that might be what you are looking for:
undergrad_requirements

Quote:
Thanks for the info...Which Illinois schools are good? U of I? I am currently researching Chicago schools (I know...nothing like the environment in Hawaii!). I'm now looking at Loyola which has an Aquatic Biology/Ecology Masters program where you can do Lake Michigan research. I'm also thinking about volunteering at the nearby Shedd Aquarium (maybe as a clean-up diver on the coral reef there).
I know that Illinois State U. has marine bio courses, but I am not sure if they have a full on program, but I can guaranty that many colleges on or near the Great Lakes is going to offer some type of major relating to the study and/or resource management of limnology, hydrology, marine, or anything else that has to do with large bodies of water and everything that goes along with that.

Quote:
K-Luv, Do you often see older students/career changers in this field? Though I'm not that old!
Yes. In my program the age range is from 18 into the 50's. The majority of students are 18 and 19 year olds, but I would say that the average age is 25.

One thing you will realize is that a lot of young people get into this type of major because they want to train dolphins, study whales, or study sharks. There is one girl in my program who has the high hopes of working at Sea World as a dolphin trainer. This is actually more common than you may believe. I would say that at least 50% of the freshmen class drops out or changes majors after their first year once they realize that they do not get to play with aquatic mammals at all (possibly) and that they are 'stuck' taking chemistry, calculus, physics (depending on school), and hard-core biology courses (when all they want to do is play with cute animals).

On a side note:

Russia, Norway(?), and the US have started a race to claim as much of the ocean floor (benthic) as possible. It used to be that a country's boundaries extended 3 nautical miles off the coast. Some countries have economic 'safe' zones that can extend out a few hundred nautical miles giving the home country exclusive rights, but this is mostly for fishing. Now, with the Russia/Norway/US thing going on a country's boundaries extend to the edge of the continental shelf, which means that more than half of the US lays under the ocean.

Anyways, the whole reason for all of that is resources. THere are more resources in the ocean than terrestrial and people are now figuring out how to extract them. Ecologists are going to be in high demand in a few years.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Another ? for those in this field...

What is the educational path for becoming a "certified aquatic taxonomist"? Is there a demand for people with this specific certification? Is this certification often paid for by employer?
Not sure who pays for it, but I can tell you this; there is a demand. The further down the taxonomic chain you can go before you resort to a key the more desirable you will be. Hence my previous comment about your amazing ability since species is the last stop in the chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities