Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:20 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,220,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
The reality of it is that most RN programs are terribly hard to get into and even harder to pass.
That's true, my wife is a nurse & she always said her program was basically an abbreviated version of medical school, the only real difference is that nurses do not have to complete a residency like an M.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
That's true, my wife is a nurse & she always said her program was basically an abbreviated version of medical school, the only real difference is that nurses do not have to complete a residency like an M.D.
Well, that and 4 years of post-graduate education after the baccalaureate

Old 05-03-2009, 12:57 AM

242 posts, read 786,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I am currently taking pre-reqs so I can apply for the nursing school next year, and let me tell you, the Anatomy & Physiology courses are really tough! It's just memorization, but you really need to study every day at least 1-2 hours to succeed due to the sheer amount of materials you have to memorize in such a short time. My class was full when the semester started, but it dwindled to probably 6-8 people left by the end of semester because people were dropping out like flies.

The economic downturn has also resulted in unprecedented amount of applicants to the nursing program in my area. I was told by the nursing program's admission officer in my local community college that they received 700 applicants for the Fall 2009 semester competing for 100 seats. The lowest GPA who got in was 3.50.

The CNA route is probably the best way to get your daughter's feet wet, so to speak. Have her sign up for CPR class too, as hospitals usually require an applicant to be CPR certified before they'll consider your application.

Good luck!
I agree with you 100%. The same thing is happening here in the bay area (ca). I changed my major but I did take all my prerequisites, my friend who still wants to be a nurse got denied again from 3 different programs for the second year in a row. Has nothing to do with her GPA or anything they are just very competitive and even 4.0's are being denied. She is now rethinking being or nurse or at least trying to figure out what else she could do and then just continue to apply until she gets in.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:58 AM

633 posts, read 1,160,997 times
I am an RN myself! Tell her to GO FOR IT! I recommened a community college assocaite degree program. She can ger her AS and then continue on to a 4 yr school for her BSN if she chooses!
KEEP IN MIND: the pre requisite courses for nursing, Anatomy & physiology 1 and 2, Microbiology, etc are there to WEED out students that won't be able to cut the nursing program!!
Best of luck to your daughter! If she wants this, she CAN do it!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:08 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,284,141 times
I was told by 2 RNs that they didn't think the program was a difficult as they feared. They did point out that the amount of knowledge to be retained in a short amount of time was the hard part.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,427,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Is your wife a Nurse Practitoner by any chance?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 PM

314 posts, read 933,335 times
Its so hard to get into a nursing program in the bay area, universities are denying 4.0 GPA's because they can only take so many students.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,963 times
The highschool GPA doesnt have anything to do with how smart your daughter is. What counts in the end is how much she really wants to be a RN....if she is stubborn, motivated and dedicated to the idea of beeing a RN then she will get there.
My

Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,224,553 times
My wife is trying to get in an RN program at the moment at a nearby college. It's been tough. I mean the toughness may be as much related to being a full time mom and having to take college courses at the same time but still. I just never figured it would be so difficult to become a nurse. Nor do I see why...if there is a shortage of nurses...it's so difficult to get into a nursing program. If it's such a high demand feild why wouldn't colleges take advantage of that and have more slots available for it?

Here's how the program works at her college. They take on 50 nursing students per term...out of as many as 200 qualified applicants. In order to get in you have to take 4 pre-reqs and take the entrance exam. The pre-reqs are Gen Psych, Eng Comp I, Intermediate Algebra, and A&P (the big stone). Intermediate Alg doesn't matter much...just have to pass with a C or better. But there is a point system. Basically they have to make an A in the other 3 pre-reqs and then score high on the entrance exam in order to have a shot. They generally take the 50 who have the highest cumulative score. This is fairly nerve racking because when we signed up for this we just had the mentality that if she wanted to be a nurse all she had to do was sign up and take all the right classes and she would be a nurse....wrong!

So far she's made A's in everything and will be taking A&P this Fall as her last pre-req. If she scores an A next up will be to take the entrance exam.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,868,129 times
Dr Jones - if this is available and you are willing to shell out the $$, for-profit schools are starting to offer the ADN program. Usually there is no wait list b/c of the price, and there are simply minimum cutoffs for the TEAS and any other entrance exams. Many are new programs though so make sure the state board of nursing has approved it or be willing to risk the provisional approval (status usually stays provisional until a certain number of graduates (first class maybe?) has a high enough pass rate on the NCLEX). Around here, Apollo, PIMA, and ITT are now offering the ADN program. I believe its close to $50K for the PIMA and Apollo programs, but if she has to wait 12-18 mos to get into the CC, she could have made that amount of money. That is how a lot of students look at it. I know its also popular with military spouses b/c 3-4 yrs is usually all the time you get to stay in one place, so they cannot sit and wait forever.

Just an idea if she misses the admission cutoff this time around.

I believe the reason there are not enough slots for the applicants is that there are not enough teachers or clinical preceptors, or perhaps the hospital sets its own limit on how many clinical classes it wants on its floors at a time.

Just so you can see if there are any of these private programs available, here is your state's list of approved programs. http://www.ksbn.org/cne/nursingschoolst.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities