Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,208,118 times

Advertisements

$50k? OMG!

We're looking at $2000/semester once she gets in.

Up till now we've probably got a grand total of $2000 invested in pre-reqs! LOL

Thanks for the link. She's going to Butler CC right now. We have considered the possibility of transfering to Wichita State U if she didn't get into Butler's Nursing program. I think she's going to make it but it's just so nerve racking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,856,214 times
Yeah, the prices are crazy but there is no wait list and no pre-reqs (they work them into the program) and no summer break, so its fast. But with all of the new grads having trouble finding full-time work, its a gamble.

Good luck to your wife and I hope she gets in!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM

460 posts, read 1,135,380 times
drjones those are actually light prereqs. Where I live one has to take everything but the clinicals basically to get into the upper levels of a BSN progam. I'm currently at a private school but the local community college now has the higher level sciences I need to get into the state university my goal. I was told basically a 4.0 in every class taken was required to get a slot in the state BSN program. And my classes include several chemistries (including organic) with lab, micro with lab, nutrition, two A&P sections with labs, calculus, and assorted others. I plan on going on to the NP level which at that point in time I can only guess will be just as competitive.

I agree it is completely nerve racking. Heck, if I was younger at this rate I would just do med school.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:26 PM

460 posts, read 1,135,380 times
lisdol I agree with that it seems either you have to have a 4.0, health care experience, be able to stand on your head while reciting the periodtic table backwards...to get into any of the affordable schools while the private ones are easier to get into but they come with the hefty price tag.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,278,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Dr Jones - if this is available and you are willing to shell out the $$, for-profit schools are starting to offer the ADN program. Usually there is no wait list b/c of the price, and there are simply minimum cutoffs for the TEAS and any other entrance exams. Many are new programs though so make sure the state board of nursing has approved it or be willing to risk the provisional approval (status usually stays provisional until a certain number of graduates (first class maybe?) has a high enough pass rate on the NCLEX). Around here, Apollo, PIMA, and ITT are now offering the ADN program. I believe its close to $50K for the PIMA and Apollo programs, but if she has to wait 12-18 mos to get into the CC, she could have made that amount of money. That is how a lot of students look at it. I know its also popular with military spouses b/c 3-4 yrs is usually all the time you get to stay in one place, so they cannot sit and wait forever.

Just an idea if she misses the admission cutoff this time around.

I believe the reason there are not enough slots for the applicants is that there are not enough teachers or clinical preceptors, or perhaps the hospital sets its own limit on how many clinical classes it wants on its floors at a time.

Just so you can see if there are any of these private programs available, here is your state's list of approved programs. http://www.ksbn.org/cne/nursingschoolst.pdf

Hi which state are you located? I would like to look a little more closely at these schools.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:00 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,856,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Hi which state are you located? I would like to look a little more closely at these schools.
I am in New Mexico. In Albuquerque, here are the Nursing programs I know of:

UNM (BSN 4-yr degree and post-Bacc ABSN)
CNM (practical nursing and two-yr ADN)
Pima Medical Institute (ADN)
Apollo College (ADN)
ITT Tech (ADN)

Pima and Apollo have locations in other states as well (AZ, NV,...)

Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,666,073 times
I totally agree with the folks that recommend that your daughter become a CNA first. I became a CNA for 1 1/2 years before making the decision to go back to college to work toward my nursing degree. Even though I had a AAS in Office Technology and a certificate in Medical Office Clerical, I have to say, the prerequisites and nursing program are grueling. There is no time for outside activities or slacking if you want to get into most nursing programs. They are VERY competitive gradewise. The community college that I attended had a quarter to quarter policy...if you fall below 3.0 you're out and have to wait until the next year to re-enroll in the quarter you fell behind in. After completing the LPN part you have the option of taking another class which readies you for becoming an LPN if you wish. Most of us did that class and some even worked during the summer as an LPN. I made the decision to stop at the LPN due to the fact that I wanted to work more closely with patients instead of delegating and doing the massive amounts of paperwork RNs have to do. Many of the folks in the nursing program had never worked as CNAs and that made it horrible for some of them when it came to clinicals. As a matter of fact, two of my fellow classmates dropped out of the programs when we started clinicals because they found out they were not "people persons". I have also met several people over time who ground their way through the nursing program only to end up back in school trying to find something else they could do. If it's for the money that your daughter wants to go into nursing, please encourage her to do something else....as nursing is not for everyone. Either you born to be a nurse or your weren't. It's definitely not for everyone and heaven knows, it's a lot of hard work to do only to find out it is nothing like you thought you'd be. Everyone should do at least a year of CNA work before every even considering going into the nursing field. Not only will you find out if you have a heart for people, but when you do become a nurse, you are far more likely to appreciate your CNAs hard work and inclined to give them a helping hand instead of standing around criticizing them.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 PM

18,560 posts, read 33,103,179 times
Nursing school isn't very hard. The pre-reqs are, to weed out people. I personally doubt I could pass a college chemistry class now.
Nursing school requires time. You don't have to be an academic whiz to do a good clinical, but you need time to put in the clinical hours- can't do it at home/at a job/faster or cheaper. You just have to do it.
The reason there aren't more RN programs is that there aren't enough people with advanced degrees to teach. Also, teachers are poorly paid, so many people with advanced degrees or thinking of them might well work on a floor or unit for the money.
Most of the hospital programs closed, partly because the nursing organizations continue to blather on about "We're professionals like everybody else, and the BSN should be the entry level degree (never gonna happen). With the two-year hospital diplomas gone, the line forms at the community colleges for an A.D.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,134,078 times
In California you need to become a CNA anyway. That is a pre req for the program. The state has changed the requirements for entrance into a nursing program. Schools in California at least develop the RN program based on the state requirements. They have no choice but to follow the state rules.

New for students entering the program in California in 2010 or after:

2.5 GPA for all classes.
3.0 GPA or higher for Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology on their own. If you get less than a B in any of those classes you need to repeat the class. You also only have 2 repeats available to you for all 3 classes combined, meaning that if you earned an B or higher in Anatomy and a C in the other two classes you would need to retake both classes and if you still did not get a B or better in either of them you are out.

TEAS test. You can only take it twice in your life or you are out of the program. You are not invited to take the TEAS untill after completing all pre reqs and receiving an invite from the schools nursing program.

Basic math skills test. You will have 2 chances to pass the test within the 1st month of entering the program. That is after you are admitted into the program.

In Califoirnia 33% of applicants are dropped from the program within the 1st semester.

For those that are concerned about getting into a program in California anyway, their is a point system. If your GPA is high you get so many points. Take classes that are nursing related, medical related, medication related, and you can get points.

Work in a hospital now? you can get points for that.

Have another degree even if it not medical related, get a lot of points for that. In fact if you have another degree chances are you will not wait normal 4 to 6 semesters to get into a program. You have another degree and chances are you will bump to the front of the list and enter the program within a semester of completing your pre reqs.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 AM

18,560 posts, read 33,103,179 times
I take difference with "either you were born to be a nurse or not." To me, that's the old Flo Nightengale image, "angels in white."
A lot of hospital nursing is so technical. I'd rather see a good technician managing my vent/oxygen/tubes than someone warm and fuzzy. Of course, a good professional gives good customer service with the tech skills- courtesy, kindness, efficiency.
My observation of nurses who go into it for some major personal emotional need become basket cases, and fast.Too much personal agenda in an 8-hour shift.
By the way, trust me, you'd be happy to have this professional not-so-fuzzy gal take care of you or your loved one.
I just go ballistic on this idea that being an RN is a mystical calling or something. It's a skill, or a lot of different skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities