Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:08 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,681,845 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean to sound like the technical skills are not important..... they absolutely are. However, when I meet nurses who treat patients like they're bed numbers and diseases, rather than human beings, I feel like they would be far more suited to a lab somewhere....treating diseases, not people WITH problems. If you truly CARE about the people you are treating, you are going to be a frickin blood hound....tenacious in your drive to help them to heal, both emotionally and physically. I have worked in the health care profession and worked alongside both types of nurses. Give me a nurse who has a personal, emotional connection with you any day. Besides, if you are the kind of HCP who does connect with your "client/patient" emotionally and personally, you are far more likely to get information/clues from them than nurse Suzie Robot will EVER get from them. If you really care about patients, you are never going to want to let them down by being ignorant and missing ANYTHING. As far as becoming a basket case? A really good, emotionally intelligent nurse would never allow herself/himself to become a basket case.... you do the best you can...and you hold yourself together, because when you become a basket case, you are no good to anyone...including yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:59 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,325,935 times
in '71-72 I went to LPN school, it was the only thing available in my rural area at the time (it's now an RN program...so do I get my RN now...LOL)

Nursing school is tough period, long hours on the floor with your clinicals, then study study study. I was fortunate and loved A&P and Biology Microbiology...very few do.

I also agree that you should work as a CNA or something BEFORE making a decision about becoming a nurse, TV makes it look glam etc. It's not, it's hard stressful work. I quit after 10 years due to stress.

If I could do it again I'd look in to PT or OT, the hours are better, you are helping someone improve and it generally has a positive attitude.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,681,845 times
To those thinking about nursing,
When we say it is hard work.....it is. Not all hard work feels bad though. If you are curious about disease processes, the functioning of the human body, how clean your house is (LOL microbiology), and have a passion for helping others, that hard work is definitely worth it. When some of us say it's hard work, we're telling the truth. Some people have a lot more going on in their lives than others. If you are already a busy person with a lot on your plate, it means that you have to learn to let certain things go. The house (in spite of that microbiology) will probably get a little dirtier. You will find yourself bringing a book or two or notes to every sporting event your children have. You might even have to go through the guilt of missing some of your kids' activities, etc. Families, husbands, kids, boyfriends, girlfriends, parents, may not always be understanding when you are constantly buried in your books, paperwork and homework. When we say it's hard, we mean that in many, many ways. It isn't just the homework, prep-work and clinical hours that make it hard, but it's the sacrifices and loved ones feeling left out of your life. There are so many things to consider before making the decision to become a nurse. It's hard.....but it's definitely do-able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities