Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I hope someone here majored or is majoring in computer science ( also called software engineering ) or computer engineering.

I am still VERY undecided. I was always just thinking about computer engineering. But honestly, there are way too many electrical engineering classes... too many circuits etc. I hate anything physics related.

Also, I went to the bls.gov site and found that the growth of engineering jobs is below ( 5%) the average growth for all occupations I was kind of shocked when I read this. I used to think its a fast growing field, but apparently it is not. I guess getting a job still wouldn't be difficult as a computer engineer graduate.

Software Engineering is one of the fastest growing fields ( 38% ) and it has less to none physics. You also earn more than computer engineers.

I would like to know what the computer/software engineers here think? SOme input would be very helpful !

Thank you

P.S. Sources

Engineers under computer hardware engineer

Computer Software Engineers (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos267.htm - broken link) software engineer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
I think that if you don't like physics, then both may not be good fields for you to go into. Just what is it about physics that you don't like? Any answer to this question I think will lead to the conclusion that computer science is not good for you either.

About the links. Those are just projections and do not really tell you about job availability.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I think that if you don't like physics, then both may not be good fields for you to go into. Just what is it about physics that you don't like? Any answer to this question I think will lead to the conclusion that computer science is not good for you either.

About the links. Those are just projections and do not really tell you about job availability.

I looked at the degree plan and SE has barely any physics in it and CE does have more. Well, why do people dislike physics? I don't know. I just hate it. Dosen't make sense to me. I guess that I'm not a physics person.

Yeah, these are just projections, but it should be somewhat accurate.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I looked at the degree plan and SE has barely any physics in it and CE does have more. Well, why do people dislike physics? I don't know. I just hate it. Dosen't make sense to me. I guess that I'm not a physics person.
Yes, but if you're not a good physics person you're unlikely going to be a good software engineering person.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 PM

No, that's not true. I've been taking COSC classes as well and I loved it. Just now I have to make up my mind and narrow it down to one major. I've been taking classes for both majors, but I am still so undecided.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 AM

COSC = ?

And I stand by what I said, if you're not good at physics than you're unlikely to be good at Computer Science. Note, I'm talking about computer science, not "programming".

Old 05-12-2009, 12:31 AM

COSC= Computer Science. I still don't get why you're saying this. Are you talking about practical thinking?
Did you major in one of them? I would like to get my master's degree as well. I think you can major in comp eng and then get you're masters in comp science.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I still don't get why you're saying this. Are you talking about practical thinking?
I'm saying this because they both involve a good deal of mathematics and are both methodologically similar. If you're still talking about "what I'm going to major in" then its unlikely you've take much beyond basic programming classes. Computer science is far more than programming, its essentially a branch of mathematics.

Quote:
I would like to get my master's degree as well. I think you can major in comp eng and then get you're masters in comp science.
The two are pretty different in terms of which classes you take. A computer science program is not going to accept someone from electrical engineering unless they've take a significant number of computer science classes.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 AM

Well, UT Austin requires 30 credits of COSC for the MSCS degree and 18 for the MA degree. That's not that much.

And yes, I have taken several COSC classes already. I have also taken all of the required math classes... calc 1-3, linear alegebra, differential equations etc.

Well not that much "methodologically similar". CE has much more of actual math and physics. I don't know... I am leaning towards cosc. I guess it's more diverse.

I think I would enjoy COSC more ( from waht I can tell now ) , but I always was focused on computer engineering that it kinda makes it hard to decide. The demand for software engineers should be higher.

Last edited by XodoX; 05-12-2009 at 01:30 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Well, UT Austin requires 30 credits of COSC for the MSCS degree and 18 for the MA degree. That's not that much.
Programs have minimum requirements, but the question is how will you fair in comparison to the other applicants? Why would they accept the guy with a engineering degree over the guy with the computer science degree?

Quote:
And yes, I have taken several COSC classes already. I have also taken all of the required math classes... calc 1-3, linear alegebra,
The required math courses are baby math. Upper division computer science classes are a lot like Mathematics courses. Physics is applying mathematics to the physical world, Computer Science is applying mathematics to the world of computing. That is why they are rather similar in nature.

But unlike physics, the introductory computer science classes are rather different than the more advanced classes. The introductory classes are just giving you the necessary tools, namely how to program in a couple languages.

Quote:
The demand for software engineers should be higher.
This does not matter, what matters is how the demand relates to the supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities