Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM

25 posts, read 102,573 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of going to an urban campus vs a suburban/rural campus. I've heard that in a suburban campus you are pretty much isolated from the rest of the world and a car is a necessity, but parties on weekends are much better because half the campus isn't gone exploring the city. So what do you think? Right now I'm attending a local community college and I plan on transferring soon but I can't decide on what kind of setting I want. I love the city, but I also love partying.

Sorry if this had been done before, lock if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaniac93 View Post
What are the pros and cons of going to an urban campus vs a suburban/rural campus. I've heard that in a suburban campus you are pretty much isolated from the rest of the world and a car is a necessity, but parties on weekends are much better because half the campus isn't gone exploring the city. So what do you think? Right now I'm attending a local community college and I plan on transferring soon but I can't decide on what kind of setting I want. I love the city, but I also love partying.

Sorry if this had been done before, lock if necessary.
It depends on the suburban campus. Some suburbs not only have a lot to offer on their own, but are very well-linked to public transit.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,512 times
It's strictly a matter of personal preference. If you prefer a busy, and congested city atmosphere, pick the urban school... if you prefer a slower-paced lifestyle, more open space, and potentially more outdoor opportunities nearby, pick the suburban school.

Personally, I couldn't even imagine going to college in a big city... I'm glad I chose a rural campus, which was located on the outskirts of a medium sized town. I could go rock climbing on the weekends, kayaking on a nearby lake, build and launch model rockets in the nearby fields, hiking, mountain biking... It was a great experience. But again, it's all a matter of personal preference...

Last edited by ryanst530; 12-19-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,476,279 times
Classify where you live as "urban", "suburban", and "rural".

Out of the college you'd like to go to, I highly suggest attending one that's different from the environment you grew up in (i.e. you grew up in "suburban", try going to an "urban" or "rural" college.)

Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,574 times
I went to small college in a rural area and loved it. I think there was more of a campus community because there wasn't much to do off campus. My first couple of years, when I didn't have a car, I got occasional rides from my upperclassmen friends to Target or Walmart but I lived in a dorm and ate at the cafeteria so I didn't need much off campus. When I finally got a car of my own, I gave rides to my underclassmen friends.

One plus I can see for going to college in an urban area is the greater number of meaningful job and networking opportunities.

It's college, there are going to be parties wherever you choose to go.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
^^I went to an urban college; thought I'd love a rural campus. However, there aren't many nursing programs on rural campuses, and of those so located, the nursing students frequently have to go off to a city campus to do at least some of their clinicals.

I would not say there were more job opportunities around the city campus; it seemed similar to what my friends at rural campuses described. There are always businesses near campus that get a lot of student workers.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 PM

25 posts, read 102,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Classify where you live as "urban", "suburban", and "rural".

Out of the college you'd like to go to, I highly suggest attending one that's different from the environment you grew up in (i.e. you grew up in "suburban", try going to an "urban" or "rural" college.)
I live in Raleigh, NC so I have quite colleges to choose from. Urban colleges would be NC State, Duke, and UNC Greensboro then there's UNC Charlotte which is suburban but right outside a big city. Some suburban colleges would be UNC Chapel hill, UNC Wilmington, ECU and Wake Forest University. I'm not sure of any rural colleges.

Last edited by gmaniac93; 12-19-2012 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,368 times
I went to a suburban college and I will always say that I while I loved the university, I hated the city. No public transit, rarely anything interesting going on (outside of football, and I don't care about football), and while I was attending, there weren't very many options in terms of food around. By the time I graduated (earlier this year), the city was really building up its "downtown" and more restaurants, that weren't fast food joints, were moving into the area. Seeing the progress it was undergoing while I attended the school, if I had came in this year as a freshman I would probably have a different opinion.

My grad school's campus is urban, and I love it. It's like this green oasis in the middle of the city. I never applied to any rural campuses because I knew I wouldn't be happy there. Not the outdoorsy type.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 PM

506 posts, read 958,114 times
I grew up in a very small rural town. It is pretty isolating and if you don't have a car, you won't be finding anything lively to do that most young people would want. I'm going away to college in a major city and I'm counting the days, lol. I love rural, small town living, but there is so much more in the world that I want to see other than being isolated most of my young adult life. My major would also require me to live in a place that is a hub for political science and places like DC, NYC, and Boston would be better than Seattle to find a internship or job after school.

I like the city vibe, there is always something to do and it's more diverse than living in a "suburban" and "rural" environment.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
You could also choose a college town like Ithaca or Burlington. Both of these towns are pretty good size, but not the city and not isolated. My son lives in Burlington and can be in the center of town in ten minutes or on a ski slope in 15.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities