Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM

175 posts, read 600,253 times

Advertisements

I knew since highschool that I was going to major in Accounting in college. During my first year in college at age 17, I earned a perfect 4.0 in my first accounting class so I knew I was on the right path.

But here's the problem. I've had drop out of college twice not because of academics but because of extenuating circumstances that had a financial consequence to them such as, quitting college to work full-time to help my mom (single parent) pay bills, my car breaking down and having to junk it making it harder to find a job, my mother's job becoming "topsy turvy" because of the economy, ectera.

I've realized that accounting is one of those majors where you just can't start and stop because you forget too much of what you learned if you don't apply it regularly. You just can't jump back in the loop like you never left although you haven't been in college for atleast 4 years.

What is the point in continuing to major in something when hiccups in the road of life are bound to come and I may have to quit college again further putting me behind. Is it still worth it? What are your thoughts?

For when I finally do return to college, I'm considering changing my major and of course attend a community college. I just have to find out what else I'm interesting in on the community college level besides accounting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
If you're good at accounting and developed a good understanding, it should come back to you fairly quickly. While I only minored in accounting in school, a good portion of the work I've done was in accounting. Now, much of my work is in finance (my major), but I can still bring back the accounting knowledge that I don't use after some minor review. So, if it's what you want, I'd continue pursuing accounting.

Besides, the main things you have to remember in accounting are:
  • Debits go on the right and credits go on the left
  • How a balance sheet and income statement interact
  • Every entry must balance (debits = credits)
As long as you understand this, the rest will be easy to re-learn.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Sounds like you have a dream of doing accounting and you are good at it. I think you should continue it. Do two years at a community college and then finish up the last two years at a university. Looking back I wish I had done two years at a community college, it would have been such a savings!!

Also, is there anyway your mom can get her life on track on her own without relying on you all the time? And rather than continuing to drop out, then just go part time till you finish.

I think you would regret not following your passion.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM

77 posts, read 238,207 times
Everyone has hiccups in life, and i do not see that as a reason to give up your dream. You are looking for an easier way out and in the long run you will be hurting yourself.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 PM

175 posts, read 600,253 times
Thanks for all the responses everybody. I will be taking your opinions into consideration.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I think it is a good idea at least to finish your Bachelors in the current economy unless you have other outstanding talents, money, etc.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
If you enjoy accounting and you are good at it, stick with it. It is a solid valuable degree and you should not have much trouble finding work even in a recession.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
You certainly can knock out some of the Core Cirriculum courses at the community college, and do it for a cheaper price, and won't necessarily be getting less good instruction either.

You need to find a way to get far enough in Accounting that if you need to work, you can work at some sort of accounting type work, as opposed to driving nails or something like that.

Step-daughter is just finishing Finance major for a double Finance/Accounting major. According to her, the thing to do if at all possible is get enough course work done that you qualify to sit the CPA exam. She says the CPA career path is a lot more desirable than just being an ordinary accountant who works under the supervision of a CPA.

What BigDGeek said. It's a solid, salable degree that you can find work with in lean times as well as fat. Indoor work with no heavy lifting involved too.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times
Anyone out there a librarian? How's it going? opinions. plwease about the profession,job satisfaction, pay, availability of jobs today and next 3-5 years, stress levels, attrition, etc.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I jsut started back at college at age 44. My major is accounting. Its never too late.

Just into the first 4 credits. But loving it alreay.
Talk to me in sept with 15 credits!!!

d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities