Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, so I have finally decided that I want to pursue a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing in Fiction (I'm an Elementary Ed & English major) & I am currently researching universities that have this program.
I am not looking to get into super competitive schools but I'd like to go to a school that has at least a decently-rated program. What MFA Creative Writing Programs could you possibly recommend? I am leaning more towards a public school in a big, diverse city with a relatively good atmosphere for young adults (I'm 21)...
These are my schools:
University of Houston-Houston, TX (I hear this program is REALLY good!)
University of Texas-Austin, TX--looks really competitive
University of Florida-Gainesville, FL
University of Maryland-College Park, MD
University of Virginia-Charlottesville, VA (I know that this one is pretty competitive as well)
Rutgers University-Newark, NJ campus
American University-Washington, D.C.
Syracuse University-Syracuse, NY
Boston University-Boston, MA
*San Diego State-San Diego, CA
*San Jose State-San Jose, CA

I'm kind of wary of applying to any schools in CA...& I know that BU, American, & Syracuse are private...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 07-21-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 PM

Anyone? Seriously?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Where does a MFA take you in life?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Where does a MFA take you in life?
In my life, writing is my first love & eventually I would like to write a novel. If it doesn't come to fruition, that's OK...I just love it enough to commit to obtaining an MFA in Creative Writing...I'm not into $$...obviously...I'm a double major in Elementary Ed & English...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
In my life, writing is my first love & eventually I would like to write a novel. If it doesn't come to fruition, that's OK...I just love it enough to commit to obtaining an MFA in Creative Writing...I'm not into $$...obviously...I'm a double major in Elementary Ed & English...
I see. Why not place the 30k. or so debt you'll get to better use? You can finance a nice quiet place to write in peace. Or you can invest it.

I think a M.A. in English is more beneficial. Why not a Ph.D. in English? This gives you more options and may place you in a superior financial situation!

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:05 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
I see. Why not place the 30k. or so debt you'll get to better use? You can finance a nice quiet place to write in peace. Or you can invest it.

I think a M.A. in English is more beneficial. Why not a Ph.D. in English? This gives you more options and may place you in a superior financial situation!

Good luck!
right, so that wasn't even the question. she's not asking for your opinion of what to study post grad. stay on topic or don't comment (getting a bit sick of the "degree snobs" who seem to enjoy putting/looking down a person's choice of major)

to the OP: I've always heard great things about the writing program at the University of Iowa, but I'm not sure how selective it is and I'm not sure if the city would fulfill your requirement in terms of atmosphere (granted, I know nothing about Iowa or the city the school is located in, so I could be wrong). Emerson College in Boston also either has a graduate program in creative writing or publishing (can't remember if it's one or the other or both. likely both). the school I go to now, Columbia College Chicago, offers a MFA in fiction writing, but I don't know how well rated this program is (likely not up to par w/ some other big names, but may not hurt to check it out. I'm in the BFA program here and like it)

Last edited by eevee; 07-22-2009 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:

Good luck!
I don't want an M.A. in English...and you obviously know nothing about MFA programs. A lot of them are well-funded esp. for writing students. SMH. (Shaking my head).

Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
right, so that wasn't even the question. she's not asking for your opinion of what to study post grad. stay on topic or don't comment (getting a bit sick of the "degree snobs" who seem to enjoy putting/looking down a person's choice of major)

to the OP: I've always heard great things about the writing program at the University of Iowa, but I'm not sure how selective it is and I'm not sure if the city would fulfill your requirement in terms of atmosphere (granted, I know nothing about Iowa or the city the school is located in, so I could be wrong). Emerson College in Boston also either has a graduate program in creative writing or publishing (can't remember if it's one or the other or both. likely both). the school I go to now, Columbia College Chicago, offers a MFA in fiction writing, but I don't know how well rated this program is (likely not up to par w/ some other big names, but may not hurt to check it out. I'm in the BFA program here and like it)
Thanks for the help, I've heard about UIowa too but I don't think I want to be there for the next 2-3 yrs lol...I've been in Oklahoma too long...

Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I don't want an M.A. in English...and you obviously know nothing about MFA programs. A lot of them are well-funded esp. for writing students. SMH. (Shaking my head).
I just don't see why an MFA is needed to write fiction. I can understand its purpose in theater and such though.

If you don't get into a good fiction program, I don't see why you'd waste your time and money on a subpar one.

These programs are extremely competitive. Do you have a good portfolio?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I just don't see why an MFA is needed to write fiction. I can understand its purpose in theater and such though.

If you don't get into a good fiction program, I don't see why you'd waste your time and money on a subpar one.

These programs are extremely competitive. Do you have a good portfolio?
I'm sorry but what are you insinuating? That I'll be unable to get in? I'm getting a slightly racist undertone from this comment...so yeah...unless you said anything about an MFA program recommendation...I'm gonna ignore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities