U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 187,794 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I was wondering if from personal experience, you had any advice what you would recommend a college student to major in. I'm basically open to anything, except accountants. I want good money, but also jobs that are needed in the economy. Originally I was thinking a dental hygienist or radiologist, but after researching some, it seems there are too many people in those professions as it is? If you could do it again, what would you major in? Any advice is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 02:57 PM

8,114 posts, read 6,637,802 times
When did college get to be about getting a job? It should be about getting an education and becoming a useful member of society. Lots of people with specialized degrees can't find a job today. Lots of business major are flipping burgers for a living.
Take a lot of courses and become a well rounded individual. Learn a new language; Chinese, Arabic, or Spanish will be very useful. Study some economics, take a little pre-med. Audit some tough math classes. Get some basic physics and chemistry. Geology should be interesting. Learn some art and music history. Oh, and take a typing course ASAP. The keyboard we will have with us always . . .
The two jobs you mentioned are not college level anyway. Dental hygienists attend a tech school, radiologists are MDs, unless you mean the guys who take pictures, who are technicians. Wild guess is neither job will exist in 15 years due to technology advances.
Nobody really knows where the good jobs will be in 10 years because the best positions do not even exist today. You can look it up in history. :-)
Personally I think a well rounded person will see that some sort of home based business is better than a job, but I am prejudiced about that subject.
Just go get an education. It is what the schools are there for.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:00 PM

25,387 posts, read 32,118,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsoccerplayer View Post
Hey guys,
I was wondering if from personal experience, you had any advice what you would recommend a college student to major in. I'm basically open to anything, except accountants. I want good money, but also jobs that are needed in the economy. Originally I was thinking a dental hygienist or radiologist, but after researching some, it seems there are too many people in those professions as it is? If you could do it again, what would you major in? Any advice is appreciated.
Chemical engineering. Great money and rumor has it, demand is increasing faster than supply. By the time you graduate, it should be a sellers market.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 PM

25,387 posts, read 32,118,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
When did college get to be about getting a job? It should be about getting an education and becoming a useful member of society. Lots of people with specialized degrees can't find a job today. Lots of business major are flipping burgers for a living.
Take a lot of courses and become a well rounded individual. Learn a new language; Chinese, Arabic, or Spanish will be very useful. Study some economics, take a little pre-med. Audit some tough math classes. Get some basic physics and chemistry. Geology should be interesting. Learn some art and music history. Oh, and take a typing course ASAP. The keyboard we will have with us always . . .
The two jobs you mentioned are not college level anyway. Dental hygienists attend a tech school, radiologists are MDs, unless you mean the guys who take pictures, who are technicians. Wild guess is neither job will exist in 15 years due to technology advances.
Nobody really knows where the good jobs will be in 10 years because the best positions do not even exist today. You can look it up in history. :-)
Personally I think a well rounded person will see that some sort of home based business is better than a job, but I am prejudiced about that subject.
Just go get an education. It is what the schools are there for.
Hmmmm? Last time I looked, having a job was part of being a useful member of society and one of the goals of getting an education. Just how do you think getting an education that leaves you without employment options serves society?

Old 08-15-2009, 04:47 PM

10,664 posts, read 8,317,215 times
I think you should major in something you really love - think ahead, money is not everything, you also have to be happy doing what you do!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,452,761 times
Where I live, x-ray tech and dental hygiene programs are both 2 year, Associate Degree programs at community college, but the dental hygienists often have better luck with a Bachelor's degree.

Neither one is exactly just "trade school"....

Do what you love is great advice within reason. Combining what you love with something marketable is even better. My best friend has a Psychology degree and it's basically useless... because she didn't go on to get her Master's or Doctorate. She's working as a cocktail waitress.

Check out some of the free online career aptitude tests and personality tests. Some of them actually have good info on possible career paths, and can at least get you thinking about where you'd like to go. If you are already attending a college or university, the counseling center should have similar testing available.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:32 PM

19,059 posts, read 22,829,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Chemical engineering. Great money and rumor has it, demand is increasing faster than supply. By the time you graduate, it should be a sellers market.
I read a couple of articles today saying similar about the life sciences even though the recession has come down hard on a lot of life scientists. A BIO study (Apr 20009 [IIRC]) stated a shortage of life scientists is expected in the future due lack of interest from high school students and poor industry preparation in colleges. OTOH, the market is saturated with ph d's, but looking good for BS and MS holders.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:40 PM

204 posts, read 589,429 times
I majored in subjects that deeply interested me. I'm quite pleased with the results. Do something you love and the rest will follow.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 AM

10,461 posts, read 13,181,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsoccerplayer View Post
Hey guys,
Fire Protection Engineering.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 PM

10,461 posts, read 13,181,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I think you should major in something you really love - think ahead, money is not everything, you also have to be happy doing what you do!
I beg to differ.

I will agree at 23 and single money isn't everything but 7 years later with a wife and two kids money becomes everything especially if you don't have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities