Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM

964 posts, read 3,161,793 times

Advertisements

Wait, I thought clinicals and hospital work were supposed to count as experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Wait, I thought clinicals and hospital work were supposed to count as experience?
The above are not paid work experience. They are your introduction to that clinical area (OB, pediatrics, etc). They are an educational experience.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 PM

99 posts, read 172,369 times
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go into Nursing! It's one of the worst majors ever...this is coming from someone who is VERY good at science and math...and also LOVES to help people.

I finished a nursing program, as this is where my passion lays. However, I encourage everyone to look into a better field. Nursing has no shortage and there are literally NO jobs. I am in NYC and know BSN nurses who have been out of work for almost a year. When you DO find a job, 9 times out of 10, it will be abusive. Nurses have to deal with an incredible amount of stress, harassment, bullying, and degradation.

This is coming straight from the nurses mouth. If you have any level of self-respect, you will absolutely regret your decision to go into nursing. The suffering is tremendous and most nurses have conditioned themselves to accept the abuse. They are in flat out denial and will viciously defend their career. I am humble enough to say that I LOVE helping my patients, don't mind the dirty work, but I actually have a self esteem and realize that, in this field, human beings are treated well below their worth and it's not natural, nor healthy.

Here are a few fields that I have personally researched and very few people are aware of them. They are currently stable and will BOOM incredibly in the next few years as we have about 60,000,000 baby boomers retiring:

- Occupational Therapy Aide...go for your COTA (Certified Occupational Therapy Aide)- average salary $50,000-$65,000/year to start.

-Physical Therapy Aide- average salary $40,000-55,000/year...but they are needed a little more than COTAs because most people do not want to go to school for PTA. It's a little more difficult of a program and you usually don't go back for your Bachelors. You would make this your career. It has a HIGH rate of job satisfaction, though.

-Health Information Technologies- $50,000-$100,000/year (depending on how large your facility is and what state it's in). Ask yourself, HOW many people do you know that specialize in this? That's right, probably NONE. Why? It's a newer major that was created as health care expands/grows and systems are being updated. Being a computer major will not be enough. Hospitals and Health Care institutions have elaborate billing/coding/medical systems that are updated CONSTANTLY and they need someone who has the specific knowledge to handle them.

-Health Care Administration- $40,000-$85,000/year. This is the person that RUNS the show, per se. They have a vast knowledge of codes, laws, policies, and some payroll and human resource experience. They are the go-to people when there are questions to be asked...they are the jack of all trades. Desk job= LESS harassment, stress, bullying. But don't be fooled, you will have to put in effort and actually know your stuff...very rewarding once you do.

-Diagnostic Sonographer- $35,000-$75,000 This person is trained to look for cancerous masses, cysts, etc. Very rewarding career, works alongside doctor and saves that doctor a DRASTIC amount of money.

I'm just saying..keep your options open. Have a great day and feel free to message me if you would like!

Old 02-23-2016, 08:43 AM

788 posts, read 1,743,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go into Nursing! It's one of the worst majors ever...this is coming from someone who is VERY good at science and math...and also LOVES to help people.

I finished a nursing program, as this is where my passion lays. However, I encourage everyone to look into a better field. Nursing has no shortage and there are literally NO jobs. I am in NYC and know BSN nurses who have been out of work for almost a year. When you DO find a job, 9 times out of 10, it will be abusive. Nurses have to deal with an incredible amount of stress, harassment, bullying, and degradation.

This is coming straight from the nurses mouth. If you have any level of self-respect, you will absolutely regret your decision to go into nursing. The suffering is tremendous and most nurses have conditioned themselves to accept the abuse. They are in flat out denial and will viciously defend their career. I am humble enough to say that I LOVE helping my patients, don't mind the dirty work, but I actually have a self esteem and realize that, in this field, human beings are treated well below their worth and it's not natural, nor healthy.

Here are a few fields that I have personally researched and very few people are aware of them. They are currently stable and will BOOM incredibly in the next few years as we have about 60,000,000 baby boomers retiring:

- Occupational Therapy Aide...go for your COTA (Certified Occupational Therapy Aide)- average salary $50,000-$65,000/year to start.

-Physical Therapy Aide- average salary $40,000-55,000/year...but they are needed a little more than COTAs because most people do not want to go to school for PTA. It's a little more difficult of a program and you usually don't go back for your Bachelors. You would make this your career. It has a HIGH rate of job satisfaction, though.

-Health Information Technologies- $50,000-$100,000/year (depending on how large your facility is and what state it's in). Ask yourself, HOW many people do you know that specialize in this? That's right, probably NONE. Why? It's a newer major that was created as health care expands/grows and systems are being updated. Being a computer major will not be enough. Hospitals and Health Care institutions have elaborate billing/coding/medical systems that are updated CONSTANTLY and they need someone who has the specific knowledge to handle them.

-Health Care Administration- $40,000-$85,000/year. This is the person that RUNS the show, per se. They have a vast knowledge of codes, laws, policies, and some payroll and human resource experience. They are the go-to people when there are questions to be asked...they are the jack of all trades. Desk job= LESS harassment, stress, bullying. But don't be fooled, you will have to put in effort and actually know your stuff...very rewarding once you do.

-Diagnostic Sonographer- $35,000-$75,000 This person is trained to look for cancerous masses, cysts, etc. Very rewarding career, works alongside doctor and saves that doctor a DRASTIC amount of money.

I'm just saying..keep your options open. Have a great day and feel free to message me if you would like!
I realize this post is 6 years old but great advice for anyone considering being a nurse. In my 11 years of nursing, conditions seem to be getting worse. Pay is stagnant if not declining.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 AM

455 posts, read 464,565 times
What is your passion? That's known as your "Big Why." If you are passionate about nursing, pursue that and your passion will assist you overcoming the stress and you will love what you do. If you're passionate about Accounting, pursue that and your passion will help you overcome stress and you will love what you do.

Watch this video until the end. It's only about 3:30. (It's not about the religion, either.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZe5y2D60YU

Old 02-23-2016, 09:26 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,570,798 times
Majored in accounting and struggled with the tests the whole time (University of Alabama). Should have been failed a couple of times. They passed me anyway. Wish they hadn't, but I've since left the profession and in investment compliance which fits me better.

If one is talking PASSION about their career, I chose being an actor. It's been good, but like most actors, not terribly profitable. I have to keep the day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities