Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:23 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,965 times

Advertisements

I was checking the curriculum for my school, and most of the general classes for Nursing are good, so I am thinking about switching from accounting to nursing.

Anyhow, several schools in my state have very good programs in nursing, including my current school, and it seems like a nice challenging program.

I'm hearing waay too many problems going on in the business world, so I want to go along with something different.

Do I need graduate school for nursing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:27 PM

78 posts, read 225,531 times
To my knowledge you do not need graduate school for nursing. However, depending on the different levels of nursing (LVN, RN) and the next level possible PA, you may need advanced degrees.

I think with deciding between the 2 you cannot go wrong. Even in this economy, there is always a need for nurses and accountants. Accountants are and will continue to be in demand as the increase in auditing and regulation proliferate the financial markets.

How far along in your studies are you? Given the vast amount of general education, you may still be able to switch without incurring too much extra time. Believe me, I switched majors a few times before I settled on Economics and then on to Law School. I wasted too much time switching and switching when I was deep into the general education courses. Hopefully, it is still early for you and you will not waste a year on prep courses that will not follow over to the major you choose.

I strongly advise you meet with a counselor sooner rather than later to map out which direction you want to go. Either way, to reiterate, you cannot go wrong with either major from a job standpoint. Although either profession may have waves of need employment wise, you can always get a job.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post

Do I need graduate school for nursing?
Nope. You can get an associates degree in nursing and sit for the NCLEX RN. There are a few basic paths to entry as an RN: The associate degree (usually takes closer to 3 yrs than 2 yrs), diploma (hospital school, kind of rare these days), and the BSN. All 3 will qualify you to sit for the NCLEX RN if the school is approved by your state board of nursing.

(There are some other paths to get to RN such as getting your LPN first and doing a bridge, doing an entry level masters where you do the necessary coursework first for sitting for your NCLEX, then move on to grad school, and doing an accelerated BSN program if you already have a bachelor's degree.)

Definitely talk to an advisor; find out what the job is like before you take the plunge. Accounting is one of the safer areas in business - when a company shuts down, the accountants are the last to go. Not that you want to work somewhere that goes out of business!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks. I'll talk to advisors here and at the school I am considering transferring to.

Leave, my pre-business classes: I have taken both English Comp., pre. cal Agrebra, Statistics, a geology class with the lab, a literature class, an art history class, a computer science class, and micro and macro economics.

I am two classes away from taking my 300 courses which are fin. and managerial accountinng.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Most nursing program require chemistry, microbiology and assorted associated things that you likely haven't taken. Some four-year programs require you to pass pre-reqs at a prescribed level before admitting you to the nursing program.
BSNs don't usually see a clinical moment until junior year. Have you ever done anything related to patient care? Are you at all aware of what clinical nursing can involve? I know a lot of BSNs assume they'll go into something "nice" like school nursing or administration or something, but the majority of jobs are right there with the patients (and the job market has certainly been tightening in many places and areas of practice. There are never openings in labor and delivery, for example- people like these jobs. If you wanted to walk into a critical care job, you'd need good background. The job market ain't what it used to be).
What kind of problems are you having in business, as you refer to having? I think sometimes people lump into business as a major because of the general times we live in and the assumption that there is a good job there (could be wrong). If that's you, don't make the same choice with nursing.
By the way, there is no need to have "a calling" for nursing, but you do have to have an idea of what you're getting into, and why. Best wishes.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM

314 posts, read 935,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Most nursing program require chemistry, microbiology and assorted associated things that you likely haven't taken. Some four-year programs require you to pass pre-reqs at a prescribed level before admitting you to the nursing program.
BSNs don't usually see a clinical moment until junior year. Have you ever done anything related to patient care? Are you at all aware of what clinical nursing can involve? I know a lot of BSNs assume they'll go into something "nice" like school nursing or administration or something, but the majority of jobs are right there with the patients (and the job market has certainly been tightening in many places and areas of practice. There are never openings in labor and delivery, for example- people like these jobs. If you wanted to walk into a critical care job, you'd need good background. The job market ain't what it used to be).
What kind of problems are you having in business, as you refer to having? I think sometimes people lump into business as a major because of the general times we live in and the assumption that there is a good job there (could be wrong). If that's you, don't make the same choice with nursing.
By the way, there is no need to have "a calling" for nursing, but you do have to have an idea of what you're getting into, and why. Best wishes.
You really have to know what you are getting into. I have had several friends that were nurses and they have since left the field because they say it was to stressful. Which I knew they were going to do anyway because it takes a certain type of person to be a nurse. And usually you can tell which ones went into it because of the so-called stability and pay. They are the nurses you encounter at the hospital who dont do their jobs, I have ran into plenty. But good luck anyway. I thought I wanted to be a nurse until I shadowed a few I changed my mind and majored in chemistry

Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Actually, I had a friend that graduated in May and she's a Labor and delivery nurse in AL.

I guess if I had any advice, I would say definitely think long and hard about if you want to go into nursing and if you really want to do it, take the plunge.

Of course, I would transfer to the University of North Alabama. All of their graduates pass the NCLEX. It's the best and cheapest nursing school in the state.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 PM

Well, it is stable, which is one reason why, but Accounting and Finance, I chose those fields over Computer Info. Sys. because I want to do auditing with the government. I've always been a bit uneasy in a hospital.

But if anything, I'd love to go into sports rehabilitation in nursing if such a field existed.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,900 times
I saw your post earlier and wondered what I could add.
I would say consider taking a nurse aide class, you will get some real hands on. You will get a quick idea of what you are in for.
Remember people are at their worst when they are ill. I would differ with the poster saying there is no calling in this field. You will have to be able to tell yourself each day that you would do this job for free.
Just my opinion.
I have worked with many a person who have transferred into the field, some were happy, many were not.
I just wonder why such a switch? I am reading a need for job security. IMO not a reason to go into nursing.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM

Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with Accounting(or Economics or Finance) because I want to work in the business field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities