U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 AM

17 posts, read 163,119 times

Advertisements

Which career will provide more opportunities? Meaning, jobs available, salary, etc.

HR or Accounting?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 01:01 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,458,496 times
Accounting. A lot more demand for it and you have a lot of opportunities.
You could work small business, corporate and if you get your CPA you can become your own boss by working for the public. Another thing I like about the accounting industry is the abundance of entry level positions. You could easily get a first job as an account payable or account receivable clerk among many other positions with little experience in the industry and little education (probably AA degree is good enough for entry level). I used to be a computer science major however I changed to accounting when I realized that there were very few entry level computer science positions. How was I suppose to get a job fresh from college when there are no entry level positions? I can't. There was tons of 50k+ positions but most require 4-5 years experience and BS degree mandatory.

As for HR it is also a good field but not as good compared to accounting. In HR you mostly work in large corporation. Most small business have no need for HR people, the owner is the hiring manager.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:53 AM

14,230 posts, read 28,684,383 times
Accounting! HR is outsourced a lot and inhouse HR is considered to be 'overhead'.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:50 AM

786 posts, read 4,602,255 times
I work in HR and it is a dying field, with poor money and incompetent people, making us all look bad. The typical HR person is a pretty prickly women in their 20s and 30s and many have no skills or training in the field.

Accounting has people of all ages, races, and backgrounds and is highly regarded in many companies. Many high level managers and CEO's have an Accounting or Finance background.

Though I find HR more interesting and rewarding. Accounting is better for detail people who like solitary work and sitting at a desk all day.

Last edited by Dingler; 05-03-2007 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 163,119 times
Thank you "all" for your helpful advice. Here's another question, though. I have a BA in Journalism/Broadcast Communications, and want to obtain my MBA. In order to enter the accounting field, should I skip the MBA altogether and go for yet another undergrad degree in Accounting? I really wanted to pursue the MBA, though.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 AM

14,230 posts, read 28,684,383 times
MBA will get you more money. Especially from a top flite school.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:33 PM

476 posts, read 1,101,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta,GA View Post
Thank you "all" for your helpful advice. Here's another question, though. I have a BA in Journalism/Broadcast Communications, and want to obtain my MBA. In order to enter the accounting field, should I skip the MBA altogether and go for yet another undergrad degree in Accounting? I really wanted to pursue the MBA, though.
I’d suggest the MBA with a focus in Accounting. At least this way, if you discover you don't like Accounting (many people come to this realization), you'll still have an MBA. You can simply choose to take more finance or operations courses instead. The MBA will also increase your earning potential.

Check out the 2007 projected job growth in public accounting (one slice of the accounting industry) alone.

10-year Job Growth: 22%
Growth in Jobs 263,854
Total openings 485,893

(see money.com for source)
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...oneymag/4.html

Old 05-04-2007, 02:41 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,458,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
I’d suggest the MBA with a focus in Accounting. At least this way, if you discover you don't like Accounting (many people come to this realization), you'll still have an MBA. You can simply choose to take more finance or operations courses instead. The MBA will also increase your earning potential.

Check out the 2007 projected job growth in public accounting (one slice of the accounting industry) alone.

10-year Job Growth: 22%
Growth in Jobs 263,854
Total openings 485,893

(see money.com for source)
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...oneymag/4.html
lol yup it is pretty nice. Also I would like to mention that public accounting means you need to have your CPA, which is not so easy to get. Depending on state, you need relevant experience + undergrad accouting degree. So most of those 480,000 positions are good paying. When you factor in all the lower level accounting work there is well over 2,000,000 jobs.

According to BLS:
Accountants and Auditors 1,051,220
Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks 1,815,340

and that is only including positions that are directly related to those fuctions. It does not include people who, for example work in payroll.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:56 AM

373 posts, read 1,801,468 times
Just make sure whatever you do, you become a CPA. That's the key thing.

For example, we have a girl that just got hired at my bank with only two years experience out of college, and she got hired on at a much higher wage rate than me (I have a master's but I oversee marketing, not accounting) and the girl in the office next to me who has a law degree. However, the new hire only has a BA but is a CPA.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 AM

77 posts, read 377,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta,GA View Post
Which career will provide more opportunities? Meaning, jobs available, salary, etc.

HR or Accounting?
I found that Accounting will give you more jobs and the salary is very good. But, beware if you have bad credit finding a job in Accounting will not be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities