Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 PM

964 posts, read 3,164,456 times

Advertisements

I'm taking an intro to gov't class since it was required for my major, and it's really interesting. I've considered switching my minor to political science because I am starting to like all of the discussions about how the gov't works and some of its "many" faults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,393,714 times
If you're into it, do it!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,878,834 times
What's your current major?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,582,718 times
political science sure why not. yep ye ol 4 year college, college is a wonderful place to escape reality for 5 years. pretty girls, 100 ways to dodge core classes, italian 101 body building ethnic studies. 1000 miles from VE or other job related training.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 10-05-2009 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,280,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
I'm taking an intro to gov't class since it was required for my major, and it's really interesting. I've considered switching my minor to political science because I am starting to like all of the discussions about how the gov't works and some of its "many" faults
One of the guys that I hang out with this semester is a political science major. I have also met a few others over the years. I can say this about them and possibly the major; regardless of their political (party) affiliation, they are ALL outspoken individuals and have an opinion on everything. Unless you plan on having a talk radio program, working as a columnists or other form of writing, or being a part of a television news program, you might be better off not having a pol-sci minor.

Based on my observations, this is a major (or minor) that is heavily dependent on the individuals personality.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,130,705 times
Unless your current major is even more useless, I would say no.

Getting involved in politics has nothing to do with what degree you hold and anything you could learn at your typical public university political science program you could learn in a library.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 AM

964 posts, read 3,164,456 times
My major is Accounting/Finance(I can't decide one just yet), but I am still getting my prebusiness courses out of the way.

I've taken majority of my core classes already(Precal. Algebra, science, etc...)

Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,317,032 times
I think it really depends on where you go to school. If we're talking a 2nd or 3rd tier university/college, I would focus on something in the business/health/vocational fields, just because the PolySci programs might not be very reputable. If we're talking about a 1st tier university, I firmly believe that your degree will mean more to employers no matter what you get it in.

Another (ignorant) poster mentioned something about being able to simply go to the library to learn this stuff. While it is true that ANY FACT OR SUBJECT can be learned by picking up a book or combing through computer articles (including how to do math equations, understanding computers, and even engineering), the main focus of your course work will be to develop critical thinking and analytical skills, communication skills, and writing skills. So, ignore ignorant people like that, because they will always be out there willing to throw their two cents in.

Also, and most importantly, keep in mind that what you like now might only be a fad. Psychology courses tend to suck freshman in as well, but in the end, most people would rather not pursue that degree considering the amount of work that is required to get a decent paying job.

I would say that if you truly like Political Science, do it. I would also suggest dual majoring/minoring in another field such as business, econ or health administration, since these can be valuable in the business world. Hope that helps and good luck.

-BA in PolySci/Econ '08

Old 10-06-2009, 02:37 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,130,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
So, ignore ignorant people like that, because
they will always be out there willing to throw their two cents in.
There is always a certain irony with people that call others "ignorant", but seriously if you have a problem with something I stated respond to it directly, not indirectly in this inane fashion. But read what I stated carefully, " anything you could learn at your typical public university political science program you could learn in a library." The programs at your average public college simply do not offer a rich intellectual environment and there really is not much difference between learning the material from books. Now, if they were at a prestigious university the situation would be different.

Unless you're going to Harvard, Yale, etc a degree in political science is hardly worth the paper its printed on. You (the OP) are much more likely to succeed with your current majors than if you switched to political science. But, I'd recommend a science. Far more interesting than accounting/finance and just as viable in terms of a career.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,302,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Our previous disagreements notwithstanding, I would have to agree with user_id. TO make poly sci a valid major, you have to dig much deeper into the structure of governance, law & regulations, funding processes, etc. If not and it remains a major filled with "interesting" discussions, you are better off watching CSPAN and the BBC.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities