Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM

432 posts, read 1,594,689 times

Advertisements

Has anybody here ever gotted a college degree online? If so, who did you use? Do employers disriminate aganst them? Can anybody recommend a college to go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,672,903 times
I know several people who finished up their degrees online. Just don't go to an online only school, go to a regular college that offers online courses.

I'll be finally finishing my Associates degree through Suffolk Community College next year. The diploma is the same, even though all the courses are online.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM

432 posts, read 1,594,689 times
What are you getting your degree in?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,672,903 times
Business Administration. They offer a fully online degree for that major. I've been with my company for over 5 years and make excellent money, but have no upward mobility until I at least finish my AA.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 PM

245 posts, read 298,894 times
Default Online Schools Are Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
Has anybody here ever gotted a college degree online? If so, who did you use? Do employers disriminate aganst them? Can anybody recommend a college to go to?
At the very least, you need to know if the program is accredited. My understanding is that John Gray (Men are From Mars...) has an online degree. He calls himself a doctor. The school isn't accredited. Don't waste your money on an unaccredited school.

Also, many online programs are often referred to as degree mills. They take top dollar - often in the form of school loans and grants - and the level of education (provided they have any pedagogical standards at all) is always severely compromised. Imagine your "professor" has a master's degree, is teaching upper-level courses, and has 100 people in his online class. 100 people paying full tuition for a 3 or 4 credit hour course is criminal, in my opinion.

You get what you pay for applies here. Sure, it may cost as much to go to a NOVA school or Pheonix, but the real price is time. You learn by investing time. If you can be in a class, in the presence of a professor and students, and the class is taught well, you will get far more out of it than you would an online class.

Know that people who go to these schools find them appealing because they think they can learn without investing time - just the money. These will be your peers.

I suggest attending a community college until you get your associates. This is very inexpensive and local. Then, once you have the associates and the gen ed credits taken care of, go to a state university and ask about online programs. These universities salivate over transfer students. They graduate in higher percentages and help increase enrollments. But, because many of them are non-traditional (not just out of high school) they know they need to accommodate distance, work, and family needs. Find a school that bends over backward for you!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 PM

244 posts, read 669,655 times
I'm thinking of becoming a NYC School teacher. Any online programs for getting a Master's in Education?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,549,570 times
Try St joesph's..............

Old 04-08-2008, 03:00 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,549,570 times
As I mentioned to earlier in the thread. My wife quit her career, worked at Hofstra while getting her master's in Edu. & got free tuition. Pay was horrible, but factor in the free tuition, it worked out very well. Plus, working at the university was a very low stress job!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
I'm thinking of becoming a NYC School teacher. Any online programs for getting a Master's in Education?
Become a NYC school teacher first. NYC will pay for you to get your Master's in Education. Check it out:

NYCTF - Home - Home Page

Teach NYC, New York City Department of Education

New York City Teaching Fellows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
The problem with some online schools is that "real life" schools will not accept transfer credits from many of them. Like it has already been mentioned, find one that is accredited or find a "real life" school that offers online courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities