Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 01:53 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times

Advertisements

What is up with all the in state out of state crap...

I was looking at taking a few classes at the local CC... to take some french classes. (Note I already went to university long ago)

But then I don't qualify for in state tuition... even though we own a house here that has property tax, registered to vote, have 2 vehicles we pay taxes on, smog fees, and work in the state and pay state income tax plus federal taxes for 14 years of my life...

So what I have to sit around for over a year before I can take a course? Or 2 years at a UC? Otherwise I have to pay 1000 dollars????

Then I read crap like aliens can get waivers? Even people who haven't finished high schools and are illegal aliens can go??? People on food stamps and SSI with a ged also get to go? etc. along those lines. People who will arguably never amount to much in many cases and I just read only 30% who start even finish there.

BTW I am in California... And I think this system is complete garbage. But eff it, just money lost for them...I don't *need* it, but I would have paid if the system wasn't retarded.

Anyway I know there are some complaint about people coming into our country and leeching the education system...I just read this AB 540 thing as well and apparently if you meet certain standards you don't even have to be a u.s. citizen and they give you in state, but I don't??? What kind of retarded stuff is this. I think I have paid my dues well enough, yet I get screwed time and time again. I just sat a year unemployed and didn't qualify for NADA yet all these other people get to milk the system...
I guess I am one of those silent majorities that is starting to get very pissed.

But hey if there is a way around it let me know... but I don't think there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:45 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What is up with all the in state out of state crap...

I was looking at taking a few classes at the local CC... to take some french classes. (Note I already went to university long ago)

But then I don't qualify for in state tuition... even though we own a house here that has property tax, registered to vote, have 2 vehicles we pay taxes on, smog fees, and work in the state and pay state income tax plus federal taxes for 14 years of my life...

So what I have to sit around for over a year before I can take a course? Or 2 years at a UC? Otherwise I have to pay 1000 dollars????

Then I read crap like aliens can get waivers? Even people who haven't finished high schools and are illegal aliens can go??? People on food stamps and SSI with a ged also get to go? etc. along those lines. People who will arguably never amount to much in many cases and I just read only 30% who start even finish there.

BTW I am in California... And I think this system is complete garbage. But eff it, just money lost for them...I don't *need* it, but I would have paid if the system wasn't retarded.

Anyway I know there are some complaint about people coming into our country and leeching the education system...I just read this AB 540 thing as well and apparently if you meet certain standards you don't even have to be a u.s. citizen and they give you in state, but I don't??? What kind of retarded stuff is this. I think I have paid my dues well enough, yet I get screwed time and time again. I just sat a year unemployed and didn't qualify for NADA yet all these other people get to milk the system...
I guess I am one of those silent majorities that is starting to get very pissed.

But hey if there is a way around it let me know... but I don't think there is.
You didn't have to say you were in California. Your entire post points at that disaster of a state where working people and those truly wanting to work get screwed, while every bum, immigrant, and people with lifestyles out of the norm is helped at every turn. Now they're even going to withhold another 10% from your paycheck if you're one of those "not so progressive" people who actually hold a job.

I just can't figure out why California is buried in debt. You've got some of the finest political minds in the country, like Nancy Pelosi and Barbra Boxer who wish to translate California's fine economic model to the rest of the country.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:28 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
I don't understand why you will not qualify for in-state tuition, your OP suggests that you do indeed qualify. All you have to do is show them a state tax return and your problem should be solved. However, judging by the tone of this post, I am guessing that there is something else going on here; namely that the OP is frustrated by current state of California.

AB 540 grants residency tuition to immigrants who attended a California high school for three or more years, who graduated from a California high school, or who has the a GED or equivalent. The AB540 exemption only applies to immigrants who are in the country legally. Students on visa do not qualify and illegal immigrants do not qualify unless they can prove that they are currently going through the process of becoming legal residents of the US. Aside from that, they still meet the criteria of residency by living in the state for one year and one day and showing that they will more than likely remain in the state.

Tuition at a California CC is what, $26 a credit instate and $196 for non-res? I went to a CC in Minnesota where I paid $168 a credit, and that was for instate. The state of California, by law, sets aside something like 20% of its budget specifically for its colleges and universities, which is why California residents pay some of the lowest tuition rates. So in reality, your measly $26 a credit is not something that they are going to miss.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Yeah maybe they will miss the property tax on a 1.4 million dollar house though eh when people leave? I'm not leaving, but obviously many are. I have been here for the greater part of the last 2 years and just starting to see why, probably things like this. I've never posted anything bad about California, but this just troubles me. Like I said if there is a legitimate way around this (as I think there should be) then let me know. I just haven't found one yet.

No it isn't to do with California, but that is my experience here. I didn't have a drivers license here until June this year so... I don't qualify. I was in other states, and other countries for that matter. I've already paid in that time more into the system than the people getting free in state that aren't even u.s. citizens. It is a *community college* right? Am I not part of the community? lol... I have gotten a waiver before in another state b/c I was also working there, so I know this isn't the case everywhere, hence my post.
I don't think I can take any courses in my old state as well in this year period, it just doesn't make sense to have somebody who produces and wants to learn, not be able to and have to sit out a year or two just because they move states.

It is just the system in general but yes I started reading up on it and found the other stuff out that made me ticked off and question the state of affairs. Otherwise I am quite happy.

If people who aren't even u.s. citizens are getting waivers and virtually free education, why wouldn't somebody with a proven track record? It isn't like I am in a degree program at Berkeley and going to leave. I just want to take a french class, which I know for a FACT was not fully enrolled, nor will it be in the spring. I will wait if I have to but I'm not going to pay close to 1000 dollars a course where in another 8 months I can pay 150.
It is money for the state either way, but they are crazy if I am going to pay out of state tuition.

Last edited by grapico; 11-08-2009 at 01:45 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 01:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
I was born in California and I have lived there for the majority of my life so far. I also went to a CC there before I moved out of state. One thing that I can say for certain is that California highly favors California residents above and beyond anyone else. A California resident who did poorly in high school and managed a decent GPA at a community college will have a better chance of getting into, say, UCB over an out-of-state student with a 4.0 GPA and stellar EC's. That is partially because of the college system in California; CCs are set to the same standards of education as undergrads at UCs and CSUs. Basically, if you took a linear algebra course at a CC in California, it would meet the same basic standards of rigor that the same course would be required to meet at UCB, UCLA, UCSC, etc. It also has to do with politics of the state (which seems to transcend any particular party line).

I was able to get in-state tuition here in Maine when many of my out-of-state college buddies have not, including my GF. I waited a semester before enrolling, and found a job in the meantime. I used that, and my state tax return for that year (even though it was only for a few months of work), to 'prove' that I didn't move here specifically for college-as if the idea of attending college was an afterthought after I moved here (even though they should have me on record for requesting information while I was still living in Minnesota), how that made me a resident, and that I planned on staying in the state of Maine after a graduate. I got lucky, really.

Generally, it is up to the particular school to decide to grant you in-state or not. California is one of the few were this policy is dictated by the state, so I am not sure if exceptions have ever been made. To my knowledge, California does not use physically being in the state as a measure of residence. I.E., just because you are physically living in the state does not necessarily mean that you are a resident.

I don't see why having an out-of-state DL would be a limiting factor on residency if you can show that you have owned a home and paid taxes in the state for a period longer than they require.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:59 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,604 times
One way around it might be to stop blaming "the illegals" and instead try to find out what you can do to qualify for in state. Just a suggestion. I know that blaming immigrants is more fun and everything, it's practically a past time around this forum, but as it will help you 0% in achieving your goal, why don't you channel your anger somewhere else? If there are time limits etc on residency that prevent you from getting in state for a while, suck it up. Or, again, just keep ranting here about your hatred for California. It gives you something to do while you wait to be eligible for in-state tuition, and it keeps some people on this forum entertained. I suppose in a way it's a valuable public service.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
One way around it might be to stop blaming "the illegals" and instead try to find out what you can do to qualify for in state. Just a suggestion. I know that blaming immigrants is more fun and everything, it's practically a past time around this forum, but as it will help you 0% in achieving your goal, why don't you channel your anger somewhere else? If there are time limits etc on residency that prevent you from getting in state for a while, suck it up. Or, again, just keep ranting here about your hatred for California. It gives you something to do while you wait to be eligible for in-state tuition, and it keeps some people on this forum entertained. I suppose in a way it's a valuable public service.
There is no blame on the illegals, I just find the system flawed that they would allow that to happen while others stand by. After doing the research on waivers I found several and that is what they were catering to.
I never said any hate for California, it isn't California specific. I love California, but this particular aspect is pretty messed up in my opinion. If they don't want to evaluate it on a case by case basis, as the poster in Maine said they did to him there, it is kind of ludicrous if you ask me. It is money in their pocket they are losing, subsidized or not. Kind of silly actually to tell people no, while having budget woes.
Yes I am ranting, but I am also asking if there was a way around it, as I think there should be.

Again this is a CC, community college, open admission, for the community, u know, people who live there and participate in the community. As I said before I already went to university a long time ago, I just want to take a singular class. It is not like I am trying to circumvent the system, or even get into a degree program, or go to Berkeley or any of that mess. But looking into it made me stumble upon what is going on.

Last edited by grapico; 11-08-2009 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities