Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times

Advertisements

I applied at SW Tennessee Community College. Their tuition is almost 1500 per semester, 2500 out of state, and they do not accept federal Stafford loans. The process is complicated and they are not helpful at all.
Then I apply to Northwest Mississippi Community College and their tuition is only 850 per semester, 1000 out of state. They absolutely accept federal Stafford loans and they have been very helpful.
No doubt in my mind what school I am selecting.
These schools are about 10 miles apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
I have no idea. Tuition in California community colleges is set. Right now it's a measly $20 a unit. When we lived in Illinois, the different schools were different amounts. Plus, you had to go to the one in your district or pay even more.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:39 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
There are so many factors that come in to play in determining tuition--the respectability of the degrees they offer and the quality of the faculty, campus amenities like libraries, labs, athletic facilities, and housing, student life attributes like extracurricular activities, etc.

But most importantly, it is the way each state runs their Department of Education and their budget. The cost of higher education is only partly paid with student tuition. Part of the cost of running a university is paid for with tax dollars. Some states kick in more making your tuition lower, others pay less. Some states distribute those tax dollars equally to every school in the state, but most don't.

All of that affects the tuition bill you get.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
Heck, the schools are in different states! Of course they're going to be different. And each college has its own personality, its own strengths and weaknesses...not to mention each has its own way of doing things.

BTW, you'd better check the tuition...they might classify you as out of state.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I applied at SW Tennessee Community College. Their tuition is almost 1500 per semester, 2500 out of state, and they do not accept federal Stafford loans. The process is complicated and they are not helpful at all.
Then I apply to Northwest Mississippi Community College and their tuition is only 850 per semester, 1000 out of state. They absolutely accept federal Stafford loans and they have been very helpful.
No doubt in my mind what school I am selecting.
These schools are about 10 miles apart.
What do you mean by this? Since when a College dose not accept a federal loan? Just pay for it yourself and have them deposit the loan into your bank account.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
What do you mean by this? Since when a College dose not accept a federal loan? Just pay for it yourself and have them deposit the loan into your bank account.
This was already discussed in another thread by this OP. The US Department of Education Federal Family Education Loan Program places requirements on schools participating in the program. Some of these requirements are that a satisfactory number of loan holders complete their degrees and do not default on their loans.

SW Tennessee Community College is not a participant in the program because they are not able to meet these requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities