Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,543 times

Advertisements

I am an international student wanting a reasonably affordable college that has a great design program, graphic design, digital art, etc.
It has to be stunning, as i want to love living there,
prefferably have a campus, greek houses would be cool
and be close to a city and/or a beach

any sugguestions on how to get a scholarship aswell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,934 times
in which country are you planning to go? USA? if it's about graphic design and stuff, hmm then I guess colleges around Boston-NYC-Chicago are pretty good. you might want to learn each school's plus and minuses. California's also not bad.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
Unfortunately, scholarships are VERY competitive for international students. I know my college used to give 5 full ride scholarships to international candidates every year, but those five kids were geniuses. One of them actually won the Bulgarian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Some state schools also won't ever allow international students to claim residency and instate tuition, so there's no guarantee of saving money there.

Getting a scholarship in the arts is even more difficult- all the international students I know came over for science.

However, for schools, FIT & Pratt in NYC are great design schools. A friend is doing her undergrad design degree at The College of New Jersey and she loves the program. FIT and Pratt won't be a traditional college experience though- no real campus, Greek life, etc. Honestly, you might be better off doing your undergrad degree in your home country and doing a graduate course over here. You'll hopefully build up a strong portfolio and that will do a lot of good in terms of getting into a school. What country are you in right now?

Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,543 times
thanks i live in new zealand, maybe going for my last year of college is a good idea

Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 8,067 times
Boston, Ma is a great small city. Boston University has a fairly new Center for Digital Arts
in Waltham, Ma on Moody Street. The Boston area can be expensive, but if you can live in
a rooming house, you can save abit, or have room-mates/house-mates.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Rhode Island School of Design (RISDY)

Old 12-08-2009, 01:01 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
California schools...

UCLA (right in the heart of Los Angeles)
USC (great greek row)
UCSD (city and beach close)
UCSB (it's literally on the beach...1.5 hrs from LA)
UCR (in the middle of SoCal, 40 min. from LA, the beaches, the mountians, the desert)
UCI (Beach and LA close)
Berkeley (need I say more)
UCD (nice college town)

California universities are beach close, most have off campus greek houses, and are close to large cities.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
In Oz:
Australian graphic design colleges and courses

Monash, RMIT and Swinburne have interesting programmes. Okay Victoria can be chilly in winter just like in NZ. But summers are brilliant and in Vic the beach is never far. Alas no greek rows...

Last edited by minibrings; 12-09-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
California schools...

UCLA (right in the heart of Los Angeles)
USC (great greek row)
UCSD (city and beach close)
UCSB (it's literally on the beach...1.5 hrs from LA)
UCR (in the middle of SoCal, 40 min. from LA, the beaches, the mountians, the desert)
UCI (Beach and LA close)
Berkeley (need I say more)
UCD (nice college town)

California universities are beach close, most have off campus greek houses, and are close to large cities.
the op is not from the US:

USC - Univ of Southern California (LLA)
UCSC - Univ of Calif., San Diego
UCSB - Univ of Calif, Santa Barbara
UCR - UC, Riverside
UCI - UC, Irvine
UCD - UC, Davis (furthest from beach)

not sure if any of the above have design programmes..

Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
the op is not from the US:

USC - Univ of Southern California (LLA)
UCSC - Univ of Calif., San Diego
UCSB - Univ of Calif, Santa Barbara
UCR - UC, Riverside
UCI - UC, Irvine
UCD - UC, Davis (furthest from beach)

not sure if any of the above have design programmes..
The OP can google. That's what I did for UCT (University of CapeTown)...not from South Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities