Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:07 AM

45 posts, read 146,247 times

Advertisements

What's your general opinions about New Mexico Tech?

I have checked the town Socorro,NM on google map. It seems that it's in the middle of nowhere, and I am a little worried about the job situation after graduation. Can I find jobs with decent pay out of NM? Is NMT a natioally recognized school with good reputation?
In addition, are there any similar schools on the eastern coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:09 AM

BTW, I want to get a degree in Computer Science.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:41 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
If you want to go to a tech school and get a degree in Computer Science, Georgia Tech is a school to look into on the east coast.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:35 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecar View Post
What's your general opinions about New Mexico Tech?

I have checked the town Socorro,NM on google map. It seems that it's in the middle of nowhere, and I am a little worried about the job situation after graduation. Can I find jobs with decent pay out of NM? Is NMT a natioally recognized school with good reputation?
In addition, are there any similar schools on the eastern coast?

Socorro, NM is in the middle of nowhere, but don't get me wrong it would be a nice place to live; the scenery is awesome.

If you're going for a computer science degree I would attend UNM (Univ. of New Mexico). The university is located in Albuquerque, NM and is not as desolate as Socorro, NM. You also have Intel in area for internships as well as the Forest Service, which is a major employer in Albuquerque.

A guy that I work with graduated from UNM with a CS degree and got an internship with Intel and he's doing well for himself. Good luck on your search.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:29 AM

thank you!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,313 times
I know a lot of people who went to NM Tech. Two observations, totally anecdotal and from my own experience: 1) a number of my NM tech graduate buddies have pretty amazingly well paying jobs (thought not all), 2) people either love or hate Socorro. And those who it it really really hate it.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
I know a lot of people who went to NM Tech. Two observations, totally anecdotal and from my own experience: 1) a number of my NM tech graduate buddies have pretty amazingly well paying jobs (thought not all), 2) people either love or hate Socorro. And those who it it really really hate it.
Interesting..

Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,797 times
Cookie Car,
Computer Science is one of New Mexico Tech's top three departments, with a special emphasis on cyber-security. Within the national security agencies, Tech is well known. A c.s. degree from NM Tech is a valuable commodity, even outside of New Mexico.
Check this out: A Well-Rounded Focus on Cyber Security Education. Of course, I'm biased. I work at NM Tech. However, if you're truly interested in learning more, you should call Dr. Lorie Liebrock, the department chair of the c.s. department. Seriously! Our professors are happy to talk to prospective students.
Tech also has the lowest tuition you'll find anywhere. Out-of-state tuition is lower than in-state tuition at many schools. And there's plenty of scholarship opportunities
Thom Guengerich
Public Information Officer/New Mexico Tech

Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
If you're going for a computer science degree I would attend UNM (Univ. of New Mexico). The university is located in Albuquerque, NM and is not as desolate as Socorro, NM. You also have Intel in area for internships as well as the Forest Service, which is a major employer in Albuquerque.
Don't forget Sandia and Air Force Research Labs, a HUGE number of opportunities there.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,770 times
Default NMT Computer Science

If you want a very long list of opportunities, NMT can make that happen.

I have personally placed students at many national labs (including Sandia, Los Alamos, Idaho, Army Research), government agencies (including NSA, DISA, SPAWAR, CIA, USACE, RRB, BLM), and private companies (including Intel, Microsoft). These are just a few I can name off the top of my head. I think NMT provides a very strong (and difficult) program with excellent opportunities for internships and permanent placement.

I must admit my bias - I am the Chair of the Computer Science and Engineering Department at NMT and I run the NMT's Scholarship for Service Program (which funds students to study information assurance then work for government agencies).

If you are looking for a great program that will challenge you, check out our Computer Science Program (or our Information Technology Program): [url=http://www.nmt.edu]New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology: Science Engineering Research University[/url].

Lorie M. Liebrock
Chair - Computer Science and Engineering
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (NMT)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities