Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:46 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,428,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
So we should kick out over 3 or 4 million people that live in public housing units?

Life is all kinds of tough, isn't it?

How about getting a job and paying for your own housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:46 PM

413 posts, read 1,165,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Oh no, I suppose they would have to actually be accountable for spending and watch their money, just like everyone else.

Start with ridiculous social programs and go from there. I'm sure they can find a few trillion amidst funding for gay black transvestite art.
How about the people that are currently dependant on these programs? Everyone receives SS, medicaid,etc. How many millions would be out on the street because they can't subsidize the cost of living?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Life is all kinds of tough, isn't it?

How about getting a job and paying for your own housing?
Yes, life is tough. What kind of repercussions will these people have to resort to then? Stealing, murdering, conning,etc. It's statistically known that the poorer economic level commits more acts of illegal crimes than those that are fortunate.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
How about the people that are currently dependant on these programs? Everyone receives SS, medicaid,etc. How many millions would be out on the street because they can't subsidize the cost of living?

Then perhaps they should move somewhere cheaper.

Maybe a hard slap in the face by reality would be a nice motivator. Because why bother to exert effort when you know the government checks will keep rolling in.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, life is tough. What kind of repercussions will these people have to resort to then? Stealing, murdering, conning,etc. It's statistically known that the poorer economic level commits more acts of illegal crimes than those that are fortunate.

That's their choice. No one makes anyone steal, con, or murder. It's something they choose to do.

But according to you, instead of getting a real job or working for a living, that's what they should resort to?

When caught, hopefully the death sentence will be carried out quickly so as to not cost too much.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Then perhaps they should move somewhere cheaper.

Maybe a hard slap in the face by reality would be a nice motivator. Because why bother to exert effort when you know the government checks will keep rolling in.
How about the millions that are already living in cheap areas? Where do they go? What about the 10.6 million that use their social security checks as their only source of income after 65?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
How about the millions that are already living in cheap areas? Where do they go? What about the 10.6 million that use their social security checks as their only source of income after 65?

They can always move somewhere cheaper, I hear northern Minnesota is pretty inexpensive.

And we aren't talking about retired people, we are talking about able-bodied people who contribute nothing, yet get to ride for free.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
That's their choice. No one makes anyone steal, con, or murder. It's something they choose to do.

But according to you, instead of getting a real job or working for a living, that's what they should resort to?

When caught, hopefully the death sentence will be carried out quickly so as to not cost too much.
I'm not stating either/or. I'm stating that if the huge insurgence of people that can't already afford their own housing are kicked out, they will over saturate the job market; thus causing rammifications to various variables that will be hard to comprehend quantitatively.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
They can always move somewhere cheaper, I hear northern Minnesota is pretty inexpensive.
I'm talking about the ones that are getting by on their checks, literally. The disparaties between cheaper places isn't going to offset the amount of help they need to live.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 PM

768 posts, read 943,290 times
[quote=itshim;12113314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post

If another applicant of African descent applies, he/she of European descent will not get the scholarship. Hey even if no one else applied for the scholarship, I still don't believe that he or she would get it. This has come up numerous times in the past with North African Arabs applying for African-American scholarships and it has not worked. They would not assume that the "white" person an "arab" person and the "black" person share a common ethnicity based on their region of birth. And believe it or not they do check these things out, namely because scholraships generally require interviews and other materials to substantiate qualifications. If you don't believe me just try applying to your top college and check off "black" for racial and ethnic identity in an effort to capitalize on certain benefits. Your admissions acceptance will probably be revoked. If there were no consequences for falsely identifying ones self, everyone would simply check of native-american, black and hispanic to give them selves the upper edge as URMs (unrepresented minorities). The admissions staff know exactly what you are trying to do. They are not going to buy your theory about "everyone came out of africa anyway" as a cop out.
This is incorrect, and I'm going to ask you to link me one of these cases wherein they have rejected the North African Arab. This could theoretically happen in a private scholarship, but alas even then the organization wouldn't come out and say it.

I'll await the link that does not exist.

You have to understand, it's not a matter of "checking these things out," and so on. These are the facts: FAFSA et al asks for "ethnicity." Ethnicity can be deduced to mean "a group that you feel you belong to." There is no standard of measurement, nor anything to "check out" as you imply. Whether or not you personally believe this can be used fallaciously is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities