U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 AM

484 posts, read 2,089,848 times

Advertisements

Hi again guys...I have made several threads on a topic similar...
but instead of school, I would just like to compare the 2 majors.
From what I have found on the net, it seems like many famous people have gotten an economics degree as opposed to 0 from international business.

I really like the aspect of doing business on a global scale but I can't find much information of people doing really great with international business degree.

Help me out here....I intended to take international business but I might just have to consider taking calculus to take economics.
thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 AM

784 posts, read 2,584,668 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...l#post12058262

I thought you were going to SDSU because of Intl. Business. And now you want to change.

Why don't you figure out what you want to do in life before you decide on your major.

There's a saying:

$hit or get off the pot.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 AM

I was and can easily get it...but now I dont know of many people being successful with a degree in international business so i am a little skeptical.

can u just elaborate between economics and international business?
I only was weary of economics because calculus was a weak subject for me.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:48 AM

2,993 posts, read 5,634,512 times
Grape.
It depends on what you want to do, both at school, in your career and in life.

It also depends on how you plan to tackle each subject.

Both can lead to fantastic careers and enriched lives.

S.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,543,293 times
Many famous people are not famous because of the degree they got. They got to where they are because of hard work and brains. The point isn't so much WHAT your major is but more so that you GET a degree and work hard in your career. I know plenty of successful people that have degrees in English. You need to find something you enjoy because you will be doing this for the next 40 years. Don't worry so much about what other people are doing.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 AM

912 posts, read 1,222,370 times
I say do what you think you will emjoy doing.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 AM

917 posts, read 2,728,180 times
I have a friend who finished her B.A. in international business from San Diego State. She got an internship in Switzerland, met a guy, got married and helps run his family's international business. She jet sets all over the world and never spends more than a few months in one country. She's not fabulously wealthy, but definitely pretty comfortable for a 25 year old.

My point is, majoring in international business or econ won't matter if you aren't any good. A major is only a starting point. At the end of the day, it matters how hard you work and that you are doing something you like. If you like your job, you will work harder and achieve more.

If you want to work in international business, then major in international business and get an INTERNSHIP. Those are more important than your majors.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 PM

stinatado insightful thanks...
it just seems for me that employers seem to like economics better than international business.....

The thing is I really like both and wouldnt mind one or the other...but if employers seem to like economics better than international business...then i might need to change...
I just dont want international business to be some crappy major.....and later regret it.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,728,180 times
The thing is though, it will only matter for your first job, and that's if you don't do any internships. Your professional experience will always overshadow your major. An International Business major probably has a better chance of getting you the kind of internships that will get you a dream job. An econ major may not. If you do at least one good internship while you're in college, you can major in either one and be fine.

Trust me on this, I majored in theater and minored in geology and the longest I've been unemployed is three weeks. I've worked extensively outside my majors (as well as in my fields) because I have a lot of good office experience and that counts for a lot.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 AM

243 posts, read 1,567,771 times
Would you like to do business internationally or would your like to call yourself an "Economist"??? Economics is a theory based major, that is why they offer not only a BS in it but a BA as well...It is not a focus or career path like finance or accounting...International Business is broad as well...My opinion would be to get a undergrad major in something specialized like accounting, finance, maybe even information systems, and then to get a MBA (which is very broad) afterwards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities