Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 10,156 times

Advertisements

I am a junior and a Spanish major. I just had my first semester at my new school (yes I am a transfer) and I became so stressed out by all of the people in my dorm because I could not sleep it has been so loud, the food made me sick, people are sexually assaulted (I almost was) and there are "condom hunts", sex talks, the people next door have "many overnight guests... ahem", there are f my life boards, and f my life days weekly; people wanting to pull out their "snake for me", people stabbing one another, and it is disgusting and the school won't do anything about it. I couldn't make any friends because no one wanted to talk to me after I told them I did not party, drink, or do drugs. My teachers even told me "men come here to get laid and women come here to pick up a future husband after sleeping with a few other men first" ... ewwwwwwww..... I have evidence of all of this which is sad.

I ran out of money because I got sick from stress and developed major depression and I had to buy medications that my insurance wouldn't pay for (I developed ulcers and acid reflux from stress) and now have to go back to community college or do something else. I am definitely used to stress, my life at home was never peachy neither. I do not know what career and major I want to go into now, no other college will accept my General Education credits (I looked already), and from this experience I no longer wish to attend college. I tried to suck it up and stay, but the counselor and doctor and teachers all told me to leave, the teachers wouldn't even help me. At first I wouldn't leave, but then I ran out of $.

I love to draw, use computers, write (i have written for college newspapers), I love foreign languages, talking to people, business courses are cool (I have a background in this and am close to associates degree in this at community college), I love to garden too and cook. I just have no money and was never able to get scholarships... I've been trying for 3 years with fastweb, etc. I have grants and maybe a loan, they are recalculating it now.

So, I do not know whether or not to go back to community college (which I can't really pay for neither), just work, etc. I feel like a failure and a drop out. My family and boyfriend are supportive (I didn't think my mom would understand) but I have no hope and have lost interest in college and all the things I used to like to do. I am going to try to find someone to talk to because of depression though but I will have to pay for that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,015,388 times
I hated college and still hate it. It is a breeding ground for dysfunction, politics, and indoctrination. My advice is to get into a degree program at an upstanding community college or university where you can take most of your classes online. The stress of attending class will vanish and you will only have the stress of organizing your schedule and studying on your own. You also learn a lot more with online classes.

Psychiatry and psychology are nothing but cold-hearted businesses that exploit everyday human foibles. If psychiatry and psychology is so amazing and helpful then why is it so expensive and why does it take forever for there to be visible improvements? Why does it cause a lot of problems? Psychiatry and Psychology is garbage.

Best wishes. I hope these videos help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKYAmg5giAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30onstc6jIA

Last edited by artsyguy; 12-07-2009 at 07:13 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,371,136 times
^^ umm, okay... (sounds like some spiel from Scientology)^^

to the OP: I would suggest taking time off to compose yourself. I did the same years ago when I was having issues. in the long run, it's for the best. I felt weird that, at 25, I'm only a sophomore in college, whereas high school friends my age are already working on their Masters, but I knew that it was the best path for me to take time off. college will always exist, and it's far more important to maintain you health as opposed to getting a degree. no one is going to judge you for not having a degree by a certain age (and the folks that do judge you are morons and not worth listening to anyways)

now may be a good time to get a FT job and just concentrate on getting better. save some cash up and do some research on what you want to do. pick a major and career path you'll really love, as opposed to one that will just get you a high paycheck. I know being financially secure is key, but being happy in your career is just as important. if you like to write, pursue a degree in writing. maybe check out technical writing and see if that may suit you. as for financial aid, I honestly gave up on fastweb years ago. the best source for financial aid are federal and state grants (many of which are need based as opposed to merit based) and scholarships offered by the school itself.

lastly, check to see what services you qualify for in terms of getting discount medical visits. some hospitals and clinics will charge on a sliding scale, meaning they charge a certain amount based on your income. a lot of pharmacies like Walgreens have resources for discount drugs (Walmart also provides certain drugs for real cheap). even check for state aid, if you qualify (no is not the time to let pride get in the way. if you qualify for Medicaid/care, get it!). school will be useless if you aren't in the mental space to learn

lastly, don't be so down on yourself. a lot of people suffer through depression and a lot of people have had to put their education on hold in order to seek treatment. first goal is to help yourself and get better, then explore yourself and ask yourself what you really want to do and pursue that goal

sorry for the rambling, hope it helped a bit

Old 12-08-2009, 12:32 AM

25,157 posts, read 54,015,388 times
Eevee it sounds like you don't want to look at the facts. And I do not approve of Scientology. I approve of helping the OP and helping her do what is best. What is best is to avoid psychiatry and mental health medications. She has realized that there are a lot sleazy weirdos out there, even in academia. Which she described in her OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
^^ umm, okay... (sounds like some spiel from Scientology)^^

to the OP: I would suggest taking time off to compose yourself. I did the same years ago when I was having issues. in the long run, it's for the best. I felt weird that, at 25, I'm only a sophomore in college, whereas high school friends my age are already working on their Masters, but I knew that it was the best path for me to take time off. college will always exist, and it's far more important to maintain you health as opposed to getting a degree. no one is going to judge you for not having a degree by a certain age (and the folks that do judge you are morons and not worth listening to anyways)

now may be a good time to get a FT job and just concentrate on getting better. save some cash up and do some research on what you want to do. pick a major and career path you'll really love, as opposed to one that will just get you a high paycheck. I know being financially secure is key, but being happy in your career is just as important. if you like to write, pursue a degree in writing. maybe check out technical writing and see if that may suit you. as for financial aid, I honestly gave up on fastweb years ago. the best source for financial aid are federal and state grants (many of which are need based as opposed to merit based) and scholarships offered by the school itself.

lastly, check to see what services you qualify for in terms of getting discount medical visits. some hospitals and clinics will charge on a sliding scale, meaning they charge a certain amount based on your income. a lot of pharmacies like Walgreens have resources for discount drugs (Walmart also provides certain drugs for real cheap). even check for state aid, if you qualify (no is not the time to let pride get in the way. if you qualify for Medicaid/care, get it!). school will be useless if you aren't in the mental space to learn

lastly, don't be so down on yourself. a lot of people suffer through depression and a lot of people have had to put their education on hold in order to seek treatment. first goal is to help yourself and get better, then explore yourself and ask yourself what you really want to do and pursue that goal

sorry for the rambling, hope it helped a bit

Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,278,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallynn-s View Post

I am a junior and a Spanish major. I just had my first semester at my new school (yes I am a transfer) and I became so stressed out by all of the people in my dorm because I could not sleep it has been so loud, the food made me sick, people are sexually assaulted (I almost was) and there are "condom hunts", sex talks, the people next door have "many overnight guests... ahem", there are f my life boards, and f my life days weekly; people wanting to pull out their "snake for me", people stabbing one another, and it is disgusting and the school won't do anything about it. I couldn't make any friends because no one wanted to talk to me after I told them I did not party, drink, or do drugs. My teachers even told me "men come here to get laid and women come here to pick up a future husband after sleeping with a few other men first" ... ewwwwwwww..... I have evidence of all of this which is sad.
Stabbings and sexual assaults are a serious legal matter, and I do not believe that your school is taking such issues lightly, especially if you have evidence. If the school will not anything about it, then take the matter to the police.

Yeah, dorms tend to be party central, but I do not believe that you cannot make friends simply because you do not party. I know plenty of dorm students that do not drink or do drugs and they have no problem making friends with those who party. My guess is that it is you who do not want to hang out with them, not the other way around.

I also do not believe that you have teachers who proclaim that men go to your school to get laid and that women attend to find their future husbands. This whole situation sounds too over-the-top, even for Animal House.

By the way, in the Philly thread you say that you live in an apartment, not a dorm.

Quote:
I ran out of money because I got sick from stress and developed major depression and I had to buy medications that my insurance wouldn't pay for (I developed ulcers and acid reflux from stress) and now have to go back to community college or do something else. I am definitely used to stress, my life at home was never peachy neither. I do not know what career and major I want to go into now, no other college will accept my General Education credits (I looked already), and from this experience I no longer wish to attend college. I tried to suck it up and stay, but the counselor and doctor and teachers all told me to leave, the teachers wouldn't even help me. At first I wouldn't leave, but then I ran out of $.
What medications where required that your insurance wouldn't pay, or that you couldn't purchase generic? You do not need a prescription to deal with acid reflux or ulcers, basic over the counter remedies do well for these, and I am not sure why you put ulcers and acid reflux in parenthetical.

Unless you took some really whacky gen-eds or received a grade of a C- or less, I doubt that none of them will transfer. Some schools will even accept a C-. Besides, there is no way of knowing which courses would transfer based solely on looking at a college's website. That is a decision that is made by the department of your major that is made after you transfer and are in the matriculation process.

Quote:
I love to draw, use computers, write (i have written for college newspapers), I love foreign languages, talking to people, business courses are cool (I have a background in this and am close to associates degree in this at community college), I love to garden too and cook. I just have no money and was never able to get scholarships... I've been trying for 3 years with fastweb, etc. I have grants and maybe a loan, they are recalculating it now.
You have been in college for three years, but yet you do not know if you have a loan?

Quote:
So, I do not know whether or not to go back to community college (which I can't really pay for neither), just work, etc. I feel like a failure and a drop out. My family and boyfriend are supportive (I didn't think my mom would understand) but I have no hope and have lost interest in college and all the things I used to like to do. I am going to try to find someone to talk to because of depression though but I will have to pay for that too.
If you lost interest in college then you probably will not do well at a CC, either, but, realistically you should be able to receive enough financial aid to be able to pay for a CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Eevee it sounds like you don't want to look at the facts. And I do not approve of Scientology. I approve of helping the OP and helping her do what is best. What is best is to avoid psychiatry and mental health medications. She has realized that there are a lot sleazy weirdos out there, even in academia. Which she described in her OP.
How do you know what is best for the OP? America definitely over-prescribes medications, and I believe that too many people take meds who should not, however, there are some people who do need medication, particularly psychiatric meds.

Depression is a serious issue. It is best that she listens to her doctor, counselor or at the least family, not some stranger on the Internet.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,591,857 times
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time!

If I were you I wouldn't make any important decisions right now. Stress and depression are not the best advisors. I don't know if it's a possibility for you to "freeze" your classes to have fresh air and concentrate on working or other activities for a while?

Another ideas are the possibility to look for a small apartment outside campus, maybe renting with another quiet student(s) so it wouldn't be so expensive, and the possibility of taking classes online so you can continue with your career without being exposed to this environment that sounds really dangerous. Maybe after completing some courses you'd be able to transfer again to a better place?

And as far as I know every college/university has a counselor (licensed therapist, etc) to help you during stressful times with confidentiality.

I know my advise may not sound very practical, but I had a very hard time some years ago and I'd loved to hear "take your time to calm down and then decide". Sometimes you need a step back to recover balance and continue the way Good luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,427,918 times
Default The problem is not the place, it's YOU

Quote:

Consider setting your goals higher, majoring in something that is more challenging, something that will give you a great sense of PRIDE in pursuing and achieving. It sounds like you have a very low self-esteem, and are prone to blaming others for your own failures. Are you overweight? Consider getting in shape. We all create our own realities. Create a better one for yourself.

Also, consider an online school like this one. (American Sentinel University | Earn Your Online Degree With Us) It's a viable option in this day and age, one that might be better suited for you. Consider nursing in conjunction with Spanish. Great demand for this now.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,863,591 times
I got my degree as a non-traditional student. I worked full time, owned my own house, paid as I went and did evening classes, so I graduated with no debt. It took longer, but I think it was worth it. Funny, college for me was a stress reliever, because I got away from home and job, made new friends and got to exercise my brain.

You don't have to live the stereotypical "college life" and go to college. I would not want to deal with dorms full of drunk, sex crazy party animals either, and was glad I missed all that during my college experience.

But the real world is no easier, so your problems with stress and depression may be deeper than just college. Chin up and good luck though...

Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,917,047 times
Quote:

My suggestion is to take some time off. I would work for a bit, stay close to those that make you comfortable, seek some professional help and then draw a plan.

Sometimes you may view things very differently while depressed. It could be possible that things are not as bad as they seem, but you don't realize it. Which is I say take a little time off and regroup.

Maybe it might be your living situation. Are the majority of people in your dorms upper classmen or freshman? If this is the situation, take a little time off to develop a course of action.

Are you frustrated with the social scene? I would encourage joining a club. Find something that interests you.

It's harder being a transfer student from this respect. But, with a little time, effort, and healing...you'll be alright.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,937,165 times
It sounds like you are hearing your doctor and teachers and counselors telling you to leave as an indicator that you are not cut out for college, when I really doubt that is really what they are saying. It sounds like they are recognizing that you are in an unhealthy situation and you need to get out of it.

While it is true that some people need prescriptions and counseling to handle their depression no matter what their circumstances, some people just need to change their circumstances.

At most I would imagine they are telling you to leave school and take a break, but I would imagine most of them just think you would do better in a different school where academic excellence is emphasized. Perhaps your depression is making you hear only certain words and twist to be even worse.

Please take artsyguy's comments with a grain a salt. It doesn't matter the subject, he manages to work in his rantings about higher education. Don't let his cynicism and jadedness be a guideline for what to do with your life, your career, or your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities