Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
Just to add my .02.

When I was in school a technology degree was more for someone trying to get into the hands-on side of things. Assembling, testing of components etc. A technician basically. The classes were nowhere near as heavy in the math and science as an EE

An EE degree can give you some of the same career options as the ET degree but opens up an entire new set of doors. From a career standpoint I would never go for an ET degree, but it depends on the person and what you want to do.

I have known quite a few engineers that got their ET and regretted it since pure engineering was their goal. If your ultimate goal is BSEE just take prereq's for that and skip the ET altogether. Although some classes are similar, some are not, and other ET classes are not calc based version and you would have to retake for the EE degree. You could add a year or two to your degree

I have heard arguments against going for an Masters in any engineering without a similar undergrad but I won't get into that. However, a master's in general could alter your career path. Unless you want to get involved with the research side of things it probably won't give you an advantage if pure EE work is your goal.

For the best bang for your buck for a four year degree I would go straight BSEE. Again, that's if pure engineering is your goal.
Good post, I strongly agree with the part in bold. I would say that many of the engineers I know do get a master's at some point in time. A PhD is the research degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,839,678 times
Regardless of what the school brochure may say, a “Technical Degree” from a community college generally means that you are qualified to work on an assembly line, or to be a “helper”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities