U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,513,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Sure they can - They are called contract employees. Do a single job, finish it and job is over.
That's not outsourcing technically at least not in the way I think of outsourcing. A contract employee is still someone in America doing the job.

Gardener yes I read the Occupational Outlook Handbook book everyday practically. It states there's going to be lots of growth in the industry and it's not dying anytime soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:57 PM

5,747 posts, read 11,661,915 times
So, have you given any thought to the questions I posed above? Who do you know in WV working in IT? For whom do they work? What roles do they fill?

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-14-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 PM

23,713 posts, read 29,176,538 times
Quote:
The OP is looking for $80k out of the door.
Sorry. Wrong thread. In another thread the guy is graduating and is expecting to find a tech job that pays $80k in NYC.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I asked my information architect spouse, and he had a few questions...

What kind of IT you want to pursue: infrastructure, development, consulting, sales?
Do you see yourself working in an educational, corporate, or government setting?
What kind of salary and benefits are you hoping to receive when you graduate?
Where do you live now? Are you willing to relocate?
Are you willing to travel? How much?
Would you be comfortable performing contract work?

My husband has a Bachelor's Degree and studied MIS (Management Information Systems), which was popular in the late 80's and early 90's. He has worked in both private industry and for government contractors in several areas of the country. He now works on the private-industry side as a resident consultant and works with a handful of local clients. He travels very occasionally. After twenty years of experience, his salary, including bonus and on-call pay, is well into the six-figures and typical for someone in his role. He works 8-5, but enjoys a great deal of flexibility, and he's on call once a month or so. He does carry a Blackberry and is expected to respond to client emergencies at any time of day or night. Fortunately, they are few and far between. He receives a full benefits package, including medical, dental, an ESPP, stock option grants, 401k, small pension, and tuition assistance.
Quote:
While not impossible, that's a pretty rare salary for an IT guy right out of school, unless he has work experience and lives in a very high COL area. If you are working in San Jose or New York, $80k won't go very far, even if it seems like a generous salary. Getting that kind of money in the center of the country, where it will buy you a reasonable standard of living, is much more difficult, if not impossible.

It really comes down to what kind of job you want to pursue in IT, which offers a variety of paths. Think carefully about the basic questions I posed in my previous post.

In my spouse's job, he often performs client assessments. His job requires high-level technical skills, project management ability, analysis, writing, and public-speaking, and his generous pay rate is a reflection of it. He works with people who have similar technical skills but aren't comfortable with writing and public speaking. They can't demand similar pay. Likewise, my husband can't demand the even higher salaries of people in his position who travel 80% of the time.

You need to get out and talk to people in the IT industry. Find out what they do on a daily basis. When you find something that intrigues you, investigate what kind of education is necessary and pursue it. That said, understand that you can't just finish a degree in information systems and call it good. An IT professional is a consummate student, because the industry is always changing. Another thing to remember is that a really good IT professional is constantly working himself out of his job. You have to be able to stay one step ahead if you want to stay employed.
Quote:
So, have you given any thought to the questions I posed above? Who do you know in WV working in IT? What roles do they fill?
I would prefer working with networks, routers, or databases I'm not really interested in software development or sales. If I wanted to get into development I would probably try to get into game design that's the only way I would do it. I don't really care about the setting and I'm quite content with just an average salary and benefits I don't think you can expect too much when you just enter a field. I live near Pittsburgh I probably would not have to relocate Pittsburgh has a growing technology sector.

I appreciate all the info you gave about your husband and so on and will take note of it. Yeah I remember back when I graduated from high school back in the 90's MIS degrees were the thing to get, well, one of the things to get.

The only thing is he entered the field back in the 80's so it's a lot different now as far as just starting out and what companies look for. My best friend works in the IT field he works in a backoffice setting working with servers. I know the IT field changes constantly and you have to keep up on new technology. That's one thing I would like about it because I get bored easy and like constantly learning new things.

NeilVA
Quote:
Sorry. Wrong thread. In another thread the guy is graduating and is expecting to find a tech job that pays $80k in NYC.
Ahh I see.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The only thing is he entered the field back in the 80's so it's a lot different now as far as just starting out and what companies look for.
My spouse has done a great deal of interviewing and hiring job candidates over the years, as have the majority of his peers in the tech industry. That makes his counsel very relevant, but if you would prefer to discard it out of hand, I won't waste any more of my time, or his, trying to help you.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-14-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM

I think you misunderstood what I said I do find your info helpful I just mean that the field is different now than it was in the 80's when your husband entered it as I'm sure your husband will attest to. Some of the certifications were not created until the 90's and the advent of the internet so obviously in the 80's noone had the majority of the current ones that are relevant.

You didn't say your husband did actual hiring in the original posts I quoted so yeah if he does hiring I would love to know what he looks for as in certifications and degrees. That's the exact type of info I'm looking for...I'm not looking for a job "currently" I'm looking down the road and trying to not waste time acquiring credentials that are useless. In the IT dept where my friend works some of the management is involved in the hiring process while others are not it just depends.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:39 PM

H.R people don't do technical interviews. Hiring managers typically don't do technical interviews. Tech people do technical interviews.

Before I approach my spouse for suggestions, is there any other information you'd like him to know about your career goals?

Edit: I talked with him by phone a few moments ago, and off the top of his head and based on the limited information you've provided, he has a couple of suggestions. He indicated that he thinks you need to do a little more investigation regarding your options, because network and database management are two very different career fields, even though they both fall under the IT umbrella. That said, if you want to go into networking, he thinks the CISCO certs make the most sense. If you want to pursue database work, look at Oracle certs and MSSQL. He would further suggest that you work your way through to a specialization in MS Exchange.

He would rather see someone with a Bachelor's degree, but he wouldn't turn down a competent two-year grad. He's also hired a couple of people without any degree at all, but they typically started down the IT path early in life and had a lot of experience under their belts by the time he sat down to interview them.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-14-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 04:26 PM

9,910 posts, read 19,921,696 times
Try going the government route, working as a DoD civilian or contractor on a local military base. They often hire IT folks from private industry. You have a better chance of being hired with certifications and little experience as opposed to the other way around. They are going to train you to do things their way anyway, but to weed out the competition they typically insist on A+ and Security certifications.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
If you want to pursue database work, look at Oracle certs and MSSQL. He would further suggest that you work your way through to a specialization in MS Exchange.
Its an expensive direction, but in the long run it'll pay over six figures. But in this direction you wont be working with hardware. OAUG conference is coming up in Vegas in April. You may want to look into it.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM

formercalifornian,

Quote:
He does carry a Blackberry and is expected to respond to client emergencies at any time of day or night.
And here I thought I was the only one getting those 0200 pages. Does he scratch his head at 0210 stating " Its in the on-line manual, how hard would it have been for them just to look it up". But I guess since we have it all memorized, we can answer and resolve the problem quicker than it takes for them to look it up and follow the step by step instructions. Also when he does his writings does have to make a special edition just for India in British English (rather than American for everyone else)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities