Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 AM

105 posts, read 234,809 times

Advertisements

I have a bachelors degree in English and was thinking about getting a masters degree in education. But I also have an interest in Biology. I was never able to get into Biology because I always had to work full time and lab schedules would conflict with my work schedule. I wanted to know now if it's not too late to get into Biology? Would I have to get a second bachelors?, because a biology masters program, requests a bio background. Has anyone out there ever switched to a science program from an liberal art?.. Please respond let me know your opinions..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
You probably wouldn't have to get an entire second degree, but you would need a LOT of prerequisite coursework. Your best bet would be to speak with someone at the school you are interested in and ask about attending as a 'post bac' to take the necessary prerequisites before applying to the graduate program.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
It's quite common to change direction. You may have to take a GRE however.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNix732 View Post
I have a bachelors degree in English and was thinking about getting a masters degree in education. But I also have an interest in Biology. I was never able to get into Biology because I always had to work full time and lab schedules would conflict with my work schedule. I wanted to know now if it's not too late to get into Biology? Would I have to get a second bachelors?, because a biology masters program, requests a bio background. Has anyone out there ever switched to a science program from an liberal art?.. Please respond let me know your opinions..
As already stated, you'll probably have a lot of work ahead of you in prerequisite classes - in addition to standardized entrance exams.

But you might want to make sure that you've really asked yourself what exactly you intend to do with this degree before you commit all of this effort to it.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:02 PM

105 posts, read 234,809 times
Thank you everyone for information ... I really have some thinking to do....Before I spend money and time..

Old 02-13-2010, 03:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Definitely weigh the cost of the prereqs.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,024 times
Quote:
I ran into this too. I'm in IT but was strongly considering Geology. To get into a Master's program, I needed to take some undergrad Geology courses, but most of them had labs. And it was impossible for me to tell my boss, 'Twice a week, I need to leave for 2 hours in the morning for a lecture, and then I'll also be gone part of the afternoon to take the labs.'

I think that because we live in a world where we may need to change careers a few times anyway, universities should offer courses that can be taken by working adults. I felt like there was no reason why the school could not have offered the lectures in the evening and then labs on a Saturday. But regardless of what many schools say about 'being ready for the future' and 'supporting diversity'... to many of them, they still perceive their typical student as some 18-year-old out of high school. The only master's programs that seem available to working adults is business, nursing, and education.

End of story... I ended up getting a Master's in a field closely related to what I do. Economically, it was good move. But personally and intellectually, I feel somewhat 'robbed' of not being able to pursue something that naturally interests me.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
I think that because we live in a world where we may need to change careers a few times anyway, universities should offer courses that can be taken by working adults.
Some schools do offer this. I am currently looking at two schools right now, one is a highly regarded online graduate program, so the classes can be taken whenever. The other is designed for working adults and the classes are offered in the evenings.

Look around. A lot more schools are offering programs for the non-traditional student, and that includes full-time workers. You also have to be creative. You may need to take a different job first, that gives you the flexibility to attend daytime classes, at least for a semester or two.

Speaking from experience about lab courses, it really is quite difficult to offer such courses as evening courses with any kind of quality. Three hours of lectures plus four hours of lab time would take up almost all of your evening free time, and that's not including homework. So a school would either have to lower their standards & accept a slower pace for evening students, or accept that fewer students will be able to keep up and do well in the class. Neither option is usually palatable for the school.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:57 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
To answer your question: in your case, most likely very difficult. There are many excellent writers who can easily move toward a social science. But science requires that actual science background: math and physics.

Human Biology, a combo of bio and anthro, is an easier leap for someone with a background in critical writing.

However, if you have no background in bio to begin with, it would be surprised that Master's programs who give you a slot. There is one exception, however. Master's programs are usually in dire need of cash. If you are willing to pay $50K a year for two years and suggest some willingness to fill gaps in your bio education prior to entering, then you might be able to get in somewhere. A full year of bio and chemistry might do the trick.

S.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:37 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Can you take a bio class at a CC? See if you still like it as much as you think you do and if you do, you can take more classes to get up to date. After several years of working towards a law degree after a psychology BA, my friend realized she wanted to fulfill her childhood dream of being a vet. She took a bunch of science courses over the next year and a half and then applied to vet school and she got into UC Davis, which is a phenomenal vet program.

You may not like it as much as you used to when you get into the higher levels or you may love it. It's better to take one class rather than bust your buns to get into an MS program and discover you hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities