Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM

77 posts, read 210,733 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I've lived in the Philadelphia area for my whole life, 17 years, and I dread the cold. Literally. I've gotten to enjoy the 40 degree weather sometimes, but I seriously hate the snow and the cold. I used to live in Jacksonville Florida, but that was only for two years. Anyhow, I plan to leave this area for college and go to college somewhere like the LA area, San Diego area, Tampa Bay area, somewhere that's nice and warm all year round.

And then after college of course, settle there. I REALLY am into Southern California so I really would like some help and advice on this.

Is it a dumb idea to go to college all the way out there and then settle there? I seriously can't stand it here. The people, the climate, everything. However, I really loved NYC. I really did.

I want it to be 55-95 year round wherever I go, and the Southern California area fits this very well.

I'm going to apply to some colleges there this summer as I'm a Junior and graduate June 2011. I plan on going for 4 years, and taking Criminal Justice as well, then becoming a Police Officer.

Any advice? Differences about the two areas I should be aware of? Is this a bad idea?

Thanks, I appreciate the comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 PM

433 posts, read 1,228,625 times
You might want to look into the Border patrol.

CBP - Career Descriptions

Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Well, I currently am planning everything out, and I really like everything I hear about Southern Cali, even was considering Hawaii, but it's far from the mainland. Basically I want to head there NEXT summer after I graduate for college, graduate from college, and settle there and be an Officer. I just want some advice and I want to know if it's a dumb idea to go to an out of state college and go that far and all, thanks.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
There's nothing wrong with leaving an area to go to school. It might be difficult, though, for you to spend much time visiting a school in advance to get a sense of what it might be like living there.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:29 PM

Right. I might get a job this summer to finance myself a little bit. Basically, I'm a fun loving guy and I want to start a new life basically. Get away from the cold weather, the people, my family, and just begin living life. And Southern California can help me do that. I love the warm weather, but what scares me is wildfires, earthquakes, hurricanes, and those crazy Californian natural disasters. But the hot weather will be worth it.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
I absolutely love living in Southern California (specifically San Diego), and aside from it's faults, I think it is a great place to be. I would suggest San Diego over Los Angeles, for it's a bit less expensive (note I say "a bit") and more of a laid-back vibe that I think you'd prefer from what you've said. Look into SDSU or UCSD, if you're interested. Seriously though...we used to live in Florida and moved here last May...I absolutely love it and hope to never leave, provided we can always afford to live here.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerC93 View Post
Hey everyone, I've lived in the Philadelphia area for my whole life, 17 years, and I dread the cold. Literally. I've gotten to enjoy the 40 degree weather sometimes, but I seriously hate the snow and the cold. I used to live in Jacksonville Florida, but that was only for two years. Anyhow, I plan to leave this area for college and go to college somewhere like the LA area, San Diego area, Tampa Bay area, somewhere that's nice and warm all year round.

And then after college of course, settle there. I REALLY am into Southern California so I really would like some help and advice on this.

Is it a dumb idea to go to college all the way out there and then settle there? I seriously can't stand it here. The people, the climate, everything. However, I really loved NYC. I really did.

I want it to be 55-95 year round wherever I go, and the Southern California area fits this very well.

I'm going to apply to some colleges there this summer as I'm a Junior and graduate June 2011. I plan on going for 4 years, and taking Criminal Justice as well, then becoming a Police Officer.

Any advice? Differences about the two areas I should be aware of? Is this a bad idea?

Thanks, I appreciate the comments.
I think planning to go to college where you want to live is a great idea but know that you have a very slim chance of being able to get into a California Public University. California is having a huge budget crisis and does not (even in good times) especially welcome students from out of state into their colleges.

Also, it's amazing how one's mind can change from application time in early fall and decision time the following Spring. Make sure you have academic and financial safeties in your home state as well as California. If I were you, I would look more seriously into Florida and other SE states instead of California. There are Colleges in Florida that have over 50% of the students from out of state, and you won't find that in California.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:12 AM

Right, thanks. That's why I also plan to apply to some colleges in Southern Florida as well. Southern Cali is where I want to be, but if I don't get into any colleges there, I might be able to get in one in Southern Florida.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
A lot of kids I went to college with came from out of state and stayed in So Cal. I'm one of the few weird ones from So Cal who moved away after college. It's probably the easiest way to make connections there- you can intern and make connections during college and use those to get a job when you graduate.

You could probably get into the Cal State system, maybe the UC if you're smart, but be warned, they will be very expensive for an out of state student, even more so than a private school. Look at some private universities too- some of them have really good financial aid programs.

Also, the natural disasters aren't that bad- I grew up along the San Andreas fault next to a hill prone to wildfires not far from a canyon prone to flooding. It's far far better than all the snow and cold weather I get in NYC.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Haha hey buddy, the reason I selected LA is because I go to NYC all the time and I need to go back soon. I love that city so much, I'm in love with it. Like when I get to go my heart just races and I get automatically happy- as sad as that is. haha. I LOVE Manhattan. Thing is, I dread the cold weather, and I hear LA is very similar to NYC, so an NYC with warm weather all year round would be ideal.

I hope my plan works out and I'm able to get in a Southern Californian college to study Criminal Justice, I really hate it here in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities