Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 71,274 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm currently taking Calculus 2, and failing(the reasons being a combination of it being a difficult course and some laziness on my part). It it still possible for me to pass the class with a 'c' if I do ok on the next exam and the final.(I need a C to pass, not a D). The withdraw date is before the next exam, so I need to decide if I want to risk failing or withdraw now and retake the class.

My main concern is how an F will look on a transcript compared to a Withdrawal. I'm planning on becoming a teacher(certified in secondary english, and hopefully math). Does one look worse that another to potentail employers?

Also, retaking the class will mean taking 19 credits one semester, which would be intense, the normal here is 15.
Just in case you want more details, failing the class wont have any impact on my GPA, scholarships, etc, because I'll be retaking it immediately after, so thats not a concern.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole906 View Post
Hey all,

I'm currently taking Calculus 2, and failing(the reasons being a combination of it being a difficult course and some laziness on my part). It it still possible for me to pass the class with a 'c' if I do ok on the next exam and the final.(I need a C to pass, not a D). The withdraw date is before the next exam, so I need to decide if I want to risk failing or withdraw now and retake the class.

My main concern is how an F will look on a transcript compared to a Withdrawal. I'm planning on becoming a teacher(certified in secondary english, and hopefully math). Does one look worse that another to potentail employers?

Also, retaking the class will mean taking 19 credits one semester, which would be intense, the normal here is 15.
Just in case you want more details, failing the class wont have any impact on my GPA, scholarships, etc, because I'll be retaking it immediately after, so thats not a concern.

Thanks!
It will if you're receiving a Pell Grant.....

Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Quote:
Yes, it will impact your GPA!

If you fail the class, that class will appear on your transcript and the grade you receive will be used in calculating your grade point average. An F will pull your GPA down. Neither the course nor the grade will ever be stricken from your transcript. That is the entire point of a transcript--to serve as a record of your academic career.

If you retake the class, it will also appear on your transcript, and the grade you receive will also be used in calculating your grade point average. If you do better the second time around, it will pull your GPA back up from the previous F. But it does not overwrite the previously failed course.

If you withdraw and then retake it, both classes will appear on your transcript but only the second attempt will affect your GPA.

Personally, I would withdraw. Rarely does a student change their fortunes on a final exam from failing to a C.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
I have never heard of an individual grade affecting employment, let alone an employer even checking, but I am sure that someone will tell you otherwise.

A 'W' will not have an effect on your GPA or financial aid. A 'C' certainly will have an effect on you GPA, but not necessarily on financial aid as long as your overall GPA is satisfactory.

If you stick out the course and do get a C, it would be best to just let it ride and move on. If you stick it out and fail, retaking the course -if even for just a C- will look a heck of a lot better than a W and not retaking it.

If you apply to grad school, you will more than likely be asked why you withdrew from the course, and possibly, why you did not retake it. Even if you fail and retake the course, you still might have to explain why you failed the first time. Ideally, you would pass the course with the minimum satisfactory grade - at the least - but, like I said, it will look better if you rebounded from your F (or W) and enrolled into the course again for another try.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

If you retake the class, it will also appear on your transcript, and the grade you receive will also be used in calculating your grade point average. If you do better the second time around, it will pull your GPA back up from the previous F. But it does not overwrite the previously failed course.
Yes, both grades will appear on the transcript, however, how it factors into GPA is up to the school.

Some schools will drop the grade points from the first attempt, and only use the grade points from the second grade to (re)calculate the GPA; even if the second grade is lower.

Some schools will use the grade points from the higher grade and drop the grade points from the lower score regardless of whether the higher grade was from the first, second (or sometimes third) attempt.

And in some schools both grades will be used in calculation of GPA.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 71,274 times
Thanks so much for your advice!! Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, both grades will appear on the transcript, however, how it factors into GPA is up to the school.

Some schools will drop the grade points from the first attempt, and only use the grade points from the second grade to (re)calculate the GPA; even if the second grade is lower.

Some schools will use the grade points from the higher grade and drop the grade points from the lower score regardless of whether the higher grade was from the first, second (or sometimes third) attempt.

And in some schools both grades will be used in calculation of GPA.
At my school, only the second grade is used in the final GPA, although both grades are left on the transcript.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,991 times
I got a C the first time I took Calc II, so I retook it for grade improvement. I then got a B. My school also only uses the latest grade. On my transcript the first attempt at Calc II says C, then E, for excluded from GPA.

(I also had the same thing happen in Calc I, got C, retook for an A.) Those were the only classes I took twice!

If you can, stay in the class and try to pass it. Go visit the prof every week for help. Then when you retake it you'll know what to expect the next time around.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:15 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
You should withdraw from the class with a W, then retake it next semester, making sure that you actually pass the course the second time around.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:30 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,524 times
How low is your grade now compared to the class average?
Honestly, I would just stick it out. Most people who see a W on a transcript will assume it was due to failing anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities