Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 AM

44 posts, read 63,672 times

Advertisements

About to finish my MA in Geography and find myself wondering what place or direction to go in.

When I first started out, I thought I would go into either urban/regional planning or something in demographics.
After almost 2 years in Geography I don't want to go into planning.

My interest is in the kind of discussions we have on this board.
Specifically, the examples below demonstrate what I am most interested in demographics:
-Where do people in North East PA commute to? (economic geography?)
-Where in NJ do people root for the Eagles and where do they root for the Giants (sports/economic geography?)
-Where is the line in NJ where it shifts from Philly to NY orientated.
-What are the voting patterns in southern NJ (political geography?)
-What TV stations (NY or Philly) do people watch in central NJ?
-What are the NHL TV ratings in NY?

Now, the challenge is I am not a quantitative geographer. I love descriptive stats, and I love using them. However, my strength and expertise is NOT in doing the calculations and most certainly not in GIS.
My strength is in critical thinking and analysis using the stats, maps which already have been produced...as opposed to being the GIS guru or stat calculator.

What I'd like to know, are there any organizations out there which might fit?
What kinds of places would hire or do the kind of work which fits my passion and skillset?

The Census Bureau was suggested to me, however I'm not really interested in working for a large bureaucratic organization. Further I understand in the Census most of the work is repetitive office work, very little field work, and you will likely be stationed in DC.
I have no interest in wanting to work in DC and I really can't stand being in the same physical, indoor spot day in and day out.
I'm used to school where you get to move around between different buildings and get fresh air.

Aren't they any organizations/companies/careers that fit OUTSIDE DC, where you aren't in a "cube" all day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,373,558 times
GIS is the big thing nowadays in both public and private entities. Even so, a lot of the demography stuff is done in the state/local/federal government or by government contractors, and that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. What you're describing would probably be a better fit in academia, to be quite honest. While you're describing some pretty interesting topics, that's just not stuff that's going to provide a public good (government) or be worth money to a firm (private sector).

Old 03-22-2010, 05:48 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,242,804 times
If you want to combine it with economic input you could produce feasibility studies for locating new businesses compiling already available information.

Or, you could put together regional surveys showing strengths and weaknesses of an area for municipalities. Either one would require you establishing your own business.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM

44 posts, read 63,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
GIS is the big thing nowadays in both public and private entities. Even so, a lot of the demography stuff is done in the state/local/federal government or by government contractors, and that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. What you're describing would probably be a better fit in academia, to be quite honest. While you're describing some pretty interesting topics, that's just not stuff that's going to provide a public good (government) or be worth money to a firm (private sector).
Why wouldn't you think some smaller agency state/local or government contractors wouldn't work?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,373,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogger View Post
Why wouldn't you think some smaller agency state/local or government contractors wouldn't work?
From what you said you didn't want to work in a "bureaucratic organization." That's going to be the case regardless of what level of government you're at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities