Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:08 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You can call it whatever you want. First of all you can't libel an entire student population. And not when they've all signed the honor code. Second, to prove defamation you've got to prove that the answers written were correct. But of course if no one can read your answers, you can't prove anything.

That honor code policy has been in force for fifteen years and it is a school with 20k students. If it were a problem it definitely would have come up by now.

If you're not willing to take the time to improve your handwriting that's certainly your prerogative, but there are consequences to that.
You miss my point. Its not about a student population, its about a single student being accused of plagiarism, something that could harm future careers and other opportunities. And you sure as hell don't have to prove answers were correct or anything else to say you weren't stealing someone's work, burden of proof doesn't go that direction. Also, just because someone signs something, doesn't make it legal or enforceable. For an example, a landlord can put whatever the hell they want in a lease, doesn't mean when push comes to shove that it can be enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
For starters, the OP needs to realize a keyboard and spellcheck and texting are useful in the business world, but someday he may find all the electric off and need to know how to write.

Yes, I taught school ( about 30 years). Yes, I made kids use cursive handwriting (grade 3 and above) and it had to be legible.

I even had them learn calligraphy in art... I do calligraphy and I worked with the art teacher to teach it to them. It greatly improved handwriting.

If your writing cannot be read, no one will know what you have to say. Someday you might even have to sign a check (* if you can't bank online) or sign legal paperwork.... there are many reasons to learn to write legibly!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:52 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
You should of wrote it in crayon on construction paper. As a joke. ha ha. That would be hilarious. Seriously, a lot of professors are so stuck up. I feel for you.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:53 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Complain on a blog lol. Teach the teacher a lesson in manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
So i just got back my test for communications and on one part,
my teacher completely crossed every answer as wrong just because my handwritign was bad.
Can she do that???

Thats so bs, all my answers were right and its not like its totally bad. I am thinking of going to the teacher and complain but want to know if anyone has any knowledge on this topic..

Old 04-01-2010, 01:23 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
Kodaka

What's the name of the school?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM

165 posts, read 548,539 times
As a grad assistant, I have to second the "if I can't read it, I can't grade it" sentiment. You have to write one test; I have to grade over 100.

Learn how to write more legibly, however you can, because someday, in the real world you'll need to either be able write so that others can read it or make enough money to have an assistant who can translate it for other people.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
My first question to the OP would have been:

If you had 1 hour for the test, did you take 1 hour? Or did you scribble your chicken scratch, hand in the test in 20min and then leave to get a snack?

I have a bad handwriting, I've seen this. If your teacher/professor feels that you took no effort to write legibly and left your test early, I'd say they are in the right. I wouldn't want to grade that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities