Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:42 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

I don't know why people just assume being a plumber or a police officer or a car mechanic, for example, is easier or less valuable than say, teaching college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines when I graduated in the 1990's, But then I bought into the whole college thing. I was only a kid so I bought into what the counselors and teachers told me. What did I know. College was the mantra at my high school as well. Everything other then that was looked down on. When I went to high school they said major in whatever you want. But get that degree it was life or death lol. Even the kids who made made better choices are no better off in many cases. When you make a call on a career at 18. There is no telling what going to happen. Those jobs may be sent offshore. I saw kids major in CS or engineering because it was the way of future. But not for the US worker when those jobs can be done for so much less overseas. I remember one high school teacher telling us about the future. He said most jobs would be part time or temps no benefits. You would change jobs every few years. They would send more jobs overseas all kinds of jobs. We all thoght he was nuts. I will never forget some kid asked. What going to happen to us we can not live off part time and temp work. I will never forget what he said business dose not care. And he was right. We are becoming a nation of part time and temp workers.
I too bought into the whole college thing in the late 1990's. I went to a state school and learned didn't learn many skills that are marketable in today's job market. My college experience was terribly watered down. One class was so easy that I could actually turn in late work, do the work wrong, and get full credit. One of my friends took a class that was so easy you didn't have to attend and you could get an A.

I did have friends that went to community college and they were doing hands-on activities, internships, labs, and you had to work for your grades. If I had it to do over, I would have went to community college.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
I went to a "tier one college" that was how you described. Where students could get by doing very little critical thinking. A lot of classes forced busy work that added zero value to my learning experience. But me <a minority> was chastised, chided, and scolded when I tried to conform to their laid back atmosphere. I was told I had to "work for my grades". But how come everyone else gets to sit by and BS their way through grad school then?

I left that BS college. And went to a college where the professors actually taught and tested over the subject. And most of them formed relationships with their students. I've used professor references to help me get scholarships! And went above and beyond with my thesis. 90 pages of pure gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I too bought into the whole college thing in the late 1990's. I went to a state school and learned didn't learn many skills that are marketable in today's job market. My college experience was terribly watered down. One class was so easy that I could actually turn in late work, do the work wrong, and get full credit. One of my friends took a class that was so easy you didn't have to attend and you could get an A.

I did have friends that went to community college and they were doing hands-on activities, internships, labs, and you had to work for your grades. If I had it to do over, I would have went to community college.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,213 times
I don't think archaeology is useless, but I sure do think "sport management" is. But that's just me. If there are people out there who want to spend four years and thousands of dollars being unpaid interns (slaves) to sports teams, that's their business.

Going to college now is very different than what it was 20 years ago (when I went). High school students are working harder to impress because EVERYONE is going to college now; but they're not necessarily working smarter. I work at a college and see a lot of functionally illiterate students (and no, it's not a community college). It's really pretty shocking.

I wouldn't want to be a high school kid today, that's for sure. More and more people vying for fewer and fewer choices. I honestly don't think the average high school student has TIME to read, as they're too busy with activities. College has become all about extroversion and relentless "activity" and not about the quiet life of the mind. Also, the exhortation to go to college "or else you'll be poor" is a lot like people in the middle ages were told to attend church every Sunday or burn in hell for all eternity. The fearmongering strategy is the same. When sadly, in reality a lot of college graduates are going to be "poor" (or "not rich") after they graduate anyway.

Higher education is the next bubble to burst -- like the housing bubble burst, where everyone was told they could get rich by buying a house and selling it for a higher price later. Higher ed is getting to be exactly like that. And many kids are buying these expensive degrees still really believing they can turn them around quickly for a profit. Just like the housing bubble, this heyday of the higher education industry will not last forever.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
It really amazes me to see job postings that require college degrees/advanced certification for pretty basic office jobs. Why does a receptionist need a degree? Or an A/P clerk a business degree + CPA designation? It really is crazy.
No kidding. I applied for a job a few months ago that required a college degree. It only paid $8.00 an hour. My goodness, a person could work at McDonalds with just a diploma and make that much.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM

9 posts, read 20,154 times
I am returning to school after being laid off and have realized a lot of what is posted here is true. After much consideration I chose to go into Medical Administration so that I could learn and be educated in a variety of skills in the medical field. When looking at job postings right now they want two years experience and a degree all for a $10/hr job, if you're lucky. Also, some of my training includes medical transcription (not what I am looking for) but these jobs have also been outsourced, mainly to the Philippines. (Yes, our medical records are being transcribed elsewhere.)

Also, I noticed that K-12 schools are not showing students what choices are out there, at least in the discrict we reside in. I recently just attended my 5th grade son's career counseling with his guidance counselor. They have the kids color the jobs on the sheet related to their preferances of what they want to be. The kids are only given a small amount of choices to select from, 30 at most. When meeting with my son and his counselor he seemed upset and not really interested in the ones he had chosen. When I looked at the list I could see why. Yes, they had the basics, teacher, doctor, vet, pilot, and nurse. Oh, and they also had pro athlete. This "career folder" will follow them around until they graduate, being revisited in 8th and 12th grades. I really think kids need to be aware earlier that there are many choices out there. As we were leaving school that day I reassured my son that he would not have to choose from those careers only but to look into things that he truly enjoys and that he has time yet.

I have also noticed that there are many new offerings for green jobs. Okay great a new field, but soon there will be more enroled in these programs than possible jobs.

I believe that a person should be interested in what they are doing and not just going with the future outlook or money.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 PM

253 posts, read 794,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby1975 View Post
I am returning to school after being laid off and have realized a lot of what is posted here is true. After much consideration I chose to go into Medical Administration so that I could learn and be educated in a variety of skills in the medical field. When looking at job postings right now they want two years experience and a degree all for a $10/hr job, if you're lucky. Also, some of my training includes medical transcription (not what I am looking for) but these jobs have also been outsourced, mainly to the Philippines. (Yes, our medical records are being transcribed elsewhere.)

Also, I noticed that K-12 schools are not showing students what choices are out there, at least in the discrict we reside in. I recently just attended my 5th grade son's career counseling with his guidance counselor. They have the kids color the jobs on the sheet related to their preferances of what they want to be. The kids are only given a small amount of choices to select from, 30 at most. When meeting with my son and his counselor he seemed upset and not really interested in the ones he had chosen. When I looked at the list I could see why. Yes, they had the basics, teacher, doctor, vet, pilot, and nurse. Oh, and they also had pro athlete. This "career folder" will follow them around until they graduate, being revisited in 8th and 12th grades. I really think kids need to be aware earlier that there are many choices out there. As we were leaving school that day I reassured my son that he would not have to choose from those careers only but to look into things that he truly enjoys and that he has time yet.

I have also noticed that there are many new offerings for green jobs. Okay great a new field, but soon there will be more enroled in these programs than possible jobs.

I believe that a person should be interested in what they are doing and not just going with the future outlook or money.

I agree for the most part, but going for something that interests someone is much different than putting a roof over their head or food on the table.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:

I wouldn't worry too much about "career counseling" in 5th grade. Your son is likely to change his mind many times over the next 10 years or so. I would say if the school is doing this in 5th grade, it's to get them thinking about their interests, more than anything else.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 AM

840 posts, read 3,466,656 times
Search: Success without a degree - Who needs a degree - 1 (http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Who-needs-a-degree.aspx?cp-documentid=24320936&imageindex=1 - broken link)

Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
This is exactly why fields become flooded, job availability diminishes, and rate-of-pay goes down. It is easy to look at the hot jobs now, or the fields that are expected to show substantial growth in the near future without taking the long-term into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities