Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
What kind of line of work can you go into without a college education and make at least 50,000 a year? My ds was looking into law enforcement but you still have to have some college. Of course I think that he should go to college but he hates it.
He won't make that kind of money right away but he could apprentice to become a Jouneyman Lineman. There is usually a shortage of linemen and with the potential upgrade to our nations electrical grid the timing might be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
I was looking at the federal jobs and most of them require a degree of some kind.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
What kind of line of work can you go into without a college education and make at least 50,000 a year? My ds was looking into law enforcement but you still have to have some college. Of course I think that he should go to college but he hates it.
The bottom line is that whatever your DS want to do, he needs to be willing to start from the bottom. There is an entitlement mentality out there in society that people think they should get a job starting with salaries that require experience and/or college education.
Tell you DS to either get off his butt and start going to college, trade school, or whatever and get a trade or profession and start from the bottom.
I wish people start getting the work ethic our parents used to have by starting from the bottom by washing dishes, mopping floors, cleaning offices, etc. and going to school in the evenings or saving to open a business.
I always admire people that do not get stuck in dreaming. They get up and work on their dreams like the Mexican immigrant that started working picking fruit in the fields of California, saved money to attend night classes oand never gave up in his dreams. His achievement? A leading brain surgeon at John Hopkins University. If a man with no knowleged of English and no education made it for sure your DS can make it.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Plenty of jobs, but not really entry level.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Would you mind just using the word "son?"

Old 03-31-2010, 06:37 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
Some people mentioned building trades like carpentry, masonry, or simply "construction" - are you aware that there is an enormous recession going on that has thrown thousands of construction workers out of work? If I were going to focus on a trade it would be something like plumbing, hvac, or electrical work, which can require a high level of skill that weeds out a lot of the dummies (unlike, say, landscaping in which any idiot with a lawnmower and a truck full of mulch can pass themselves off as a landscaper). And those trades have applications in construction and in maintenance/repair. In good times, people buy new furnaces and in bad times they fix their old one.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
elamigo, My ds has been working since he`s been 15. That doesn`t sound lazy to me....He knows that he needs to start from the bottom.When you are 15, 16 you only have the BOTTOM to start from. Why are you so feakin hostile over something that doesn`t affect your life....

tribecavsbrowns, that is really petty.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Air traffic control, any of the trades (although trade school, which is training is needed in most cases) like auto machanic (make a lot of money), carpentry, welding, masonry, construction, then there's plumbing, electrician, ...

How about dental assistant, nurses aide, etc..
Surely you jest? The top pay for a nurse aid is probably about $15/hr, $30K/year, maybe $20/hr ($40K/y) in some high COL areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
You do not need a degree to become a cop. You need to be able to pass a written test, physical, backgrounds, psychlogy, and mental test. You have a stable history and a clean background. Having a degree helps but not has much as military experience. Since the government is doing so badly, becoming a cop has become tougher than ever. It will take at least 1 year to get throught the process. Then depending on what department, the academy takes 14-26 weeks. Once you finish that, you will become an officer.
Some police depts do require some college, at least before the police academy.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Yeah, not going to find much without at least an AA/VE option or gaining some skills through a military job.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
I don't know where you live, but where I live cops make $8 per hour. (and they have to complete the "academy" training).

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities