Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Air traffic control, any of the trades (although trade school, which is training is needed in most cases) like auto machanic (make a lot of money), carpentry, welding, masonry, construction, then there's plumbing, electrician, ...

How about dental assistant, nurses aide, etc..
I don't know about where you live, but where I live nurses aids make minimum wage.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Air traffic control, any of the trades (although trade school, which is training is needed in most cases) like auto machanic (make a lot of money), carpentry, welding, masonry, construction, then there's plumbing, electrician, ...

How about dental assistant, nurses aide, etc..
I thought that a degree was required for Air Traffic Controller? I am pretty sure that at least a two year degree is required to be a dental assistant.

Welding requires at least a two-year technical degree or some sort of other certification if you really want to make money. Yes, you can learn to weld on the job like I did, but without a degree or certification you will max out at around $25, 000 a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This varies by state, in MN you have to have at minimum a 2 year CC degree and there is talk of moving that to a 4 year degree.
Isn't Minnesota that only state that does not have a police academy?

One thing to look into is the IATSE -the stagehand union. They pay $18 an hour starting, time-and-a-half after eight hours, and double time for working after midnight. The average shift is around twelve hours, with at least three or four of those hours occurring after midnight.

The only downfall is that it is extremely hard to get into and you have to put in a few years of working sporadic shows before you will get hired on full time. But no degree required.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I'm pretty sure most dental assistants have at least some post high school training/education. There may be a few who were trained by a dentist, but I think that's less common lately.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
What are his skills? What can he do? How many years of experience does he have doing it? He doesn't like college but is he willing to go to trade school? We need these answers in order to know where to direct him.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Most reputable companies won't even look at sales people without a college degree now.

That's not true. Pretty much anyone can get a job as a mortgage broker or financial planner. If it is a full commission job, companies dont lose much if you dont work out.

Hell, you can make six figures selling Kirby vacuums and they do hire just about anyone to do that job.

You can go get a job at most major financial services firms selling financial products without a college degree.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:39 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Commuter airline pilot

Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Commuter airline pilot
Uh, I don't think so! My daughter has a friend who is a pilot. He has a bachelor's degree. The entry level job was for a commuter airline.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Uh, I don't think so! My daughter has a friend who is a pilot. He has a bachelor's degree. The entry level job was for a commuter airline.
As long as you take the flight training and pass the tests you can get a license. Getting a job, of course, is a different story since individual air companies might require a degree. But to BE a commercial pilot, one is not required.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 AM

207 posts, read 963,747 times
Look, the bottom line is that there might be a few jobs out there that don't require a degree, but it's going to vary a lot by where you live. Those jobs are probably not going to be the most pleasant and they probably won't pay much in the beginning but it's possible to make more if you stick with it for a while. You say that your son doesn't like college and doesn't want to go, maybe he's just young and being immature/stubborn. It's very possible that once he gets out into the job market without a degree he'll quickly change his tune when he realizes that he can't live a certain lifestyle without the credentials. You never know. Maybe it's best just to let him do his thing and figure it out in his own time, not everyone goes to college right away but a lot do go back later because they want a better job/life.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
elamigo, My ds has been working since he`s been 15. That doesn`t sound lazy to me....He knows that he needs to start from the bottom.When you are 15, 16 you only have the BOTTOM to start from. Why are you so feakin hostile over something that doesn`t affect your life....

tribecavsbrowns, that is really petty.
Do not confuse hostility with expessing a point. Also, do not put words in my mouth. I never said he was lazy. I do not know your son to make that assessment. You are correct that it does not affect my life. YOU brought up the issue about your son in this forum, not me. I simply expressed my opinion. If you cannot take honest comments, then do not bring family or personnal issues in a forum where you may read something you may not like or take offense to.

Please go back to your original OP and look closely what you said about your son regarding college. I simply replied on that point, no more no less. I never said anything on a personal basis about him.
I used the 'get off his butt' comment because if he wants a $50K job or a law enforcement job and needs it that is what he needs to do. I also alluded to a general attitude that is pervasive out there. Young men and women want to have good paying jobs right away without going to school or to get experience as time goes by. Why did you ask the question in the first place? Do you not realize it takes time and effort and often education also to get better paying jobs? Did you expect people in this forum to tell you a job where he can go and right away get paid $50K?

What I said is not petty. It seems you simply cannot take reality.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities