Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times

Advertisements

This kind of follows the 50k without a degree thread.

I have an MS degree in chemistry as my name suggests. I find that the kind of jobs that specifically utilize my degree [Lab jobs] often pay worse than if I never went to college at all [sub 40k]. I am not looking for six figures but I at least want a middle class salary and a career.

What kind of jobs are out there that hire people with a science degree but are not science based? I am considering going back to school for an MSA and becoming an accountant but consider that a last resort I would rather not have another 2 years of minimal income plus tuition. Any suggestion [other than sales I hate sales too and am not an aggressive person].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
You must not be looking in the right places. I know plenty of chemists that make well over $100K for various lab jobs. What type of companies have you looked into?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You must not be looking in the right places. I know plenty of chemists that make well over $100K for various lab jobs. What type of companies have you looked into?
Must have a Ph. D and got very lucky. Most Ph. D's I know end up post-doc'ing for years before giving up and leaving the field. There is 1 Ph. D level position for every 10 Ph. D's

I currently work in the food industry. I've tried pharma but they do not let you in unless you already have pharma experience.

In fact almost the only decent chemist jobs I've seen are in formulations, which, they do not teach you at college nor have I ever seen an entry level formulations job. Worse still, they will not just hire a chemist with formulations experience, they require a chemist with five years formulations expereince in the ink industry or paint/coating etc.

The majority of chemist positions are through staffing agencies for $15-20 an hour no benefits/holidays/sick leave even and no career advancement.

I am just plain sick of it all and want to get out of the field while I am still relatively young (29).

Old 04-02-2010, 08:13 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times
Wait a minute. You're in or near Chicago? Look at Argonne National Labs. Its scientist heaven and the pay is pretty darn good. They have the salaries listed on each job description. Argonne National Laboratory ... for a brighter future Go to there careers section and see what's out there. Also check out Fermilab in Batavia, IL.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times
Oh wait, just read your last post. If you just don't want to be a chemist anymore then please disregard my post, LOL

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Must have a Ph. D and got very lucky. Most Ph. D's I know end up post-doc'ing for years before giving up and leaving the field. There is 1 Ph. D level position for every 10 Ph. D's

I currently work in the food industry. I've tried pharma but they do not let you in unless you already have pharma experience.

In fact almost the only decent chemist jobs I've seen are in formulations, which, they do not teach you at college nor have I ever seen an entry level formulations job. Worse still, they will not just hire a chemist with formulations experience, they require a chemist with five years formulations expereince in the ink industry or paint/coating etc.

The majority of chemist positions are through staffing agencies for $15-20 an hour no benefits/holidays/sick leave even and no career advancement.

I am just plain sick of it all and want to get out of the field while I am still relatively young (29).
You can work for an investment bank as a research analyst who covers companies in the pharmaceutical industry or food industry.

They pay maybe ~$80k to start but top analysts make over $200K+. Sometimes they get to be on TV. If you get an MBA from a top school, it's much easier to make this move, and you will start out at higher than $80K.

This type of move is not uncommon. For example I've seen ex-military guys making $200K+ covering aerospace and defense stocks. But they got their MBA from Harvard / Wharton / etc before going into finance.

You are at the perfect age for MBA schools (maybe a bit old for Harvard), so it's better to apply sooner than later.

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 04-02-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM

151 posts, read 569,860 times
I sympathize with your situation. If I could make a living as a chemist I'd still be doing it. I like chemistry, but not enough to live in poverty for the rest of my life. I decided to go into physical therapy because I saw no reasonable career path that I could enter with just my worthless chemistry degree. I too would be interested to hear the responses.

In the mean type I hope any aspiring Americans scientists read this post and changes their major before they end up wasting a decade of their life. There is no shortage of scientists nor are there lucrative jobs for the vast majority of people who enter the profession. It is all a load of propaganda. It really pains me to see some of the brightest Americans and their families suffer because of the lies of the government and the ACS [American Chemical (conartist) Society].

Old 04-02-2010, 05:30 PM

It's not that I do not want to be a chemist. It is that as Lou says I can't live on $17 an hour with no benefits for much longer and shouldn't have to. I don't know if its outsourcing, h1-b or whatever but companies seem to single out scientists to screw over in terms of pay. I just know I can't change it and need to get out of this bad situation even if it means more college and writing off the past 10 years as a loss.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:43 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Something I have heard is that an MS in "straight-up" science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, as opposed to say Engineering Physics) is frequently viewed as a failed PhD attempt.

That's an anecdote, not data.

Do check out Argonne if you want to stay in Chicago.

If you can stand the time, try to get hired somewhere they will pay for you to finish up with a PhD.

Or, you can pitch the science thing and become an apprentice plumber or pipefitter (only half joking...)

Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Something I have heard is that an MS in "straight-up" science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, as opposed to say Engineering Physics) is frequently viewed as a failed PhD attempt.

That's an anecdote, not data.

Do check out Argonne if you want to stay in Chicago.

If you can stand the time, try to get hired somewhere they will pay for you to finish up with a PhD.

Or, you can pitch the science thing and become an apprentice plumber or pipefitter (only half joking...)
No thanks on the Ph. D. I don't want to spend 3-5 years earning 15k a year just so I can get a 35k post-doc. Definitely not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities