Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,466 times

Advertisements

I’m a new student beginning a n undergraduate degree, and I don’t have enough federal loans money to cover my tuition. I even received a scholarship from my school based on my potential presented to school before hand.
Now that banks cannot lend private student loan money anymore, how am I supposed to pay the rest of my tuition money? not to talk about living expenses?
Can anybody help me with answers?
I feel lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
go to the school's financial aid office and talk to them

Old 04-02-2010, 08:54 PM

207 posts, read 963,526 times
Where are your parents? Can't they help?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
Banks can still do student loans- they just won't have federal backing if you default. They'll probably have stricter requirements and higher interest rates, but private loans are always an option.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,466 times
Thank you! That is essential infomation. But I guess now it will really depend on my credit score, and since It's very low, do you think my fiance will make any difference as a co-signer? His credit score is high.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:59 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Work

Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
Where are your parents? Can't they help?
Many parents won't cover their kids' education fees beyond high school. Can't rely on mommy and daddy forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Work
This.

It's hard to answer your question without knowing how much money you need that loans aren't covering. My answer may change depending on this information. Also, are you attending a private or public university? If it's private, could you attend a (cheaper) public university instead? Could you take entry level courses at a community college and then transfer to a 4-year school when you have money saved up? If you go this route, make sure to meet with advisors from both institutions to be sure that the credits will transfer. Also, if the option is available, could you live with your parents and commute?

Try to take a couple of online classes, they're more flexible than in-person classes. Find a job and then take classes that fit around your work schedule. Get a second job on weekends. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:35 PM

207 posts, read 963,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Many parents won't cover their kids' education fees beyond high school. Can't rely on mommy and daddy forever...

This.

It's hard to answer your question without knowing how much money you need that loans aren't covering. My answer may change depending on this information. Also, are you attending a private or public university? If it's private, could you attend a (cheaper) public university instead? Could you take entry level courses at a community college and then transfer to a 4-year school when you have money saved up? If you go this route, make sure to meet with advisors from both institutions to be sure that the credits will transfer. Also, if the option is available, could you live with your parents and commute?

Try to take a couple of online classes, they're more flexible than in-person classes. Find a job and then take classes that fit around your work schedule. Get a second job on weekends. Good luck!

Again, let's stop with the bitterness towards people whose parents can help them pay for college, a lot of parents do, therefore was a logical question. By insinuating that one is somehow a useless dependent or a lesser person because of their parents ability to help is just transparent jealousy.
Working is an impractical suggestion because it is unlikely that one could make enough money out of high school these days to pay for a fraction of the cost of even a very cheap public college. Most people need help from outside sources, that's why they take out loans.
Online classes are usually not a good idea either, they are not respected by employers and may not be transferrable to real colleges. If you did decide to do that, make sure they're from a brick and mortar college that also offers classes online. Even then it sometimes a gamble.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
Working is an impractical suggestion because it is unlikely that one could make enough money out of high school these days to pay for a fraction of the cost of even a very cheap public college.
Why is it unlikely? Tuition at community colleges is rather cheap and one can save money to attend a public 4-year college for the second half. You can work full-time the whole time. People use to do this all the time before people had a love affair with debt.

The issue here is that people don't want to work, they want to take out ridiculous amounts of debt to avoid work because they think once they get their degree they will get some sort of dream job.

Student loans should be a last resort, not a first response. The OP is already taking out federal loans, but they want more. The demand for free cheese is unlimited.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why is it unlikely? Tuition at community colleges is rather cheap and one can save money to attend a public 4-year college for the second half. You can work full-time the whole time. People use to do this all the time before people had a love affair with debt.

The issue here is that people don't want to work, they want to take out ridiculous amounts of debt to avoid work because they think once they get their degree they will get some sort of dream job.

Student loans should be a last resort, not a first response. The OP is already taking out federal loans, but they want more. The demand for free cheese is unlimited.
And it has nothing to do with the fact tuition increase is 2% OVER inflation each year and has been for over 20 years now.

30 years ago tuition (not room and board) at Princeton was $6300 a year. Now its $36600. Thats a 325% increase even when you take into account inflation.

PRIOR - How to Fix a Broken System: Funding Public Higher Education and Making It More Productive (http://www.princeton.edu/prior/events/conferences/how-to-fix-a-broken-syste/ - broken link)

THE PRINCETON SPECTATOR (http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:hP1zpjPBZZgJ:www.princeton.edu/~spectatr/vol2/march97/tuition.htm+tuition+princeton+1980&cd=1&hl=en&ct=c lnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities