Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 PM

125 posts, read 1,039,146 times

Advertisements

I dont know if I should go to GRAD school or not because of possible student loan DEBT.

I am lucky that I dont have any student loan debt from undergrad and I am hesitant to take on anywhere from $20-$80k in student loan debt.

After I graduate the average salary is $75K starting and pecks at about $120k for the profession.

Think it is worth it? If I try and work my way up in my current field, it will take me at least 5 years to make $75k

If I can get into the only state school then I dont mind the $20k price tag BUT, that program is really competitive and all the other private schools will cost at least $80 total.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 PM

191 posts, read 693,089 times
Some employers will help pay for grad school. Not as likely right now, but it happens.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang View Post
Some employers will help pay for grad school. Not as likely right now, but it happens.
Current company wont because grad school for me will be a career change.
Plus most companies will only pay for grad school while you are working with them. So that would mean a full time job PLUS grad school at night/ weekends.
I want to enjoy me youth..no thanks.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM

165 posts, read 548,539 times
If you don't WANT to go to grad school, I say you shouldn't go. It depends on your field, of course, but grad school is hard. If you don't love what you're doing, you're going to be miserable.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM

any realistic responses from adults you see school as a means to a better career and roi?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
Well, I guess that depends on how certain you feel your job prospects after grad school are. 20k in debt seems reasonable. 80k does not.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Well, what are you going for?

19th Century British Lit? Only if you're going for fun.

Information Systems? Pretty decent bet if you're into it.

Some degrees have a much better financial return, but not all of them. Your question is way too vague to give a decent answer to.

It's probably too late for you to apply this year anyway Most schools have their deadlines in January. Take a few months to think about it.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 PM

165 posts, read 548,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
any realistic responses from adults you see school as a means to a better career and roi?
As an adult who is not only in grad school, but gave you a realistic response, I think the issue completely depends on what you're going for.

I am a history grad student. I plan on teaching history. Therefore, to teach history on the college level, I MUST go to grad school.

If you want to work in a bank (which I have done) you probably don't NEED to go to grad school. Would an MBA help? Yes. Is it essential? Probably not.

Maybe if we knew what you were thinking about going for, that would assist in people replying to you.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:43 AM

3,784 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
I dont know if I should go to GRAD school or not because of possible student loan DEBT.

I am lucky that I dont have any student loan debt from undergrad and I am hesitant to take on anywhere from $20-$80k in student loan debt.

After I graduate the average salary is $75K starting and pecks at about $120k for the profession.

Think it is worth it? If I try and work my way up in my current field, it will take me at least 5 years to make $75k

If I can get into the only state school then I dont mind the $20k price tag BUT, that program is really competitive and all the other private schools will cost at least $80 total.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
I talked to your Dad. He said, "Take the job; forget grad school." Issue settled.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:15 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,709 times
Will the GS be in your chosen career field? If so, I would go for it. Graduate degrees pay off later in life when your approaching those mgt positions. At your current state, you would not see that, but in some years a mgt position will come open and then your graduate degree helps.

One more point, I would complete the school work now compared to waiting. For me, it was all about momentum so I completed all of my school work in consecutive years with no breaks. If your young, have the time, just do it now because when your older with kids, its ALOT tougher.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities