Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:21 AM

207 posts, read 961,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
someone said that to me the other day. i told him he's full of it.

look at the numbers. 28 percent of americans have a bachelors degree +

a bachelors will still get it done if you arnt wasting your time with a worthless degree like womens studies.

this is what im thinking down the road, next 20 years job wise.

think doing something global, say a global studies, a international relations type program where you pick up a language and pair it with some math or business is going to be valuable.

engineering, computer sciences will remain valuable.

dont waste time with crap like art studies, media studies.

people assume just because they get a bachelors they should have employers waiting for them, not true.

Why don't you try to get a job without a Bachelor's degree and then we can have this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
LVN and RN are also being "eaten away". Plus you need to have an excellent understanding of biology, math, and science technicalities to do well in nursing school.
not excellent understanding, working knowledge with a tutor. tons of former ghetto girls who are now nurses at VA they shine bright and clean and beautiful, you can do it too. move on up,
nursing has not had the setbacks of other professions, although all professions have been affected. it is still the biggest bang for the buck, entirely jr college or military with high salaries and benefits.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,798,865 times
Work experience and good references makes up for the lack of eduction in some places of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
Why don't you try to get a job without a Bachelor's degree and then we can have this discussion.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That number is skewed because of the number of people over 50 or so that don't have a BA. Try finding numbers for people under 50 and I would be that it is significantly higher. Regardless of what other people have these days, the vast majority of employers won't even look at you if you don't have a post-secondary degree of some kind.
Not true...

Its not significantly higher for the under 50 crowd...it isn't any higher...it may in fact be LESS...

http://www.census.gov/population/soc.../Table1-01.xls

I did the calculations myself, but if you want to check the percentage of Americans, both sexes, all races in the age range 18-50 that have attained at LEAST a Bachelor's it comes out to roughly 22%!!

The facts don't support your position....

The percentage of folks in this country with a Bachelor's Degree or higher is still a decided minority....

So if the "vast majority of employers" won't even look at someone without a degree....they are only looking at less than a third of the population.....

Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM

207 posts, read 961,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

So if the "vast majority of employers" won't even look at someone without a degree....they are only looking at less than a third of the population.....
Exactly, and while I don't have specific statistics to back this up, I don't feel it would be outrageous to say that less than a third of the population has a decent job because of this fact. Less than a third of the population are qualified for good jobs. Most people are working in very low-paying, no-prestige jobs and are barely making ends meet. The fact is that those who do have good positions got them back when having a Bachelor's degree wasn't a requirement, say 20 or 30 years ago. They were able to work their way up because of when they got their job but nowadays it's next to impossible to get your foot in the door without at least a Bachelor's. Again, I feel like this is almost a meaningless discussion because most people posting on here have Bachelor's degrees and are just speculating about something they don't have experience with, and of course I am including myself in that. If anyone on here has a job or is trying to get one with only a high school degree then please speak up, because we need your opinion most of all.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 23,549 times
Technically a bachelors degree is the new high school diploma. Look at how many jobs now require a college degree that did not use to. Also with the huge increase in numbers in people getting bachleors degrees its been waterd down to the new high school diploma the bare minimum for a lot of white collar careers. However not everyone wants to sit in an office there are still careers that pay good money that dont need a fancy 4 year degree. Look at the techncial careers Hvac(Heating and air), plumbing,electrician automotive, dental hygiene, sonography, physical therapy assitant, radiologist. There are good 2 year programs at technicial colleges that award 2 year technicial degrees for these careers and the programs are desinged to give you various certfications neede for the career fields. The careers i just mentioned are among the fastest growing careers becasue there is a huge shortage of people that have these skills and they pay good

Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,073,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not true...

Its not significantly higher for the under 50 crowd...it isn't any higher...it may in fact be LESS...

http://www.census.gov/population/soc.../Table1-01.xls

I did the calculations myself, but if you want to check the percentage of Americans, both sexes, all races in the age range 18-50 that have attained at LEAST a Bachelor's it comes out to roughly 22%!!

The facts don't support your position....

The percentage of folks in this country with a Bachelor's Degree or higher is still a decided minority....

Not many 18 year olds will have a bachelors since most 18 year olds aren't even out of high school. How about if you recalculate using 24-50?

Look at a job search website for jobs that pay average in your area and tell me how many of the want a minimum of a BA.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,547,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I will chime in to say it is not a mountain of "useless prerequisites."

I like to deal with an R.N. who hasn't dodged education.
how does a nurse that's taken Philosophy 101, American Literature, or Macro economics help her to empty a bedpan, move a patient, distribute meds, or change an IV?

I know many nurses want the BSN to be the std. for their profession, hoping it'll lead to more respect, but the truth is 2 year tech school nurses and 4 year bachelor nurses take the same licensing exam for a reason.

america needs to move even closer to the type of specific education nurses get, not away from it. Education is big business and there are downright unthruths regarding future employment prospects and career fields. Schools have sold the liberal arts "whole, rounded, educated" business for too long and people are finally figuring it out.

The sad truth is if you took a camera crew to any major city in america and asked college graduates topical questions on world affairs, our government, geography, history, or literature it'd look more like an episode of JayWalking than Jeopardy.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,017,427 times
I think it depends on where you live. When I was NJ, people with BAs were a dime a dozen. Competition for jobs was fierce. Where I live now, it's a rarity. Job openings are far less common, but when there is one, I am generally one of few or no qualified applicants.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,073,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I think it depends on where you live. When I was NJ, people with BAs were a dime a dozen. Competition for jobs was fierce. Where I live now, it's a rarity. Job openings are far less common, but when there is one, I am generally one of few or no qualified applicants.
This is also true. Around here about 59% of the 20+ year olds have a BA at least, higher if you only count those under 65 but then you forget about places where education isn't as important to the general population to average things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities