Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

depends if you fake it or not. body building 101, italian 101, ethnic studies
no problem
but if you actually take on the core curriculums you'll be flunking in a jiffy.
may i suggest instead of an ego fix with a huge student loan, consider this
think trade think jr college think debt free ed, think VE my favorite pick RN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
depends if you fake it or not. body building 101, italian 101, ethnic studies
no problem
but if you actually take on the core curriculums you'll be flunking in a jiffy.
may i suggest instead of an ego fix with a huge student loan, consider this
think trade think jr college think debt free ed, think VE my favorite pick RN
You repeat this line all the time on this forum almost verbatim as if it's the next golden key to happiness. The world only needs so many RNs.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
We also need painters and bag-pipe players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
You repeat this line all the time on this forum almost verbatim as if it's the next golden key to happiness. The world only needs so many RNs.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:00 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I found HS to be more strenuous that college. In high school you need to take classes in each subject and feel pressure to do well in everything to keep up your GPA. I vividly remember taking honors chem, which was horrible for my non-science mind, while also taking a bunch of AP classes and playing sports and being in clubs. It just seemed never ending and I hated taking all of these classes that didn't interest me. I remember lots of long nights of studying, after waking up at 5:30 to get ready for school and not coming home until 6:30 or 7pm after a game.

In college, you get to actually pick the classes you want to take. Knowing full well that science is not my strong point, I was directed towards easier science classes to fulfill my credits. I was able to then take some interesting classes in my major (or interesting gen eds, for that matter). Course work was never too difficult, IMO. I was involved with a few clubs and a sorority (and went to the gym religiously) but life never seemed as unmanageable as it did in high school. On some days, I would only have 2 hrs of class, versus the long school day I faced in HS. As long as you can manage your extra curriculars, you should be fine.

That's just me though maybe?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I think you went to a good college. You can't really learn the subject if the course work is strenuous. It's all about middle ground and room for growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I found HS to be more strenuous that college. In high school you need to take classes in each subject and feel pressure to do well in everything to keep up your GPA. I vividly remember taking honors chem, which was horrible for my non-science mind, while also taking a bunch of AP classes and playing sports and being in clubs. It just seemed never ending and I hated taking all of these classes that didn't interest me. I remember lots of long nights of studying, after waking up at 5:30 to get ready for school and not coming home until 6:30 or 7pm after a game.

In college, you get to actually pick the classes you want to take. Knowing full well that science is not my strong point, I was directed towards easier science classes to fulfill my credits. I was able to then take some interesting classes in my major (or interesting gen eds, for that matter). Course work was never too difficult, IMO. I was involved with a few clubs and a sorority (and went to the gym religiously) but life never seemed as unmanageable as it did in high school. On some days, I would only have 2 hrs of class, versus the long school day I faced in HS. As long as you can manage your extra curriculars, you should be fine.

That's just me though maybe?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
thanks everyone! lot of good information to consider

Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
it depends on what type of high school you went to, or what classes you were taking... I started taking AP classes in 10th grade at mine, while other people just took normal, or advanced... The AP classes in high school were HARDER than similar fresh/sophomore classes at University in my opinion...The 300/400 level classes were harder...specifically much more reading required.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I find it much harder. Granted, my college is notoriously tough with a large work load and no grade inflation. I've worked my tush off for my 3.3 where I know had I gone elsewhere I would be graduating magna cumlaude.

In high school, I took 6 APs and got 4s or 5s on all but AP Spanish (because we took it with native speakers which made the curve very much against the Spanish-learner's favor) without feeling like my workload was too much. From day one at my college, I've felt overwhelmed.

Part of it is that while you have less class time, you have a whole heck of a lot more work outside of class. Plus, personally, I have more responsibilities outside of just class work.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I find it much harder. Granted, my college is notoriously tough with a large work load and no grade inflation. I've worked my tush off for my 3.3 where I know had I gone elsewhere I would be graduating magna cumlaude.

In high school, I took 6 APs and got 4s or 5s on all but AP Spanish (because we took it with native speakers which made the curve very much against the Spanish-learner's favor) without feeling like my workload was too much. From day one at my college, I've felt overwhelmed.

Part of it is that while you have less class time, you have a whole heck of a lot more work outside of class. Plus, personally, I have more responsibilities outside of just class work.
I haven't really noticed that in college (perhaps because I am a freshman). Maybe college has slightly more work outside the classroom than high school. But the difference is I have a lot more time to get it done. I didn't always do the reading for my classes in high school simply because we spent so much time in the classroom and I didn't want to spend much time outside the classroom on homework. But in college I find that normally I have plenty of time to get the work done.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I haven't really noticed that in college (perhaps because I am a freshman). Maybe college has slightly more work outside the classroom than high school. But the difference is I have a lot more time to get it done. I didn't always do the reading for my classes in high school simply because we spent so much time in the classroom and I didn't want to spend much time outside the classroom on homework. But in college I find that normally I have plenty of time to get the work done.
I also work part time, last semester interned part time, and am commencing in a full time job search on top of 6 classes. I put a minimum of 3 hours of work/reading/problem sets into every 1 hour of class. If I did nothing outside of class, then I would be fine. Since freshman year, I have worked and been very active in community and school services and leadership roles on campus, which makes everything tight. I had to drop all extracurriculars this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities