Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Dominique G. Homberger won't apologize for setting high expectations for her students. The biology professor at Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge gives brief quizzes at the beginning of every class, to assure attendance and to make sure students are doing the reading.

LSU removes tough professor, raises students' grades - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Gee, wish I could have gone complain about the testing so I could get a nasty teacher replaced. Sounds like someone in the class is closely related to someone with money and power.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 AM

165 posts, read 548,290 times
She didn't even sound nasty, just hard.

Score one for dumb people.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
Thats called LEARNING

And colleges men from LSU
Went in dumb. Come out dumb too
Hustlin' 'round Atlanta in their alligator shoes
Gettin' drunk every weekend at the barbecues

CHORUS
We're rednecks, rednecks
And we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground
We're rednecks, we're rednecks

Old 04-16-2010, 09:09 AM

207 posts, read 963,526 times
Lol this is just terrible, maybe the school didn't realize how embarrassing this would look for them. Then again, maybe they don't care because LSU isn't known for being a good school academically. They care about sports, not learning, and they're not apologizing for it. They're just be realistic and honest about what their values are and students who choose to go there can't say they didn't know that's what things were like. So glad I never considered a place like that.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
geez, she didn't sound that bad. I remember a class where we had daily quizzes that were NOT multiple choice, but open ended essay questions. hell, I go to an art school w/ an open admission policy and a tiny science department and have taken science courses just as hard as this one (again, no multiple choice quizzes, or at least a combo of multiple choice and open ended questions). I'm not understanding the issues here, unless the kids coming into this intro class are woefully unprepared for college level work. I bet there are people at more rigorous colleges laughing about this. this is a professor that would probably do fine at another college

in college, the standards shouldn't be lowered to suit the lowest denominator. if the class is too hard for you, drop it, and/or reconsider whether you're really ready to tackle college level work. there's enough of this "catering to the idiots" (sorry to be so blunt) mentality going on in high school already

Last edited by eevee; 04-16-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Yeah, I've seen many a professor get a bad rating on Rate My Professor because they didn't give out a study guide prior to the exams.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
apparently, according to the article, some of the complaints were about the topic of evolution coming up a lot. seriously? I know this is the Bible Belt and all, but do people think a biology class taught at a state university is going to gloss over evolution and start teaching about creationism? or are these kids coming from high schools where this was already the case?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Thats called LEARNING

And colleges men from LSU
Went in dumb. Come out dumb too
Hustlin' 'round Atlanta in their alligator shoes
Gettin' drunk every weekend at the barbecues

CHORUS
We're rednecks, rednecks
And we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground
We're rednecks, we're rednecks

lol!

i was just about to post that.

went in dumb, come out dumb too.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:27 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
This seems like a serious violation of academic freedom.

On the other hand, do you think an institution can legitimately tell its faculty that they have an expectation for how the grades in the class will come out? I know she claims that grades are on the way up, but is it acceptable for 90% of the students in a class to fail it, or to get no better than a D?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities