Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Hey people,
At the ripe old age of 24 Ive decided that I will want to learn Earth science and maybe look at planetary science or geology as a future prospect.
I dont want a lot of money and would be happy doing what I love.
I also love nature and have been on a few field assignment trips back in the day
I still have a passion of making films but I guess its a really tough road.
I dig astronomy(I even bought binoculars and telescope),paleontology and forensics

I look at the catalogue of the community colleges in the US and I am so happy to see the variety of choices they have.The tuition is also reasonable however there is this issue of age.

I am 24 years old....7 years since graduating high school.My friend said it will look really weird sitting with 18 year olds in a classroom.I wont bother with the dorm-party scene because its only logical I am too old for that but actual college-I wanna try to see a new future.

Do you feel 24 is too old to start afresh in bachelors or associates?
Not at all. I graduated with BS 11 years ago, when I was 23. Now at 34, I'm planning on going back. Matter of fact, 24 sounds like it's still very, very young to me You might be surprised, but there is a wide variety of ages in college.

Trust me, the sooner you do it, the easier it will be. Waiting will do yourself no favors. Do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Hey people,
At the ripe old age of 24 Ive decided that I will want to learn Earth science and maybe look at planetary science or geology as a future prospect.
I dont want a lot of money and would be happy doing what I love.
I also love nature and have been on a few field assignment trips back in the day
I still have a passion of making films but I guess its a really tough road.
I dig astronomy(I even bought binoculars and telescope),paleontology and forensics

I look at the catalogue of the community colleges in the US and I am so happy to see the variety of choices they have.The tuition is also reasonable however there is this issue of age.

I am 24 years old....7 years since graduating high school.My friend said it will look really weird sitting with 18 year olds in a classroom.I wont bother with the dorm-party scene because its only logical I am too old for that but actual college-I wanna try to see a new future.

Do you feel 24 is too old to start afresh in bachelors or associates?
Hopefully this thread is 5 pages of people telling you this very thing

It is more embarrassing to NEVER go

99-Year-Old Ghanaian Man Graduates College - BV Black Spin

Quote:
"Education has no end," Yiadom told CNN. "As far as your brain can work alright, your eyes can see alright, and your ears can hear alright, if you go to school you can learn."

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You're just being silly. You're going to be a couple of years older than most of the people in you class. So what? I finished my degree a few months shy of my 40th birthday.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Now is the time of year where I get a lot of facebook updates and comments IRL about people who are 'soooo happy' to be taking their LAST test and that they NEVER have to go to school again.

I honestly don't understand those people. I can't imagine a time where I wouldn't want to go to school and learn something new. Currently, I'm going back again to get an AS in Physic (it will be my third associates degree), then I'll be going to get a BS in Aviation Maintenance. Why? Because I can

My friends think I'm crazy because at age 26, I'm purposely choosing to go back and study physics. I'v never thought I was 'too old' to learn something new.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
Quote:
This thread has been enlightening and I cannot thank all of you enough.I would like to add a few points on how I see everything around me.

I graduated high school in 2003 and since then Ive had a pretty rough ride.I went into business school and left it,I did get a BA in history but that was more interest than for practical reasons and this is where everything is ****ed up.
You ask me if I am embarrassed about the age?

No,I am not embarrassed because of the age but I am embarrassed because I still have no clue about what "job" would I want to do for the rest of my life!
All throughout school and college,I was surrounded by people who said they wanted to be this or that but I was clueless.....I still am.

See,my problem is why cannot we graduate in something we love and make money?
When I was in tradition college,I still remember everyone going for Business or Engineering just because they were high payoff degrees.Heck a few of my doctor friends are in it because of the money and prestige rather than an actual desire to help someone and I was lost.

In 2007 I had applied for an AA degree in philosophy because I would want to
learn more about the way we perceive existence and knowledge.It would be a 2 year degree.I was bombarded by complaints from friends to family asking me to think again because "what jobs would you get" with that piece of paper!

My family told me to go and see a psychiatrist because this was plain wrong-to not have a plan charted out and my dad showed me some figures and charts on how many liberal arts majors are jobless

Is this life?
All about making money,being part of a rat race and having a lamborghini?
Because college and education has become exactly that-A tool.A scheme to make you rich.and honestly why should I with a piece of paper earn more than a manual labourer who has been on field for the last 6 years?

Anyways there is some good in that I know my financial standings and I will not get into something like marriage or kids until I am very well settled.I want to be responsible for my own self.I do have an interest in forensics.I am a member of the AAFS and I would like to get a associates and maybe intern somewhere to get a good grip.After that as and when required shall I go for my bachelors-A plan

Oh,Btw I am from India,not an American but I like your nation.I believe that to fully understand a culture you must fully immerse yourself in it and Ive always done so.
Also please forgive my English as its not my first language but I try and learn(thats the least I can do)

Sometimes it's better to go, even without a firm plan. I hear what you are saying. I'm in my 40's, and have been going part-time at a local community college for 2 years now. One of the reasons I didn't go when I was younger is I didn't have this big plan, and couldn't figure out what I wanted to do, so did nothing. After taking some of the classes I've taken recently I find I'm learning more about myself, and that some things I thought I'd hate are actually interesting. So don't make the same mistake I did. I could have done this years ago, and not been working instead in an industry for 25 years that really doesn't mesh with my interests. And a degree of any type would have helped me in my experiences. By the way, forensics sounds very interesting.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Now is the time of year where I get a lot of facebook updates and comments IRL about people who are 'soooo happy' to be taking their LAST test and that they NEVER have to go to school again.

I honestly don't understand those people. I can't imagine a time where I wouldn't want to go to school and learn something new. Currently, I'm going back again to get an AS in Physic (it will be my third associates degree), then I'll be going to get a BS in Aviation Maintenance. Why? Because I can

My friends think I'm crazy because at age 26, I'm purposely choosing to go back and study physics. I'v never thought I was 'too old' to learn something new.
I like learning new things too. I always tell my daughter if I win the lottery I'll keep going to school just for fun. So many subjects, so little time........................ Guess that's another reason I couldn't pick just one. LOL.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM

122 posts, read 365,638 times
NO NO NO IT'S NEVER TOO LATE and you are never too old to return for a higher education. Your mind will love you for it. Especially in this economy people are returning to school to finish their education later in life. I am 36 with 2 boys and a husband and have returned to complete by bachelor's degree. People these days vary in age range at colleges and universities, don't sweat it just relax and you will do great. Your friends should be positive, age is not a barrier to your education. Actually, you will probably be more mature and able to learn better since you have a few years on you than your classmates.

have fun and just go for it!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Granted it was 35 years ago, but I went to college with bunches of Veterans. Most of them were 5-10 years older than I was. They'd been to Vietnam. Many were married and had children. And they sure knew more about the world than I did at 18 and straight out of high school.

I will always be grateful that there were so many "older" guys in my classes. A lot of them knew they would only be in college for two years and they raised the bar for the rest of us. I worked my butt off just to keep up with them.

p.s. Many of these guys had been wounded in Vietnam and were disabled. We had guys who were paralyzed and guys with no legs. They changed my outlook on a whole lot of things.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
. . . I am embarrassed because I still have no clue about what "job" would I want to do for the rest of my life!
All throughout school and college,I was surrounded by people who said they wanted to be this or that but I was clueless.....I still am.
If it makes you feel any better, I bet less than half of the people who said "I want to be X" actually went on to become X.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,254 times
You're 24, that is not to old to start college. I began college right out of the military (age 23) and I was fine. If you are really that worried, goto a college with a big graduate school. This will mean that there will be many older students there as well.

Remember, one thing you don't want is to be scared away from a good education because you're worried how socially acceptable it is. Go to school now, kick its ass, and make a better life for yourself.

In four years you will either have a degree or be back on this forum asking if it socially acceptable to start college at 28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities