Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:30 PM

571 posts, read 940,322 times

Advertisements

I am a C Math student, and the only sciences I can do are Biology-related (But that's a bit of a stretch because my teacher is the type who grades us moreso on effort than actual tests). So, what should someone like me get into if not math or science? Journalism is suffering and there are 10 resumes a week sent to the newspaper at my hometown, which has a population of about 45,000. Am I doomed to starve/flip burgers? :/

I mean, I have about a 3.2 overall GPA & 24 ACT so I'm not stupid, and I honestly do not think I deserve to work at McDonalds with the pothead gangster dropouts, or kids that will be half my age by the time I graduate from college.

I am thinking of going into Secondary English Education, or Public Relations/Communications, but is that about all there is for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,917,449 times
Do you have parents? If so, talk to them about it.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Do you have parents? If so, talk to them about it.
I have- they're both engineers, & gave a vague "we support you no matter what you decide to do" or "You still have a few years or so, plenty of kids your age are undecided". They're still caught up on why I don't "get" math or science like they do.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,168,589 times
Get the hell out of northeastern Ohio.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Get the hell out of northeastern Ohio.
If I didn't have family & friends here, I might. I do like Cleveland in general, it's just suffering a bit.

just out of polite curiosity... what does this have to do with the topic? Lol.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM

44,916 posts, read 59,916,725 times
People have certain skills/aptitudes many times related to brain dominance. You sound right brained so Math/linear/logic things are going to be relatively more difficult for you. Neither my wife nor I are very Math oriented (although I was able to do enough to squeak by in aerodynamics classes in OCS) but our oldest son did Calc BC in high school is in engineering now.
My advice is to not try to fit a square peg into a round hole and train in your strengths. Might you have to eventually move? Maybe.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,168,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
If I didn't have family & friends here, I might. I do like Cleveland in general, it's just suffering a bit.

just out of polite curiosity... what does this have to do with the topic? Lol.
Sorry...I'm from just down the road from you in northwestern PA so I know what a hole that part of the world is.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,131,373 times
Have you considered a business degree? There is math but it is more accounting and statistics based. Maybe that is more your cup of tea

Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Sorry...I'm from just down the road from you in northwestern PA so I know what a hole that part of the world is.
Oh, I do agree with you. It is very "blah" here and everyone in Northeast Ohio is famous for their "eh, whatever" attitude which hasn't helped. I don't love it, but I always try to look on the bright side. Nobody really LOVES NE Ohio, they're born here & don't want to leave their family.

& Yeah, I've been told that I might be better at money-oriented things. I've also considered psychology as I have an A in it, but I'm worried about getting "burned out" due to 7 or more years of schooling.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,367,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Have you considered a business degree? There is math but it is more accounting and statistics based. Maybe that is more your cup of tea
Agreed. I was also a straight-C math student in high school, but statistics wasn't too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities