Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times

Advertisements

Arguably irresponsible for any parents to have more kids than they have time&money to properly raise and educate

Kids are discretionary not necessities

And up to both parents and kids to figure out a career path early in life...and try to accomplish a college education as efficiently as possible (credits in HS to finish college in 2-3yrs, a major/GPA relevant to prospective employers, etc)

Prob <5% of kids at even Stanford/Harvard are trust fund kids who have no need to find a job; amazing how many allegedly middle-income parents and kids behave as if they had ample trust funds as they plan/pursue education and career paths...most prob spend more time planning vacations or playing fantasy football...all free lifestyle choices ultimately reflected in any family's economic mobility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
It seems to me that students who get bad grades because they are lazy or party too much do so because that is in their personality. I know good students and bad students on both sides of this argument. I do know one guy who inherited a few million that went to college and just didn't bother to any homework, let alone show up for class. He eventually dropped out, but realistically a college degree is worthless to this guy as he is pretty much set for life. That may be an extreme example, but not too far off with some legacies who are only in college for the prestige and tradition above anything else.

Now, as a student who works through college, I can speak on a few things. Yes, some students in my position carry resentment that other students are getting a 'free ride.' Some of that resentment comes from feelings of not being born 'lucky' enough to have parents who could afford such a luxury. Others it stems from self-pity because they didn't receive high enough grades in high school to earn scholarships for what-ever reason (and this is usually followed by some sort of sob story excuse). While not a healthy frame of mind to be in, is it wrong? There is a lot of emphasis in this country placed on wealth and material possessions. So of course the Have-Nots are going to feel some resentment towards the Haves. That is just how our society is -in, and out of college.

There is also something else. Students who need to work their way through college are in a different situation than those who are getting the 'free ride.' Generally, they made the decision to be there, and need to go above and beyond to make it happen. There is a certain level of accomplishment at the end of the day when you work your way through college knowing full well that you did it all yourself, that you alone made it happen. Does that make this type of student a better person or above anyone else? No, not at all. But this feeling of accomplishment leads to a type of pride that those who do not have to work while in college will never understand. Maybe later in life they will, but I am only focusing on the college years here.

Back to parents paying for college. Reading some of these posts gives me the feeling that this idea that parents should pay for their kids college -if at least partially- postpone vacations, sacrifice, save-up, etc. is leading to the notion that college is somehow now a birthright. At times it seems as if I was in the last year-class of graduating high school seniors to whom college was viewed as an option and not a means to an end.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:27 AM

68 posts, read 205,971 times
My parents didn't save for me and that's how I feel every family should be. Parents should let their kids be responsible for education or any other path after high school. Not every child wants to go to college, but I imagine that if their parents have saved they feel obliged. It taught me to treasure my education and strive to do the best. I also felt very free to choose my own way since no one else but me was involved financially.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 PM

146 posts, read 313,643 times
We plan on fully playing for our children's college education.

We feel it's our responsibility as parents to get our kids through college. We don't feel that our responsibility as parents stops once they turn 18, and then they're out the door. Just because kids turn 18 and legally become adults, it doesn't mean that they're ready to face the world, and to struggle left and right only so they can learn to be responsible adults. That teaching should start at home and at an early age. Same with saving for the education. It should be planned and executed as soon as the child is born. Plus, we don't want our children to start their adult lives in debt, and be financially behind for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities