Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 62,311 times

Advertisements

I took a one credit class last semester (Freshman Orientation) and did not put much effort into it because I was determined to get good grades in the courses that applied to my major.

I did not get a good grade in the course (ok I won't lie..I failed it), but I am not sure if it would make sense to re-take it, because it was only a one credit class-it didn't effect my GPA very much- and it doesn't really have anything to do with what I want to do. Also, I'm not even a Freshman anymore.

My GPA is still pretty high even with that one F, but do jobs and grad schools look at each individual grade or do they look at your GPA? Do they look at the classes that only apply to your major?

I was told that one credit courses don't matter that much, but I'm not sure if that just means it will not hurt my GPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
Few jobs request copies of your transcript, and even then, they are usually asking for it just to verify the accuracy of the degree obtained and the GPA.

They do however look at both overall GPA and major GPA, so don't blow off classes just because they aren't required by your degree.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,345,557 times
Sounds like a class that would be required for graduation. I wouldn't blow it off without finding out if that's the case.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM

571 posts, read 1,298,721 times
A one credit course will not weigh heavily on your GPA, but it may jump out at someone viewing your transcript. I was just viewing some of my students' transcripts. A few of them just failed "Walking." Our university has a PE requirement, and "Walking" is one of the many one credit courses from which students may choose. Here is an example of a one credit course that jumps out. I mean, how do you fail a course in walking? That just looks bad!

I agree with a previous post that this course you mention sounds like a course that may be required. I remember a similar course when I was a freshman, and I'm sure I scoffed at it. Now that I teach college, I am glad that courses like this exist. My number one concern for my students is that the overwhelming majority of them are not ready for college and/or they still need a little extra guidance and encouragement that first year. They need help managing their time, developing good study habits, learning to use the various resources on campus, etc. Many of them do not have what I would consider a good working knowledge of basic technology. When I assign simple projects that involve something easy like email attachments, some of my students freak out. I assume these things are covered in a "Freshman Seminar" type course.

And a little unsolicited advice: Be careful not to label which classes you deem important and which you don't. While you may have to take some classes that you don't like or that you don't think are valuable, that's part of the degree. You may find that you actually enjoy and learn some great stuff in some of these classes. I sure did!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM

674 posts, read 1,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
I mean, how do you fail a course in walking? That just looks bad!
I'd say the same thing about Freshman Orientation. I was a TA (as in, co-taught with a university staff member) for the Freshman Orientation class at my large university. Basically the only way you could fail was if you didn't show up. If I recall correctly, it was a Pass/Fail course.

I think an "F" in ANY course on your transcript would jump out and really cause the person looking at a transcript (grad school, employer, whomever) to second guess you. Even moreso when it's an easy gimmee class like Freshman Orientation.

And ditto what others have said, at a lot of universities it is a required course.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 62,311 times
It is actually not required by the university, but you guys are definitely right an F in any class does look bad on a transcript. It definitely wasn't pass/fail, though. I'd say I had more work in this class than was really necessary. However, I still know this isn't an excuse for not doing well. Let's hope they let me retake it as a sophomore..

Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,146,515 times
Freshman Orientation is a course that tells freshmen what to expect from college, how to study, how to make the transition from high school to college, and other do's and don'ts. It is pointless to (re)take the course if you have already completed one year of college. Generally, it is required at most universities, however I am not sure if actually passing the course is required. If you do well in your other courses and manage to stay off probation or suspension, the F in this course should become a non-issue.

Now, about that F: an F in a one credit course is not going to adversely affect your GPA whether it was Pass/Fail or by letter grade. Yes, an F will stand out on your transcript, but an F in Freshmen Orientation/Seminar is not going to mean much to grad school admissions, and, you can always explain (truthfully) why you received that F when you are applying to grad school or while doing your grad school interview (more than likely, you will be asked why you got the F, let alone an F in what should be the easiest college course you will ever take).

Grad schools do take your entire GPA into consideration, but they highly focus on the GPA generated from courses related to the subject you want to study (in grad school). They will put more weight on your upper level courses (courses taken in junior and senior year). Grad school admissions is slightly different than undergrad admissions. College admissions look at SAT/ACT scores, GPA, and rigor of courses taken to help determine how well you will do at the college level overall.

Undergrads generally undergo a more survey type of education, i.e., a biology major will take a wide range of biology courses covering many topics in the field (ecology, evolution, cellular, microbiology, marine algae, botany, A&P, physiology, etc., etc.) and a slew of other courses such as chemistry, physics, and higher levels of math (depending on school). Let's say that you want to continue to study biology at the grad school level, well now your biology major becomes more focused towards one subject like just microbiology or ecology or cellular what-ever. Now, I say that to point out that at the grad school level, they are mostly going to be concerned with how well prepared you are to study microbiology, or ecology, etc. at the grad school level, and as such are only going to focus on the courses directly related to that subject (I should also point out that you should do well in your English courses, too).

So, that was a long-winded way of saying that failing Freshman Orientation is not going matter in grad school admissions (or failing Walking, or Basket-weaving, or Art 101, or any course that is not directly related). Keep in mind that they will ask why you failed the course, though.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,938,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilygirl36 View Post
I took a one credit class last semester (Freshman Orientation) and did not put much effort into it because I was determined to get good grades in the courses that applied to my major.

I did not get a good grade in the course (ok I won't lie..I failed it), but I am not sure if it would make sense to re-take it, because it was only a one credit class-it didn't effect my GPA very much- and it doesn't really have anything to do with what I want to do. Also, I'm not even a Freshman anymore.

My GPA is still pretty high even with that one F, but do jobs and grad schools look at each individual grade or do they look at your GPA? Do they look at the classes that only apply to your major?

I was told that one credit courses don't matter that much, but I'm not sure if that just means it will not hurt my GPA.
I would talk to your advisor/counselor about your options. You could either keep the F on your transcript, retake the course to improve your grade or (if the option is available) do academic renewal which could alleviate the substandard grade from your transcript if you meet your school's requirement. Best of luck.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,989,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilygirl36 View Post
Usually GPA is used to initially sort applications, the transcripts will be looked at in detail if you get into the "Maybe" pile. Not all employers look at transcripts.

A F never looks good, what after all does it say about you?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
If I came across your transcript in a job interview position that F in what to me would be an easy A course would tell me you won't put the effort into the menial tasks associated with every job and therefore I would put you in the no pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities