Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:52 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,638,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
A computer science degree is also pretty worthless ...
CS is one of the best degrees to have in this day and age, so you're obviously doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:52 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,753,675 times
I wish I would have known then that a BS in mathematics is only a stepping stone and cannot be used by itself - of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

I know someone with two college degrees -- math and biology -- and she works in retail/inventory, scanning clothes at slutty teenage girl stores at the mall in the midde of the night. Seriously, the degrees are that worthless.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 PM

77,855 posts, read 60,016,891 times
I have a BS in math and make 6-figs. Not sure what to add to your emo-fest but oh welll.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I wish I would have known then that a BS in mathematics is only a stepping stone and cannot be used by itself - of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

I know someone with two college degrees -- math and biology -- and she works in retail/inventory, scanning clothes at slutty teenage girl stores at the mall in the midde of the night. Seriously, the degrees are that worthless.
Did you guys do any career research at all? Are you doing some now? Why not look into taking some of those actuary tests? Why not look into how much you can make with that? You have the internet --do you have any idea what life was like before that? You had to go to the library. Or, pick mathguy's brain--he's obviously doing something right.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have a BS in math and make 6-figs. Not sure what to add to your emo-fest but oh welll.
May I ask what you do for a living?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Did you guys do any career research at all? Are you doing some now? Why not look into taking some of those actuary tests? Why not look into how much you can make with that? You have the internet --do you have any idea what life was like before that? You had to go to the library. Or, pick mathguy's brain--he's obviously doing something right.
I did take actuarial exams. I didn't finish, because I can't study and work full-time simultaneously. I took the exams while I was a university student.

With some exams passed, getting a job was pretty easy, but not anymore. The few job openings are in healthcare and require healthcare experience, which I don't have.

While it's true that for some people, their employer pays the exam fees and gives time off to study, it's pretty rare. I've been looking for a job in the study program for 14 years and have yet to even interview.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,171,479 times
My interest and incredulity are always piqued with threads like this. I see people with bachelor's degrees from respectable state schools struggling and wondering if their collegiate efforts were all worth it. Then I see people with Ivy and post-graduate degrees crowing about their successes.

So, one has to be a blue-blooded New England family legacy WASP or a superstar in their field to even get a second look? Jesus...I'd almost rather be a loser and work a **** job than to deal with such pressure and potential for failure.

I watch our nation and our evolving economy with trepidation and horror. It used to be that one could walk out of high school and into the local mill and support a family off of one income. Now, what do we have? What is our future - a nation of service industry drones barely scraping by and the hyper-educated elite who run the whole machine. Is this healthy for our society?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:44 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,034,820 times
I guess if you like math would it just be better to get a degree in accounting or economics?

I got a degree in graphic design and that was pretty worthless. Had to change careers

Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 AM

77,855 posts, read 60,016,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
My interest and incredulity are always piqued with threads like this. I see people with bachelor's degrees from respectable state schools struggling and wondering if their collegiate efforts were all worth it. Then I see people with Ivy and post-graduate degrees crowing about their successes.

So, one has to be a blue-blooded New England family legacy WASP or a superstar in their field to even get a second look? Jesus...I'd almost rather be a loser and work a **** job than to deal with such pressure and potential for failure.

I watch our nation and our evolving economy with trepidation and horror. It used to be that one could walk out of high school and into the local mill and support a family off of one income. Now, what do we have? What is our future - a nation of service industry drones barely scraping by and the hyper-educated elite who run the whole machine. Is this healthy for our society?
I think this is a perception bias. Lots of threads around where the ivy folks have 150k in debt and jobs are tight.

P.S. I work as an actuary and it's true the field has tightened up since it got flooded with people a while back.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,127,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think this is a perception bias. Lots of threads around where the ivy folks have 150k in debt and jobs are tight.

P.S. I work as an actuary and it's true the field has tightened up since it got flooded with people a while back.
I would have to say of all the people we went to college with and now our KIDS that are in college, those that went to private schools come out with MUCH less debt then those that went to public/state schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities