Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times

Advertisements

do you read the papers lately dont even think of getting a worthless expensive degree from a 4 year school. . get a trade, jr college low cost no debt VE. my favorite pick RN, shortest route, LVN 42 units then crossover program to RN 30 units. dodge a mountain of useless prerequisites. most americans want the prestige of college. most need a trade and dont need more debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,485 times
One of the best things to do, and most people forget, is calling a school you are interested in and talking to their admission departments. More and more schools have adult programs for non-traditional students who are older and have worked. Further, sometimes these programs have ideas for scholarships, and at least where to look to apply for funding. Keep in mind my experience is with colleges and universities, and not with community colleges which would be a different case because they do tend to have more non-traditional and older students.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM

150 posts, read 467,033 times
I guess I should clarify some things.

I am dead set on film, this is my life's passion. I want to (ultimately) write and direct my own features. I've already got a sort of decent reel from projects I've done on my own over the last few years.

Basically, I need to immediately escape where I live and go to a place where I can at least have a shot at doing what I enjoy and am good at. With the jobs available in my neck of the woods, I'd be doing good to land $8.00 an hour for 25 hours a week. It would take me forever to save up enough money to get safely move to L.A., years and years, and I've got living expenses to worry about as well.

There just aren't any flippin' jobs to be had here and every day I spend visiting businesses, applying online, and searching the classifieds for barely above minimum wage factory labor; I can feel my brain dying just a little bit more... I'd rather be under huge amounts of debt and working to better myself than living in a wasteland with no future.

I do appreciate the very relevant and cautionary advice about taking up a solid trade, but this just won't work for me. The reason I'm doing this, the reason I'm determined to actually get out there and accomplish something, is because I've spent the last decade killing myself just to make ends meet when I should have been out there following my dreams. Right now I am unemployed, broke, and have bills piling up left and right and no prospects for a new job. I've got to do something drastic because I've been trying to make this work for years and it's just not happening. I am incapable of finding happiness in a simple life of repairing air conditioners and plumbing in a small rural town.

Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited by The_Rambler; 05-26-2010 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,212,234 times
I would start by trying to get an IN with someone. The Mississippi Film Commission is just starting to collaborate on a new production to be shot in Greenwood, MS, which is not too far away from you. If you could get on the staff, even at a very low level, you could very likely make the contacts that would help you make your next move. I even advise to work for free to get experience if you can afford it. Then move to CA and get a job, while attending a CC. After a year, you would be eligible for in-state tuition.

Don't give up on your dream without trying for it first. You will always regret it. If you try it and you don't like it, at least you will know that you went for it.

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:03 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,436,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
every day I spend visiting businesses, applying online, and searching the classifieds for barely above minimum wage factory labor; I can feel my brain dying just a little bit more... I'd rather be under huge amounts of debt and working to better myself than living in a wasteland with no future.
um, what stopped you from just up and moving at any point over these last 10 years? Fear of the road? Of the unknown? It wouldn't have been worse than $8 x25hr, would it? I feel you are taking stock now as the large 30 looming. I moved, just up and moved across the world, with no language, at 31. You have to take the plunge if that's what you want. You'll be able to find the same $8/hr job anywhere. Just move. Be close to what you want to do and you'll find more info than asking questions from Alabama. Swim! You'll be able to get FAFSA or similar anywhere.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
do you read the papers lately dont even think of getting a worthless expensive degree from a 4 year school. . get a trade, jr college low cost no debt VE. my favorite pick RN, shortest route, LVN 42 units then crossover program to RN 30 units. dodge a mountain of useless prerequisites. most americans want the prestige of college. most need a trade and dont need more debt.
It isn't easy getting into an RN program and YES, there are science prerequisites that need to be met. Also, most programs in CA have extensive waiting lists and demand high grades, especially in the biology prerequisites.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,648,789 times
When I read this thread, I thought I had started it!

I'm in the same boat. 30 with nothing to show for it. All I have is to my name is a mailbox.

How does one find out what he wants to do for a career? I literally have no idea. I've been working on a ranch since I was 18. People keep telling me "you're smart, get the hell out of here!". I don't know what to do. I don't feel like a slave. I just want a life that is of better quality. I want a college degree, but how? In what? I want to stop being so damn broke. I'm not sure if I want enter a trade. Trades are constantly threatened by politics and progress.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,243,867 times
You sound somewhat smart, I think somewhat smart people go far (relatively) in the military. They pay education, rent, and a living wage.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,648,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
You sound somewhat smart, I think somewhat smart people go far (relatively) in the military. They pay education, rent, and a living wage.
Enlisting would be great. I strongly feel the military would shape me up and give me a great moral boost. However, I have a hearing disability thus barring me from enlisting. If that wasn't the deal-breaker, I probably would have enlisted years ago.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:08 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,423,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
The reason I'm doing this, the reason I'm determined to actually get out there and accomplish something, is because I've spent the last decade killing myself just to make ends meet when I should have been out there following my dreams.
Just one more word of cautionary advice...take it or leave it..

Making it in film / hollywood is like making it into the NBA - a lucky / highly talented few will make it, the rest will not. You may be just as likely to be killing yourself making ends meet even after getting that degree.

I'm not saying don't follow your dreams. You have to know what risks you're willing to take. I'm saying go into this with eyes wide open, not with false expectations and rose-colored glasses. Don't just put all your money on the gambling table and blindly hit on 19.

Do a lot of research. Find whatever you can on prospects for people in your job area. Find out everything you can about what their lives are like, what opportunities there are, how competitive they are, what expectations for success are, how much they pay. Talk with anyone you can who could have insight into the fields you're pursuing. The more you know going in about what your chances really look like, the better equipped you are to properly assess the risk of your choices and deal with the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities