Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 AM

177 posts, read 471,302 times

Advertisements

trying to study for the tests has become more stressful day to day. the info is being crammed into 10 weeks from a 16 week class curriculum. any ideas or study help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,888 times
I took anatomy and physiology a few semesters ago. It is a LOT to digest. You have to devote time to studying. Making flash cards with index cards is great. Also checking out websites on anatomy and physiology. Are you going to be a nurse? This is why I dont recommend taking A&P over the summer unless you absolutely have to. Its much better if you take it in a full semester. Some people also form study groups, but I preferred to study by myself since I have my own way of doing things. Well here are some sources:

A&P Help...from my brain to yours! - Nursing for Nurses
Anatomy and Physiology Links
Websites... - Nursing for Nurses

Good luck I hope you get an A in the class! Study hard!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
There are some really good anatomy and physiology e-flash cards that can be downloaded to mental case on an iphone or other app ready smart phone. My brother used them alot for the mechanisms for orgo and he found it really helpful to be able to study anywhere any time.

It also kept stats for him on which ones he was getting right and wrong to make it more effective.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
I'll go with the flash cards, too.
Make a question out of the key information for every paragraph in the chapter, and get a young teenager to quiz you. The mocking and ego-destruction is a great impetus to remember the answers. And yes, I'm serious-- the 12yo will remember it a lot better than you will.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,878 times
A&P I or A&P II? Does the class focus more on the anatomy or the physiology? Is it just lecture or lecture and lab?

1. Do you have a clear outline of exactly what it is you need to know? In other words, don't waste your time studying things that won't be on the test.
2. How much time are you actually studying? You need a good 3 hours a day for a 10 week class.
3. Does your textbook come with an online component that has animations?
4. You can google anatomy classes and find lots of condensed notes and pics of models used in most schools. If you use one of the more common books, you can find sets of notes and even powerpoints specific to your textbook.
5. Are you taking notes, paying attention, and/or recording your professor during class?
6. How are your grades in class right now?
7. How exactly do you study for this class?

I know a lot of people have said use flashcards. That's all fine and good for A&P I if you're trying to learn terminology or memorize the actions of muscles. This will NOT work if you're trying to learn the physiology of the urinary system. However, this will depend on the rigor of the course.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:44 PM

the teacher doesnt give study guides so we dont know whats on the test.
each test covers over 150 pages of notes and its hard to narrow it down to specifics because
some minor details are thrown in the tests.

for the test today, i started last tuesday and studied over 3-4 hours per day. i still failed the test.

ive tried using the online sources and they do seem to help a little along with using printed pictures of the models.

i dont take notes because the teacher reads word for word whats on teh powerpoint that is printed and handed out at class.

i have made a 58 on the first test. and failed miserably on the first practicum. i studied over 40 hours memorizing different parts of the body and still didnt get through all the material. as my luck would have it, only 9 out of the 25 questions were from the material i studeid.

ive tried making note cards and index cards but that takes more time than what its worth.
i also make copies of every important model with its info and study that, shuffling all the pages and then quizzing myself on what each model is of and each part.

the class is a four hour split class. first 2 hours are lecture, which has its own tests, and the 2nd 2 hours are lab, which has its own tests. each part has a class every other week. meaning i have a test every week that rotates from lab to lecture test material. i spend 7 days studying for each test.

i just feel like theres no end to the material. i spent 3 hours memorizing all the major body landmarks last week. the next day i forgot it and went over it all again. i finally learned it and guess what? on 3 questinos on the test were about identifying body landmarks....the prob is that i have to make a C or better to get into the nusing program up here...

Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 PM

its a&p I btw...i have 4 more lecture test, 4 more practicums, and the final.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM

48 posts, read 196,147 times
Perhaps you're just not a "memorizer"? If that's the case, you'll have a long road ahead of you if you're pursuing nursing. Are you passionate about the human body and learning as much as possible? I only bring this up b/c I had a **** of a time memorizing information for Political science when I was in undergrad. I was pre-med but no matter how hard I tried, I could barely memorize information for my test. Why? I had ZERO interest in the material. Zero!

So, how interested are you in the material? If it's just something you're trying to make yourself get through (i.e. not really interested), you'll struggle during the class. This is why this class is a weed-out class. Programs (medical, nursing, etc.) can tell where your interests lie by how you perform in A&P.

On the other hand, if you are a good memorizer, maybe you should study 5+hrs/day. When I too A&P, I studied for 12hrs/day. Granted, I was in a graduate school program and we probably had more information to remember, but perhaps you could do that? Not 12hrs but at least 5hrs. Fyi--I had to study for 12+hrs/day (3 days before the test) b/c I'm a procrastinator. Lol.

Btw, I hear summer sessions of A&P are brutal. I'd definitely be studying more than 3-4hrs/day; you should study @ least 2-3hrs/day during a regular session A&P course.

Best wishes!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM

48 posts, read 196,147 times
P.S. If you're not a memorizer, you can read the info before class and it'll kind of be review when your prof reviews the material? Or you can be like my friend an re-write your notes after class. Oorrr you can draw diagrams...if you're a visual learner.

If you're not a memorizer, flashcards will not do you justice. I've had friends who weren't memorizers and trying to learn, via flashcards, was a dead end road.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Is there more than one section of the class? Maybe you could attend it twice?

With a two-hour lecture, you should be studying at least 6-8 hours a day outside class. You could record your classes so that you can really pay attention to what the instructor is saying. Then go and put your notes directly in your computer. That will make it easier to sort out what you know from what you need to study.

Try to concentrate on mastering a small amount at a time, taking short breaks to allow your brain to assimilate what you're taking in.

If the situation looks too bleak, drop the class before you ruin your GPA. Summer school pacing can be brutal.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities